Question for atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
19-03-2016, 03:43 PM
RE: Question for atheists...
(19-03-2016 10:10 AM)carol Wrote:  I feel several things , one is an enormous amount of empathy and pity. If people in that church were well educated about how the bible was written:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-YL-lv3RY

then they would not subject themselves to the awful things that they were taught to believe about it.

This is a prime example of the Genetic Fallacy. Even if it was true, that the "people in the church aren't educated about how the Bible was written, and that they were subject to the awful things that they were taught to believe about it".

Even if all of that was true (which it absolutely ISN'T), but even if all of that WAS true, that would STILL have no bearing on whether or not the belief itself is true or false. Christianity could still be true regardless of how the Bible was put together or how many people were forced or brainwashed into believing in it.

How they came to believe is irrelevant to the truth value of what they believed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2016, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2016 03:55 PM by Peebothuhul.)
At work.

(19-03-2016 03:36 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Well, in that case there is insufficient evidence for naturalism, too....yet that doesn't stop most of you from believing in naturalism. There isn't one shred of evidence for naturalism, yet some atheists are willing to throw all of their eggs in that basket. But when it comes to theism, suddenly it becomes "I can't believe in that because I see no evidence"....and that is NOT to say that there ISN'T evidence for theism, as I've spent the past 15-16 years of my life defending my faith...precisely because I believe that there IS evidence for Christian theism.

And, with Call_of_the_Wild's first response. ..... they come back swinging wildly.

No actual comments on the previous two or three pages of replies to their opening post/comment, nope. Just quick "I don't believe it.. therefore it's dumb. "

So... Master Call_of_the_Wild. You have a hard time with 'Naturalism'?

Was your birth a miracle... or was it natural?

Do the stars and planets persist in their orbits through magic? Or is there credence in Astronomy and Celestial mechanics?

How about medicine? Or engineering? Or physics?

Please, what is real in your world and what is magic?

Edit: And the following responses continue to follow said pattern of, "Your words are dumb. I believe stuff."
[+] 4 users Like Peebothuhul's post
19-03-2016, 03:57 PM
(19-03-2016 10:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Except, I do understand it... memetically and genetically.

What in the hell does belief in Santa Claus have to do with genetics?

(19-03-2016 10:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Many of the christians I meet are filipinas and yes, they actually have been taught to believe that a rainbow is a sign from their god!

On Judeo-Christian theism, God did in fact make a rainbow visible as a sign that he will never destroy the earth in such a manner again (Gen 9:13).

(19-03-2016 10:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Childhood indoctrination is a powerful tool.

So is adult indoctrination, i.e. Jonestown massacre.

(19-03-2016 10:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Critical-thinking and sympathy are on the left?

That's news to me.

Huh

The belief line represents positive (right side) belief and negative (left size) unbelief. Agnosticism would represent middle ground.
19-03-2016, 03:58 PM
(19-03-2016 03:36 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Well, in that case there is insufficient evidence for naturalism, too....yet that doesn't stop most of you from believing in naturalism. There isn't one shred of evidence for naturalism, yet some atheists are willing to throw all of their eggs in that basket.

There isn't one indisputable shred of evidence for Girly, yet I AM willing to throw my eggs in my basket.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
19-03-2016, 04:01 PM
(19-03-2016 11:41 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Is just rude and trollish. There is no belief line. Like your gods, it is imaginary.

Please provide proof or to a lesser extent EVIDENCE that "gods are imaginary". Because I can play that game, too. I can say "to say that God doesn't exist is to use one's imagination".

Then what?
19-03-2016, 04:04 PM
(19-03-2016 01:18 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  honestly, no, I don't view them as idiots. I see them as victims of horrible, mind destroying poison.

Wuz up scots...can you explain why you view Christian theists as victims of horrible, mind destroying poison?
19-03-2016, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2016 04:21 PM by DLJ.)
(19-03-2016 03:57 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 10:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Except, I do understand it... memetically and genetically.

What in the hell does belief in Santa Claus have to do with genetics?

(19-03-2016 10:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Many of the christians I meet are filipinas and yes, they actually have been taught to believe that a rainbow is a sign from their god!

On Judeo-Christian theism, God did in fact make a rainbow visible as a sign that he will never destroy the earth in such a manner again (Gen 9:13).

(19-03-2016 10:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Childhood indoctrination is a powerful tool.

So is adult indoctrination, i.e. Jonestown massacre.

(19-03-2016 10:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Critical-thinking and sympathy are on the left?

That's news to me.

Huh

The belief line represents positive (right side) belief and negative (left size) unbelief. Agnosticism would represent middle ground.

[Image: stop-im-gonna-pee.jpg]

Laugh out load You crack me up.

Great entertainment value. Thank you.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-03-2016, 04:16 PM
(19-03-2016 01:48 PM)natachan Wrote:  And as a former christian, this is the strength of the faith, that it is NOT fully fleshed out. It relies on a vague sort of spiritualism, that relies on emotion and intuitions.

Fundamentally, every Christian believes that Jesus is the way to salvation and that he lived, died, was buried, and was raised on the third day. What is vague about that? Seems pretty straight-forwarded and we are reminded of those facts every Sunday and it is certainly pounded into our heads every Easter Sunday.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some vague spiritualists that are out there. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about in regards to the vague one's. I am just saying Christianity shouldn't be considered one of them, in my opinion, of course.

(19-03-2016 01:48 PM)natachan Wrote:  There can be very intelligent people who are religious, and there can be very dumb people who are religious.

Are they intelligent or DUMB for religious reasons, or would they be intelligent or dumb DESPITE religion?

(19-03-2016 01:48 PM)natachan Wrote:  There is nothing inherently WRONG with these people, except a sort of wishful thinking.

When you say that believers are wishful thinking, you are presupposing that what they believe is false, and that by continuing to believe something that is false, they are wishful thinking....that is begging the question, isn't it?

(19-03-2016 01:48 PM)natachan Wrote:  What I think of the vast majority of Christians falls into the category of "meh." Most don't believe in those fully fleshed out absurdities. Most want to believe in a sense of cosmic justice, of purpose. Most are scared of their own mortality and the idea of a large an indifferent universe. And that's healthy and normal. Faith is just a coping mechanism for that, and fine whatever. If it makes them feel better and they don't make an issue of it then who cares. It is philosophically unsound, but whatever.

How is Christianity philosophically unsound?
19-03-2016, 04:17 PM
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Greetings all,

My question is for the atheists out there. This is a serious question and I'd like serious answers. Let's try to keep the bullshit to a minimum, shall we?

Now, as we all know, when you ask atheists about their lack of belief in God, they will say things like "I don't believe in God, just like I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy" (insert as many make-believe characters you'd like).

That being said, I am a Christian Theist, so I can only look through the lens of Christianity (Judeo-Christianity)..so..

My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?? Because to me, if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

Is that how you atheists view Christians? Do you really believe that our belief in God is similar to belief in Santa Claus..or is that just something you say to be facetious??

Is it to the extent where you pass by a Church on Sunday, and you see all of the Church attendees in the parking lot greeting each other...and you say to yourself "What a bunch of idiots..."

Is that what you think? I am just curious, as I am trying to figure out how far to the left some of you are on the "belief" line Laugh out load

Yes.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
19-03-2016, 04:20 PM
(19-03-2016 02:15 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Yes. There's as much proof of Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy existing as there is for god. That makes two of us. I don't understand how a rational human being could believe in something as ludicrous as god.

Belief in theism is ludicrous, but belief that a mindless and blind process (nature) created life, language, consciousness, etc...belief that a mindless and blind process created those things...that is rational belief? Laugh out load

You really shouldn't throw stones, sir.