Question for atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
30-03-2016, 02:37 PM
RE: Question for atheists...
(30-03-2016 11:47 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Here I will give you the results of a controlled test:
9 apples exist each with 10 exact components = 90 components (pick any number you want, practical science will limit you eventually & I'm speaking about what "we know" here or go find a church)
All the scientific tests will eventually reveal these components cannot be divided any further. <---- the indivisible parts you were asking for
You will never end up with more or less than 10 components per apple. Therefore 10/90 is the reality of the total components.
10/90 does not represent an infinite amount of components per apple as far as scientific testing and current knowledge is concerned.
There will never be 100/900 components or anything infinitely larger as far as the reality of the apples are concerned.

Let us ignore, for the moment, the fact that this assumes the (again, unproven) discrete nature of the universe. Let us also ignore that 10/90 is equivalent to 100/900, 1/9, and every other variant, despite the above scoffing. Let us even ignore that Shane does not understand what the phrase "controlled test" means, and simply applies it to anything that he pleases as if the words alone magically make it valid, and that he fails to differentiate between simply counting the components in each apple with creating a valid mathematical model of the situation (which includes but is not limited to counting).

Let us set all of this idiocy aside, and move on to the rest of his blithering madness.

(30-03-2016 11:47 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  What is the use of mentioning an infinite amount of recurring decimals, denominators, numerators when we already have a specific answer to the question of how many apples we got?
Infinity is useless & meaningless as far as examining physical reality is concerned except for the purpose of speculation and mental fappery.

Literally all of Shane's argument boils down to "I don't see the point of using decimal notation for 1/9, so saying that it results in an infinitely repeating string of digits is dumb, and thus infinity is a useless concept in using mathematics to model reality".

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the type of mental giant that we should all cower in fear of. I'd bring up basic calculus and the idea of the limit again, but I'm afraid his head would explode.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Unbeliever's post
30-03-2016, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2016 03:06 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(30-03-2016 02:37 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 11:47 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Here I will give you the results of a controlled test:
9 apples exist each with 10 exact components = 90 components (pick any number you want, practical science will limit you eventually & I'm speaking about what "we know" here or go find a church)
All the scientific tests will eventually reveal these components cannot be divided any further. <---- the indivisible parts you were asking for
You will never end up with more or less than 10 components per apple. Therefore 10/90 is the reality of the total components.
10/90 does not represent an infinite amount of components per apple as far as scientific testing and current knowledge is concerned.
There will never be 100/900 components or anything infinitely larger as far as the reality of the apples are concerned.

Let us ignore, for the moment, the fact that this assumes the (again, unproven) discrete nature of the universe. Let us also ignore that 10/90 is equivalent to 100/900, 1/9, and every other variant, despite the above scoffing. Let us even ignore that Shane does not understand what the phrase "controlled test" means, and simply applies it to anything that he pleases as if the words alone magically make it valid, and that he fails to differentiate between simply counting the components in each apple with creating a valid mathematical model of the situation (which includes but is not limited to counting).

Let us set all of this idiocy aside, and move on to the rest of his blithering madness.

(30-03-2016 11:47 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  What is the use of mentioning an infinite amount of recurring decimals, denominators, numerators when we already have a specific answer to the question of how many apples we got?
Infinity is useless & meaningless as far as examining physical reality is concerned except for the purpose of speculation and mental fappery.

Literally all of Shane's argument boils down to "I don't see the point of using decimal notation for 1/9, so saying that it results in an infinitely repeating string of digits is dumb, and thus infinity is a useless concept in using mathematics to model reality".

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the type of mental giant that we should all cower in fear of. I'd bring up basic calculus and the idea of the limit again, but I'm afraid his head would explode.
Why are you assuming that you have 100/900 components when you know there is only 10/90?
10 out of 90 components is not the same as 100 out of 900 components.
They have two different meanings in reality.
What is this sorcery you are doing?
New Atheist religion is my idea. I call copyright infringement.
30-03-2016, 03:06 PM
(30-03-2016 03:00 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Why are you assuming that you have 100/900 components when you know there is only 10/90?

(30-03-2016 02:37 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Let us also ignore that 10/90 is equivalent to 100/900, 1/9, and every other variant, despite the above scoffing.

...he fails to differentiate between simply counting the components in each apple with creating a valid mathematical model of the situation (which includes but is not limited to counting).

I'd tell you to read my posts before responding, but we both know it wouldn't make a bit of difference. You lack the capacity to understand them regardless of whether or not you pretend to be making an effort.

In fact, the only reason I bother making this reply is to highlight to those reading that, as with every other post for the past five pages or so, I have called exactly what your next response will be, explained why it will be wrong, and been exactly correct every single time. You can't even avoid making mistakes that have been pointed out to you in advance.

Just leave, Shane. You aren't even being inventively stupid at this point. You're just boring.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
30-03-2016, 03:08 PM
(30-03-2016 02:37 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  This, ladies and gentlemen, is the type of mental giant that we should all cower in fear of. I'd bring up basic calculus and the idea of the limit again, but I'm afraid his head would explode.

I'd like to know what contribution other than copious jacking off the scion of agnostic wit has made to human knowledge?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
30-03-2016, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2016 03:19 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(30-03-2016 03:06 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 03:00 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Why are you assuming that you have 100/900 components when you know there is only 10/90?

(30-03-2016 02:37 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Let us also ignore that 10/90 is equivalent to 100/900, 1/9, and every other variant, despite the above scoffing.

...he fails to differentiate between simply counting the components in each apple with creating a valid mathematical model of the situation (which includes but is not limited to counting).

I'd tell you to read my posts before responding, but we both know it wouldn't make a bit of difference. You lack the capacity to understand them regardless of whether or not you pretend to be making an effort.

In fact, the only reason I bother making this reply is to highlight to those reading that, as with every other post for the past five pages or so, I have called exactly what your next response will be, explained why it will be wrong, and been exactly correct every single time. You can't even avoid making mistakes that have been pointed out to you in advance.

Just leave, Shane. You aren't even being inventively stupid at this point. You're just boring.
Ok. Let's play a game shall we:
We have a situation.
Your life depends on it.
If you get the right answer you will live.
You have before you 90 balls.
You are asked to remove 10 balls.
You are now asked a very specific question.
How many balls did you remove from the total balls?
1 out of 9
10 out of 90
100 out of 900

Think carefully or your life is forfeit.

They all mean the same thing right? Bang your dead!

In physical reality 1.111111 infinite means nothing except as a guess.
1/9, 10/90, 100/900 holds meaning.

Infinity has no uses except as an unspecified number which will always yield an unspecified amount.
30-03-2016, 03:19 PM
(30-03-2016 03:16 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Ok. Let's play a game shall we:
We have a situation.
Your life depends on it.

(30-03-2016 02:37 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  ...he fails to differentiate between simply counting the components in each apple with creating a valid mathematical model of the situation (which includes but is not limited to counting).

Here's a hint, Shane: you are still talking about the former, when the thing you are attempting to argue against requires you to confront the latter.

And we're up to three posts in a row making the same mistake. Let's see how many more we can add.

[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
30-03-2016, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2016 04:39 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(30-03-2016 03:19 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 03:16 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Ok. Let's play a game shall we:
We have a situation.
Your life depends on it.

(30-03-2016 02:37 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  ...he fails to differentiate between simply counting the components in each apple with creating a valid mathematical model of the situation (which includes but is not limited to counting).

Here's a hint, Shane: you are still talking about the former, when the thing you are attempting to argue against requires you to confront the latter.

And we're up to three posts in a row making the same mistake. Let's see how many more we can add.
Here's a hint.
We are talking about examples of infinity in physical reality.
There is none that we know of.
We have limits.
If you are going to be arguing on behalf of infinity then provide your evidence.

You're using semantics to win your argument without providing any evidence of an infinitely divisible set of components.

Provide me an example of just 1 infinite thing in reality.

Also it might irk you to know but I am not going to provide evidence against infinity because I am not saying that infinity does not exist either.
So please if you dare to make a claim, dare to back it up.
Or shut the fornication under command of the king up.
30-03-2016, 04:41 PM
(30-03-2016 03:08 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 02:37 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  This, ladies and gentlemen, is the type of mental giant that we should all cower in fear of. I'd bring up basic calculus and the idea of the limit again, but I'm afraid his head would explode.

I'd like to know what contribution other than copious jacking off the scion of agnostic wit has made to human knowledge?

Seems you joined in late buddy.
The ones trying to prove infinity exists regardless of any physical evidence are the ones fapping.
I'm the one laughing at the hypocrisy of the whole idea coming from an Atheist.
30-03-2016, 05:21 PM
(30-03-2016 03:16 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 03:06 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I'd tell you to read my posts before responding, but we both know it wouldn't make a bit of difference. You lack the capacity to understand them regardless of whether or not you pretend to be making an effort.

Ok. Let's play a game shall we:
We have a situation.
Your life depends on it.
1 out of 9
10 out of 90
100 out of 900

Think carefully or your life is forfeit.

They all mean the same thing right? Bang your dead!

In physical reality 1.111111 infinite means nothing except as a guess.
1/9, 10/90, 100/900 holds meaning.

Infinity has no uses except as an unspecified number which will always yield an unspecified amount.

No, Shane.
One point one repeating is the decimal notation of 1/9. I'm sorry that you don't like it, but that does not make it less true.

You do not understand numbers.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
30-03-2016, 05:23 PM
(30-03-2016 04:35 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  [quote='Unbeliever' pid='972291' dateline='1459372772']
Provide me an example of just 1 infinite thing in reality.

The number of points between any two points. And, no, this is not limited by the Planck length.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post