Question for atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
13-03-2017, 12:22 AM
RE: Question for atheists...
(12-03-2017 09:35 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 10:25 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I'm Agnostic Atheist, but I have a theory that a sentient observer is most likely the cause of what we perceive as reality. That sentient observer is us.

And this "theory", like everything else you post, is utter nonsense.

(12-03-2017 10:25 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Our reality is only observed because we choose to observe it.

No.

(12-03-2017 10:25 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  All realities exist but it is only when we attempt to observe it that it can present itself for observation.

No.

(12-03-2017 10:25 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Reality, therefore, is not created but simply observed.

No.

(12-03-2017 10:25 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Amazing facts:
Perfectly identical twins never share the exact same personality. The only thing physically different about them from birth is their brain wave frequency.

No.

(12-03-2017 10:25 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  E=mc2 therefore nothing can be created or destroyed within a closed system.

No.

(12-03-2017 10:25 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  In this system 2 or more observers will only end up observing the same reality depending on which path they choose.

No.

(12-03-2017 10:25 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  All observers are removed parts of a single bored sentient source (is one)
When we die our personality goes back to the source (alpha/omega)

No.

(12-03-2017 10:25 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Specific observers can enter the system more than once if the source wills (dejavu/reincarnation)

No.

(12-03-2017 10:25 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Less observers = bored source (thou shall not kill/10 commandments/blah blah)
Source has no power over reality (global suffering)
Source can only interfere with the system via special observers (prophets) but cannot change reality
We are a product of the sources boredom
If the full source entered the system all observers would become one and the system would crash
Time (a series of events) does not exist outside of the system
The system is always being influenced for the source's entertainment

No.

(12-03-2017 10:25 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Questions:
Why does the source need worship?
Where does the devil fit into all of this?
Where does hell fit into all of this?
What does it matter where we come from and where we are going if nothing we do can change it?

No, no, no, and no.

N-O NO.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
13-03-2017, 03:08 AM
(13-03-2017 12:22 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  

Close, but I think this better conveys the spirit of the thing:

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Unbeliever's post
13-03-2017, 05:13 AM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2017 05:18 AM by GirlyMan.)
(12-03-2017 03:23 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  This frequency is what defines the true self.
Every individual has their unique frequency.
I'll post the research shortly if you don't believe me.

Oh I believe you, Kenneth. Now gimme your wallet.

Actually, I have recently been doing some sinusoidal analysis on some actigraphy sleep data of like 40 people over 16 weeks looking at circadian rhythms and we do indeed each have our frequency but it's usually right around 1/24 hour period with our own differences in the decimals. Smile

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-03-2017, 11:23 AM
The only valid question a theist can ask an atheist is:

How would you, if you are so inclined, define the term "God"? IOW, what do you think "god", "gods" or even "God" is refering to? And then just watch what happens.

That's my take on it, theists. For today.
13-03-2017, 12:40 PM
(13-03-2017 11:23 AM)Billanja Wrote:  The only valid question a theist can ask an atheist is:

How would you, if you are so inclined, define the term "God"? IOW, what do you think "god", "gods" or even "God" is refering to? And then just watch what happens.

I don't. Why would I?

Defining god is for theists to do, and then they have the burden of supporting that definition. If they argue poorly - which they always do in my experience - I add it to the long list of things/deities other people believe that I don't.
[+] 5 users Like M. Linoge's post
14-03-2017, 02:24 AM
Yeah, I've heard that nonsense before.

I have to define your terms for you? Why, so you can tell me how wrong my idea of God is, when you won't tell me what yours is?

My whole position is that "God" is a meaningless term. It's whatever someone says it is, as far as I'm concerned.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
18-04-2017, 10:20 AM
(13-03-2017 11:23 AM)Billanja Wrote:  How would you, if you are so inclined, define the term "God"? IOW, what do you think "god", "gods" or even "God" is refering to? And then just watch what happens.
I have to wonder how Billanja defines atheist.

I mean, I am not just an atheist-against-Jehovah.

I do not believe that the existence of the universe can ONLY be explained by supernatural agency, so I am atheistic with respect to all the creator gods.

I do not find that human morality is inexplicable without a deity, so I am atheistic with respect to all the lawgivers.

I do not feel that coincidence is insufficient to explain good things happening to good people or bad things happening to bad people, so I am atheistic with respect to all the intercessors who are expected to answer prayer or benefit directly from any form of sacrifice.

I do not perceive a message or judgment in connection with hurricanes, earthquakes, flooding, cancer, AIDS; I do not perceive a message or forgiveness in the context of survivors, remission, or the discovery of cures; so I am atheistic with respect to all the divine judges, and their agents, that humanity has offered to explain things happening.

I know of no particular tradition whose adherents regularly outperform their peers with respect to protection from bombs, accidents, cancers, purges, stock market failures or plagues, so I am atheistic with respect to all the patron deities people claim.

I don't find Jehovah any more plausible than Zeus, Odin, Ptah or Amateratsu. And you could probably lump Cthulhu, Crom, Arioch, Anoia without much distinction.
[+] 2 users Like Missiletowe's post
19-04-2017, 02:30 AM
Whatever happened to this COTW dude?

19-04-2017, 02:54 AM
(19-04-2017 02:30 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Whatever happened to this COTW dude?

Got taken by the flying scorpion people faced locusts.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
19-04-2017, 06:51 AM
(19-04-2017 02:30 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Whatever happened to this COTW dude?

He eventually gave up, got tired or something. Mentioned he was going to make youtube videos. You didn't miss much, just another asshole for Jeebus.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post