Question for atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
20-03-2016, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2016 01:32 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
RE: Question for atheists...
(20-03-2016 01:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(20-03-2016 10:31 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Oh, my bad. I thought this was a forum where you actually discuss shit? Sorry about that. What was I thinking?

I am engaging in public conversation on a message forum. Again, I'm sorry if I violated in any rules, laws, or commandments.

I am forever at your mercy, morondog Bowing

Your stated purpose in starting this thread was to ask us the question - not to tell us why our answers were wrong. You just wanted another pointless thread to preach in - you weren't interested in the answers in the first place. Fucken troll.
I'm interested in his logic as to why he thinks your answers are wrong.
Cotw why do you think they are wrong? Assuming you think they are wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2016, 01:24 PM
(20-03-2016 12:34 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(20-03-2016 12:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  He's got nothing. The gospels are evidence of nothing.
The said 500 people also rose that day with him.
Rocks were split, graves were opened, and an earthquake.
No evidence for any of it.
All fairy tales.

Cotw, unlike Bucky I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that Jesus Chris did somehow rise from the dead and God does exist.

I prefer to hear your logic more than your belief however.
Can you tell me why should it matter to me if Jesus Christ rose from the dead?

Before anyone can rise from the dead, they have to exist in the first place. No?

Perhaps you should watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUYRoYl7i6U.

You should also ask yourself the question: If there was any proof of god/jesus, then, how come we haven't seen any irrefutable proof in over 2,000 years.

I can go on and on with questions.

This god/jebus thing just doesn't hold water.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
20-03-2016, 01:29 PM
(20-03-2016 12:58 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(20-03-2016 12:55 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  The gospels are evidence of, let me see, oh yes, that someone, although we don't know who, wrote something, although we are not exactly sure of when, about someone that might, or might not, have actually existed because they thought that they might have existed.

Does that about sum up the gospels?
Evidence of a story?

Yup but a piss poor one.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
20-03-2016, 01:31 PM
(20-03-2016 01:29 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(20-03-2016 12:58 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Evidence of a story?

Yup but a piss poor one.
I like stories.
20-03-2016, 01:35 PM
(19-03-2016 03:43 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 10:10 AM)carol Wrote:  I feel several things , one is an enormous amount of empathy and pity. If people in that church were well educated about how the bible was written:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-YL-lv3RY

then they would not subject themselves to the awful things that they were taught to believe about it.

This is a prime example of the Genetic Fallacy. Even if it was true, that the "people in the church aren't educated about how the Bible was written, and that they were subject to the awful things that they were taught to believe about it".

Even if all of that was true (which it absolutely ISN'T), but even if all of that WAS true, that would STILL have no bearing on whether or not the belief itself is true or false. Christianity could still be true regardless of how the Bible was put together or how many people were forced or brainwashed into believing in it.

How they came to believe is irrelevant to the truth value of what they believed.

What a horribly obnoxious person you are, to ask a question, get an opinion and then attack the writer. If you ask an opinion, it does not mean that you are in the middle of a debate.
[+] 7 users Like carol's post
20-03-2016, 01:36 PM
(20-03-2016 01:31 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(20-03-2016 01:29 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Yup but a piss poor one.
I like stories.

As long as you realise that the gospels are stories as opposed to 'facts' - which christards don't realise.

20-03-2016, 01:40 PM
(20-03-2016 01:36 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(20-03-2016 01:31 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I like stories.

As long as you realise that the gospels are stories as opposed to 'facts' - which christards don't realise.
Everything sounds like a story to me. Some might be true and some not so much.
Christian stories are entertaining.
20-03-2016, 01:42 PM
(19-03-2016 03:43 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 10:10 AM)carol Wrote:  I feel several things , one is an enormous amount of empathy and pity. If people in that church were well educated about how the bible was written:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-YL-lv3RY

then they would not subject themselves to the awful things that they were taught to believe about it.

This is a prime example of the Genetic Fallacy. Even if it was true, that the "people in the church aren't educated about how the Bible was written, and that they were subject to the awful things that they were taught to believe about it".

Even if all of that was true (which it absolutely ISN'T), but even if all of that WAS true, that would STILL have no bearing on whether or not the belief itself is true or false. Christianity could still be true regardless of how the Bible was put together or how many people were forced or brainwashed into believing in it.

How they came to believe is irrelevant to the truth value of what they believed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...tific.html

20-03-2016, 01:50 PM
(20-03-2016 01:42 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 03:43 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  This is a prime example of the Genetic Fallacy. Even if it was true, that the "people in the church aren't educated about how the Bible was written, and that they were subject to the awful things that they were taught to believe about it".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...tific.html
Is it possible there is a disconnect between what the church preaches and the bible teaches?
20-03-2016, 01:50 PM
(20-03-2016 10:08 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Simple task; Go in a lab and create a fully functional human eyeball from scratch. Can you do that? No, you can't. You are an intelligent human being, with vision, correct? So why can't you go in a lab and create a fully functional eyeball?
I'll ignore for the moment the disingenuity of this request. The late Japanese stem cell biologist Dr Yoshiki Sasai's team recently not only grew partial pituitary glands and also bits of brain tissue, but they also coaxed embryonic stem cells into forming the functioning tissue of arguably the most complex organ in the entire animal kingdom. They'd grown an embryonic optic cup (part of the retina) in a tissue culture.

And unfortunately for your god, the poor structure of the human eye (as well as those of all vertebrates) is testament to bad "design"—rather than proof of any intelligent designer. The retina is effectively "inside out" because the nerves and blood vessels lie on the surface of the retina instead of behind it—as is the case for many invertebrates. This arrangement forces a number of complex adaptations and gives mammals, including humans, a blind spot. How could your putative god-designer make such a major blunder?

Also, the the RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology in Japan has announced a scientific first: the successful implantation of new retinal tissue, grown for the first time from stem cells, into the eyes of a 70-year-old Japanese woman suffering from advancing blindness. Why hasn't your god already enabled replacement tissue regrowth years ago?

Quote:Yeah, who put the one tube that we DO have for breathing, eating, and drinking? Who put that tube in our bodies? Who put the digestive system in our body? A mindless and blind process?
Well it certainly wasn't your designer-god LOL. Logic says he would've used three separate tubes for each function, or at the very least a dedicated tube for the critical breathing function.

And what about the other "design" faults? Ectopic pregnancy—the existence of a cavity between the ovary and the fallopian tube indicates a flawed design in the female reproductive system; testes developing within the abdomen—causing two weak points in the abdominal wall where hernias can later form; the human appendix is a vestigial organ—with no known purpose; the unused plantaris muscle of the foot; all animals and plants synthesize their own vitamin C, but humans alone cannot—because the gene for this enzyme is defective; the male urethra passes unnecessarily through the prostate gland; genetic disorders—such as Huntington's Disease etc. Need I continue?

Quote:Then you should have no problem going in a lab and creating those eyeballs, should you?
Seriously, is this your sole argument that purportedly proves the existence of some designer-god? Why is it that this eyeball "thing" is so prevalent in Christian minds? It's a struggle ain't it mate?

Quote:Saying "God did it" is no LESS of an answer than you telling me that "Nature did it".
All this does is further reinforce a belief that you have very little true understanding of the scientific process. Do you truly think claiming that an imaginary, supernatural entity "designed" the planet and its creatures is more logical, more feasible, than saying that spontaneous electro-biochemical reactions from a warm, UV-irradiated, billion-year-old cosmic "soup" are far more likely, especially considering our 21st century understanding of the natural world? And why in preference to modern science do you choose to accept—unquestioningly—the 2,000 year-old writings of disparate, ill-educated desert nomads who thought the earth was flat and donkeys could talk?

Quote:At least my explanation of who did it has intelligence.
Nope. This is a classic non sequitur. You've yet to prove the designer exists before crediting him with any designs.

Quote:Not only did your explanation (this mindless and blind process) CREATE those parts, but it placed those parts inside of your body with PRECISION, every part is conveniently where it needs to "be" in order for the body to function properly. All of the parts just HAPPEN to be the right size and shape to fit inside, too.
Nope again. Sorry. See above. The main reason many older blokes suffer urinary incontinence is simply because the collapsible urethra runs through the middle of the prostate instead of beside it—where it should be. And in humans, the recurrent laryngeal nerve doesn't extend directly from brain to larynx, but upon reaching the neck bypasses the larynx and drops into the chest cavity, where it loops around a lung ligament and only then retraces up to the larynx in the neck. So much for your idea of "precision" LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post