Question for atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
19-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Question for atheists...
Greetings all,

My question is for the atheists out there. This is a serious question and I'd like serious answers. Let's try to keep the bullshit to a minimum, shall we?

Now, as we all know, when you ask atheists about their lack of belief in God, they will say things like "I don't believe in God, just like I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy" (insert as many make-believe characters you'd like).

That being said, I am a Christian Theist, so I can only look through the lens of Christianity (Judeo-Christianity)..so..

My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?? Because to me, if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

Is that how you atheists view Christians? Do you really believe that our belief in God is similar to belief in Santa Claus..or is that just something you say to be facetious??

Is it to the extent where you pass by a Church on Sunday, and you see all of the Church attendees in the parking lot greeting each other...and you say to yourself "What a bunch of idiots..."

Is that what you think? I am just curious, as I am trying to figure out how far to the left some of you are on the "belief" line Laugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Call_of_the_Wild's post
19-03-2016, 09:58 AM
RE: Question for atheists...
A better analogy is to belief in Ganesh or Zeus. But there is much more physical evidence for Santa the tooth fairy than for the Christian god. The tooth fairy makes promises of money for teeth that are fulfilled. Tooth fairy believers have the quarters or dollars to prove it. The people who argue there is no tooth fairy, just parents, ignore the possibility that the tooth fairy is working through the parents to keep its pledge for children. And at least the tooth fairy keeps most of the promises it makes to believers, unlike the Christian deity.
[+] 14 users Like julep's post
19-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Your belief is equivalent to belief in the tooth-fairy or Santa Claus. Yes.

It merely has a book and several thousand years of cult following, which don't make it more true.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 8 users Like morondog's post
19-03-2016, 10:03 AM
My honest reply?
I really don't think much about it one way or the other, so I don't really know if I think they're just as silly or not. I suppose if pressed for an answer I'd say yes, but I probably wouldn't consider it for more than a couple minutes.

For me, the whole "I don't believe in God like I don't believe in Santa Claus." is not about about the 'silliness factor', but about the evidence. No matter how silly something might seem, if it's real it's real. And conversely, no matter how logical something might seem, if it's not real it's not real.
I don't not believe in Santa because he seems silly, I don't believe in Santa because there's insufficient evidence for him. Same goes for Jehovah.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like LostLocke's post
19-03-2016, 10:10 AM
I feel several things , one is an enormous amount of empathy and pity. If people in that church were well educated about how the bible was written:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-YL-lv3RY

then they would not subject themselves to the awful things that they were taught to believe about it. I feel that the church certainly exploits them. I feel it causes a great deal of psychological damage to people too, which may have life long consequences. Finally, I used to think it was harmless to believe in "magic", (such as the various religions,) and now I think of it as very dangerous to society.
[+] 10 users Like carol's post
19-03-2016, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2016 05:24 PM by DLJ.)
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Greetings all,

And to you too, sir.

(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  ...
My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy??

Not synonymous but certainly similar. Hence the use of that kind of simile.

if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

Except, I do understand it... memetically and genetically.

Is that how you atheists view Christians? Do you really believe that our belief in God is similar to belief in Santa Claus..or is that just something you say to be facetious??

Despite my degree in facetiousness, yes.

Many of the christians I meet are filipinas and yes, they actually have been taught to believe that a rainbow is a sign from their god!

Childhood indoctrination is a powerful tool.

And of course, they are cafeteria christians who will pick and choose the nice bits of the doctrine (which they have not studied).

Most of the muslims I live amongst are mocktail muslims© in the same way that Europe has its cultural christians... so they don't really live their lives like they are under permanent celestial supernatural supervision. If asked if they believe in allah, they'll say "yes" but that's more about tradition.

"Do you enjoy celebrating christmas / ramadan etc?" Also, "Yes".

Is it to the extent where you pass by a Church on Sunday, and you see all of the Church attendees in the parking lot greeting each other...and you say to yourself "What a bunch of idiots..."

In truth, I feel pity... "What a bunch of idiots victims ..."

They are ignorant in the sense of not having had the any useful critical-thinking-apps uploaded to their necktops when they were young and live in a society where it's normal to e.g. pray five times a day and women are simultaneously sexualised and de-sexualised by have to cover their hair in public.

They are not ignorant in the sense of lacking intelligence.

I am trying to figure out how far to the left some of you are on the "belief" line Laugh out load

Critical-thinking and sympathy are on the left?

That's news to me.

Huh

ps. Thread moved to the Ask An Atheist section.

UPDATE: Thread moved to The Colosseum as this turns out to be not a genuine investigation into what atheists think.

Anyone surprised?

Big Grin

[+] 17 users Like DLJ's post
19-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Lemmings all going off a cliff at the same time doesn't make the drop any shorter................

So it is with religion.

The number of believers doesn't make fiction fact.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
19-03-2016, 11:41 AM
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Greetings all,

My question is for the atheists out there. This is a serious question and I'd like serious answers. Let's try to keep the bullshit to a minimum, shall we?

Now, as we all know, when you ask atheists about their lack of belief in God, they will say things like "I don't believe in God, just like I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy" (insert as many make-believe characters you'd like).

That being said, I am a Christian Theist, so I can only look through the lens of Christianity (Judeo-Christianity)..so..

My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?? Because to me, if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

Is that what you think? I am just curious, as I am trying to figure out how far to the left some of you are on the "belief" line Laugh out load

My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy? YES ? Because to me, if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

Is that how you atheists view Christians? Do you really believe that our belief in God is similar to belief in Santa Claus..or is that just something you say to be facetious?? YES

Is it to the extent where you pass by a Church on Sunday, and you see all of the Church attendees in the parking lot greeting each other...and you say to yourself "What a bunch of idiots..." YES

Is that what you think? YES

THIS: "I am just curious, as I am trying to figure out how far to the left some of you are on the "belief" line."

Is just rude and trollish. There is no belief line. Like your gods, it is imaginary.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
19-03-2016, 12:20 PM
I would use the Santa Clause analogy if people are raised and taught it as truth, routinely have their beliefs reinforced via meetings/readings, AND are discouraged from questioning it/ignoring naysayers throughout their child and adult life.

Otherwise, I'd say we're talking about two different...levels of belief.

I don't view religious as stupid or idiots (cept for the WBC). Rather, most are quite intelligent, they're just locked in a belief system and community that's quite difficult to leave.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
19-03-2016, 12:20 PM
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy??

Yep. I see no difference except for more massive propaganda for one over the others. And the threat of eternal damnation if you don't believe. Otherwise, they're all constructs of humans. The degree of belief in no wise relates to the degree of reality.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post