Question for atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
18-04-2016, 04:16 AM
RE: Question for atheists...
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Greetings all,

My question is for the atheists out there. This is a serious question and I'd like serious answers. Let's try to keep the bullshit to a minimum, shall we?

Now, as we all know, when you ask atheists about their lack of belief in God, they will say things like "I don't believe in God, just like I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy" (insert as many make-believe characters you'd like).

That being said, I am a Christian Theist, so I can only look through the lens of Christianity (Judeo-Christianity)..so..

My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?? Because to me, if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

Is that how you atheists view Christians? Do you really believe that our belief in God is similar to belief in Santa Claus..or is that just something you say to be facetious??

Is it to the extent where you pass by a Church on Sunday, and you see all of the Church attendees in the parking lot greeting each other...and you say to yourself "What a bunch of idiots..."

Is that what you think? I am just curious, as I am trying to figure out how far to the left some of you are on the "belief" line Laugh out load

Yes
Yes
No
Yes
Yes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2016, 06:31 AM
(17-04-2016 05:41 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Greetings all,

My question is for the atheists out there. This is a serious question and I'd like serious answers. Let's try to keep the bullshit to a minimum, shall we?

Now, as we all know, when you ask atheists about their lack of belief in God, they will say things like "I don't believe in God, just like I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy" (insert as many make-believe characters you'd like).

That being said, I am a Christian Theist, so I can only look through the lens of Christianity (Judeo-Christianity)..so..

My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?? Because to me, if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

Is that how you atheists view Christians? Do you really believe that our belief in God is similar to belief in Santa Claus..or is that just something you say to be facetious??

Is it to the extent where you pass by a Church on Sunday, and you see all of the Church attendees in the parking lot greeting each other...and you say to yourself "What a bunch of idiots..."

Is that what you think? I am just curious, as I am trying to figure out how far to the left some of you are on the "belief" line Laugh out load

Not every atheists puts the argument like that no, but we are all still in the "off " position. I do agree with equating ALL god claims to Santa. The only difference between Santa and god claims is only one is confused to be fact and the other is accepted as fiction.

Humans project their own qualities, narcissism, and fears on the world around them and that is how god claims and religions get created, they are nothing more than a reflection of us.

There is a real psychological reason humans falsely make up and believe in gods. When our species was early on in our evolution, we sought patterns, but the problem is we didn't evolve with the modern knowledge of scientific method we have now, with the quality control of testing and falsification and control groups to insure our perceptions of reality were real, so we ended up gap filling with very bad guesses.

It is literally no different than convincing a toddler who does not have an adult brain that Santa is real. If you want to believe something badly enough you will.

When humans point to the popularity of religion they like to call it the "god gene" and that is bullshit. There is no god gene, there is merely our evolution, and unfortunately reality is messy and we did not evolve with perfect perceptions and even today most humans don't like to consider that they are merely projecting their own qualities on the world around them as a false perception that people call god/s.

I disagree with toddlers believing in santa because they simply want to or that they don't have an adult brain. Toddlers are skeptical and ask questions to test it. They are told by their parents that santa is real and their parents often leave evidence, such as letters and half eaten cookies. I know my parents did. Also, people with "adult brains" believe in their religion they were fooled into when they were young. Only difference is that at some point someone told them santa does not exist. Nobody has let the cat out of the bag when it comes to gods and religions yet. So much money in it that I don't think they ever will.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
21-04-2016, 05:26 AM
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Is it to the extent where you pass by a Church on Sunday, and you see all of the Church attendees in the parking lot greeting each other...and you say to yourself "What a bunch of idiots..."

When I was a devout christian, I thought that atheist/muslim/buddist/hindu etc. followers were idiots. Now that I'm no longer part of the divine calling, I do not see christian/muslim/buddist/hindu followers as idiots. Why?

What you believe, you believe as good, true and as a basis for living your life. Although I might not agree with you, I have no right in saying that you are an idiot, as the same can then be said about me. As a person that has experience of both sides of the coin, my understanding has allowed me to view things differently. I no longer feel as though I have to proof a point and show someone how "wrong" they are. I'm open to discussion but will NOT allow myself to get into an argument - let's agree to disagree. The faith in your god/deity is just as strong as my conviction against it. The only way that either you or me are going to change our view/believe is if we come to our own conclusion of what is real or not and important to us.

Spoon feeding in the long run, teaches nothing but the shape of the spoon! E.M. Forster
[+] 3 users Like stcomza's post
26-05-2016, 11:32 PM
The only similarity is the complete lack of evidence for claims of both Santa and a divine Jesus. However, there is a ton of explanatory and emotional power in believing the myth of Christ. It answers all of the big questions, albeit with false hope rather than tested evidence. It provides you with a sense of community and purpose. And it gives you a promise of an afterlife. These are all powerful motivators for belief. So no, not all atheists look at you like an idiot believing in santa claus. But I think if you take the time to unpack your beliefs and examine them in an honest way that the shaky foundation on which they stand will be revealed. All of the positive rewards you gain from religion can be achieved in a purer more beatiiful way by believing in things that can be demonstrated as true.
[+] 5 users Like Rusty drummer's post
30-05-2016, 11:42 AM
(28-03-2016 03:08 PM)Dracomalice Wrote:  
(28-03-2016 02:51 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  He didn't go through "all of the trouble"...he already had a separate profile. This other "dude" only has a handful of posts, and one of those "handful" of posts just HAPPENS to be geared towards me on the subject of Hilbert's Hotel...the same subject that Chas wanted to get spanked on?

I ain't Columbo, but cmonnn. Laugh out load

Second, I can dismantle his argument, as I've done before in the same thread that I keep trying to get him to return to.

Third, even if his post does destroy my argument (which it doesn't), that would mean that he accomplished more in one post than you did in your many towards me. Laughat

Child, please. I didn't address the "logic" of the post because I think it is Chas...and I already told him that I won't engage him on the matter.

I would have you repost his post so that the post will be coming from you and not him, but the problem is, when I demolish it, you will be unable to answer my objections, because you obviously don't know what the hell is going on with it...you are just cheerleading his post because it "sounds good".

So please, go back to wherever you came from. My mind is really focused on the arguments for the Resurrection, and I am looking to engage someone with a discussion on that.

Like I said, I got bigger fish to fry.
Quote:He didn't go through "all of the trouble"...he already had a separate profile. This other "dude" only has a handful of posts, and one of those "handful" of posts just HAPPENS to be geared towards me on the subject of Hilbert's Hotel...the same subject that Chas wanted to get spanked on?

1.yup I have a handful of posts because I haven't been around for months and I'm not a frequent poster on this forum

2. wanting to challenge you on the same subject no more makes chas then it makes me Charles Barkley

3. lastly if I was chas then I went to a lot of trouble to write a totally unnecessary intro just so i could pretend I'm not chas some times lol

4. the reason I choose this thread and that subject the
Thread is recent
Hilberts hotel was being discussed

As to your table-thumping about how invincible all knowing you seem to think you are if that's the case you surely have not displayed it on this forum perhaps your confusing it for http://www.mydelusionsofgrandeur.com or egomaniacs.org

I ain't Columbo
too true more like Clouseau

Oh and PS
I'm not a "dude"

pascal wager in a nut shell

god essentially wants a army of cowardly slaves who love it out of a selfish desire not to be punished and avoid said punishment by ideological luck
01-06-2016, 02:57 PM
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?? Because to me, if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

It's not too hard to understand. Joseph Smith interpreting golden plates for humanity is as incredulous to the Christians as Moses and his stone plates is to atheists. Religion's fiction is as obvious as the leprechaun's or Santa's. Blatant, obvious fable.
[+] 3 users Like TSNest's post
01-06-2016, 03:10 PM
(26-05-2016 11:32 PM)Rusty drummer Wrote:  The only similarity is the complete lack of evidence for claims of both Santa and a divine Jesus. However, there is a ton of explanatory and emotional power in believing the myth of Christ. It answers all of the big questions, albeit with false hope rather than tested evidence. It provides you with a sense of community and purpose. And it gives you a promise of an afterlife. These are all powerful motivators for belief. So no, not all atheists look at you like an idiot believing in santa claus. But I think if you take the time to unpack your beliefs and examine them in an honest way that the shaky foundation on which they stand will be revealed. All of the positive rewards you gain from religion can be achieved in a purer more beatiiful way by believing in things that can be demonstrated as true.

welcome to the forums! You could make an intro post in the proper thread, but it looks like you'll fit right in Smile
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
01-06-2016, 06:25 PM
(01-06-2016 02:57 PM)TSNest Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?? Because to me, if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

It's not too hard to understand. Joseph Smith interpreting golden plates for humanity is as incredulous to the Christians as Moses and his stone plates is to atheists. Religion's fiction is as obvious as the leprechaun's or Santa's. Blatant, obvious fable.

never ever ever engage the OP, he is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off into his own dimension. Several of us have given him long winded and extended ass beatings where upon giving up, he declares himself a winner and goes onto another thread to shit all over the carpet.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 8 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
01-06-2016, 06:39 PM
I'll remember that.

Just a people on a rock without a clue.
[+] 1 user Likes TSNest's post
01-06-2016, 06:42 PM