Question for atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
19-03-2016, 01:18 PM
RE: Question for atheists...
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Greetings all,

My question is for the atheists out there. This is a serious question and I'd like serious answers. Let's try to keep the bullshit to a minimum, shall we?

Now, as we all know, when you ask atheists about their lack of belief in God, they will say things like "I don't believe in God, just like I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy" (insert as many make-believe characters you'd like).

That being said, I am a Christian Theist, so I can only look through the lens of Christianity (Judeo-Christianity)..so..

My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?? Because to me, if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

Is that how you atheists view Christians? Do you really believe that our belief in God is similar to belief in Santa Claus..or is that just something you say to be facetious??

Is it to the extent where you pass by a Church on Sunday, and you see all of the Church attendees in the parking lot greeting each other...and you say to yourself "What a bunch of idiots..."

Is that what you think? I am just curious, as I am trying to figure out how far to the left some of you are on the "belief" line Laugh out load
honestly, no, I don't view them as idiots. I see them as victims of horrible, mind destroying poison. I feel compassion for them. I used to be one of them. At some point they stop being innocent victims though. That point comes the first time they refuse to recognize a fact in order to protect their belief. Then they are guilty of what I consider the ultimate sin.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
19-03-2016, 01:23 PM

My question is for the atheists out there. This is a serious question and I'd like serious answers. Let's try to keep the bullshit to a minimum, shall we?

Now, as we all know, when you ask atheists about their lack of belief in God, they will say things like "I don't believe in God, just like I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy" (insert as many make-believe characters you'd like).

That being said, I am a Christian Theist, so I can only look through the lens of Christianity (Judeo-Christianity)..so..

My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?? Because to me, if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

Is that how you atheists view Christians? Do you really believe that our belief in God is similar to belief in Santa Claus..or is that just something you say to be facetious??

Is it to the extent where you pass by a Church on Sunday, and you see all of the Church attendees in the parking lot greeting each other...and you say to yourself "What a bunch of idiots..."

Is that what you think? I am just curious, as I am trying to figure out how far to the left some of you are on the "belief" line Laugh out load

Cognitively, there is no difference between belief in Santa clause or the tooth fairy and gods. Culturally there is. If you believe in God you are a good, upstanding person, the tooth fairy, then you're delusional. Belief in God is a culturally acceptable delusion.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
19-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Ever notice that when a person changes religion they never worry about going to Hell of the previous religion?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
19-03-2016, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2016 06:06 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  My question is for the atheists out there. This is a serious question and I'd like serious answers. Let's try to keep the bullshit to a minimum, shall we?

This request from the king of BS ? How hilarious. A new leaf your you, COTW ?

(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Now, as we all know, when you ask atheists about their lack of belief in God, they will say things like "I don't believe in God, just like I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy" (insert as many make-believe characters you'd like).

We don't "all know that".
I've never heard any atheist say that.
In fact it's a *not-so-subtle* insult. (We already know you can only deal in simple-minded notions.) Equating the serious questions *dismissing* (after MUCH serious study, and searching) the claims of ALL religious nonsense to Santa and the Easter Bunny) is a very serious insult and assumption, and proves you have not the slightest idea what non-believers are, and have never actually listened to one.

(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  That being said, I am a Christian Theist, so I can only look through the lens of Christianity (Judeo-Christianity)..so..

You are not wise. We know that. There is a quote about the wise man who can put aside his own prejudices, and actually consider a position of another, without adopting it. You are incapable of that. You have no empathy. No compassion. No charity. You are a walking add for why one would NOT want to join your cult.

(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy??

YOU are trying to equate the two. No one says that. maybe do your research before you put your foot in your mouth.

(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Is that how you atheists view Christians? Do you really believe that our belief in God is similar to belief in Santa Claus..or is that just something you say to be facetious??

Of course not. But if YOU grew up in Saudi Arabia, YOU would be a Muslim. You have never studied the concepts you toss around.

(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  "What a bunch of idiots..."

You're projecting your OWN insults. We are far more charitable than that. Thanks for confirming that's how you think.

(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Is that what you think? I am just curious, as I am trying to figure out how far to the left some of you are on the "belief" line Laugh out load

You're little "LOL" is the tip-off. You are just another judgmental religionist, come to make yourself feel all self-righteous, and proclaim your superiority.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-03-2016, 01:48 PM

cutting through the acerbic nature of your post the answer is kind of. Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are both well fleshed out mythologies. Take Santa. We know what he is, a human male who has a white beard, wears furs, and lives at the north pole. If we see a picture of Santa we can all say, "yup, that's Santa." We know what he does, what powers he has, and what his schedule is.

And as a former christian, this is the strength of the faith, that it is NOT fully fleshed out. It relies on a vague sort of spiritualism, that relies on emotion and intuitions. There can be very intelligent people who are religious, and there can be very dumb people who are religious. There is nothing inherently WRONG with these people, except a sort of wishful thinking.

Is it similar? Some of it, yes. There are religious claims which are just as ridiculous as the Santa myth, and they are usually the ones that are fully fleshed out. I tend to view Geocentrists or flat earthers in the same way I view adults who believe in Santa. But then there's theists like my mother, who holds to some sort of vague spirituality and divine purpose. I think she's wrong, and guilty of wishful thinking, but I don't think she's off her rocker.

What I think of the vast majority of Christians falls into the category of "meh." Most don't believe in those fully fleshed out absurdities. Most want to believe in a sense of cosmic justice, of purpose. Most are scared of their own mortality and the idea of a large an indifferent universe. And that's healthy and normal. Faith is just a coping mechanism for that, and fine whatever. If it makes them feel better and they don't make an issue of it then who cares. It is philosophically unsound, but whatever.
[+] 4 users Like natachan's post
19-03-2016, 02:15 PM

Yes. There's as much proof of Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy existing as there is for god. That makes two of us. I don't understand how a rational human being could believe in something as ludicrous as god.

(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Is that how you atheists view Christians? Do you really believe that our belief in God is similar to belief in Santa Claus..or is that just something you say to be facetious??

Yes.

(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Is it to the extent where you pass by a Church on Sunday, and you see all of the Church attendees in the parking lot greeting each other...and you say to yourself "What a bunch of idiots..."

No, not at all. I think that you are a bunch of fucking idiots.

(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Is that what you think? I am just curious, as I am trying to figure out how far to the left some of you are on the "belief" line Laugh out load

I can't speak for all atheists - just myself.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 3 users Like god has no twitter account's post
19-03-2016, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2016 05:38 PM by unfogged.)
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  That being said, I am a Christian Theist, so I can only look through the lens of Christianity (Judeo-Christianity)..so..

Which is a core part of the problem. You are unable to consider things from a different viewpoint and that severely limits your ability to understand anything that doesn't fit your preconceptions.

Quote:My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy??

Most people grow out of Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy when they start learning how to think critically. The problem is that many don't seem to apply those skills to their god beliefs. An adult believing in a god looks to me to be very much like a child believing in Santa.

Quote:Because to me, if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

I don't think that a rational human adult could still believe in a god; at least not without compartmentalizing rational thought separate from religious thought. Some people are very good at that.

Quote:Is that how you atheists view Christians? Do you really believe that our belief in God is similar to belief in Santa Claus..or is that just something you say to be facetious??

Effectively, yes.

Quote:Is it to the extent where you pass by a Church on Sunday, and you see all of the Church attendees in the parking lot greeting each other...and you say to yourself "What a bunch of idiots..."

Not idiots necessarily, just abandoning the one ability that makes us human - the ability to use rational thought. It is mainly just sad to see so many people mired in irrational claims.

[Edited to fix typos]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
19-03-2016, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2016 03:32 PM by evenheathen.)
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  ,I am a Christian Theist, so I can only look through the lens of Christianity (Judeo-Christianity)..so..

You nailed it right there. That's what we mean when we talk about rational thinking and getting beyond cognitive dissonance. The ability to remove yourself from your own biases is crucial to truly understanding how the world really works. If you can't do it, you'll never understand.

If you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail... Likewise if you are only able to view the world with your god glasses on, you'll never appreciate the world as it really is. The day I chose to honestly wipe my ideological slate clean and decide for myself what is true and what isn't is the day my eyes really opened and I was able to let those superstitions go.

You should try it. The life you save just might be your own.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
19-03-2016, 03:36 PM
(19-03-2016 10:03 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  For me, the whole "I don't believe in God like I don't believe in Santa Claus." is not about about the 'silliness factor', but about the evidence. No matter how silly something might seem, if it's real it's real. And conversely, no matter how logical something might seem, if it's not real it's not real.
I don't not believe in Santa because he seems silly, I don't believe in Santa because there's insufficient evidence for him. Same goes for Jehovah.

Well, in that case there is insufficient evidence for naturalism, too....yet that doesn't stop most of you from believing in naturalism. There isn't one shred of evidence for naturalism, yet some atheists are willing to throw all of their eggs in that basket. But when it comes to theism, suddenly it becomes "I can't believe in that because I see no evidence"....and that is NOT to say that there ISN'T evidence for theism, as I've spent the past 15-16 years of my life defending my faith...precisely because I believe that there IS evidence for Christian theism.
19-03-2016, 03:39 PM
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  I am a Christian Theist, so I can only look through the lens of Christianity (Judeo-Christianity)..so..

And I AM a Christian atheist, so I can only look through the lens of The Word. ..so..

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus