Question for atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
22-03-2016, 04:14 PM
RE: Question for atheists...
Guys/Girls he already admitted that abiogenesis is false. It could be and most likely is a hoax, but let's take it at face value & move on.

He is now asking how Evolution is true.
Can you all stop attacking his character and just answer the question for knowledge sake if nothing else?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2016, 04:17 PM

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
22-03-2016, 04:29 PM
(22-03-2016 04:14 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Guys/Girls he already admitted that abiogenesis is false. It could be and most likely is a hoax, but let's take it at face value & move on.

Can you all stop attacking his character and just answer the question for knowledge sake if nothing else?

Have you read through every single one of his/her/its posts?

His/her/its character is based on their behavior since arriving on this forum.

He/she/it should read a book on the theory of evolution by natural selection before demanding others provide him/she/it answers. Then he/she/it could ask, at the very least, intelligent questions about the subject.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-03-2016, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2016 05:21 PM by Unbeliever.)
(22-03-2016 03:57 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 03:48 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Yes.

Because evolution does not require abiogenesis.

It does if the "God Hypothesis" is taken out of the equation, doesn't it?

Let us say, for the sake of argument, that it does. But the "god hypothesis" is irrelevant to the theory of evolution, as the theory of evolution has nothing to say about whether or not a god exists. It is only concerned with the way life functions once it already exists. Nothing else is relevant in any way.

Hypothetically speaking, a god may have created life and then left it be, which resulted in evolution taking over. Also hypothetically speaking, abiogenesis may be perfectly true, but life may not evolve as the theory of evolution predicts. Both of these possibilities, while not true, are valid - that is, they contain no contradictory premises - because neither evolution nor abiogenesis gives a damn about the other.

Your question remains utterly nonsensical.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
22-03-2016, 04:32 PM
(22-03-2016 04:14 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Guys/Girls he already admitted that abiogenesis is false. It could be and most likely is a hoax, but let's take it at face value & move on.

The question has been answered, repeatedly and extensively.

But, to be perfectly honest, I'm not at all surprised to learn that you failed to understand as hard as he did.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
22-03-2016, 04:44 PM
(22-03-2016 04:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Have you read through every single one of his/her/its posts?

He/she/it should read a book on the theory of evolution by natural selection before demanding others provide him/she/it answers. Then he/she/it could ask, at the very least, intelligent questions about the subject.
Yes, but have you considered some of us here are really interested in knowing how evolution is true & really don't care how much of an idiot people think Cotw is.
It is a very good opportunity for learning about evolution if nothing else.
Can't you put aside your differences for the sake of knowledge.

I have been watching his replies and it doesn't seem he is going to stop and agree with anyone here no matter how many insults we throw at him.
All it seems to be doing is making him into a permanent TTA troll & probably frustrating others more than they are frustrating him.

I'm not very liked here myself, but I'm still an Agnostic Atheist and thus a part of the community of Atheists whether people like it or not.
I'm appealing with him to communicate peacefully and logically with me in the boxing ring in the hopes his points may somehow be communicated a bit more coherently than this character assassination thread would allow.

Maybe something good may come out of it for both of us in the end.
22-03-2016, 04:46 PM
(22-03-2016 04:44 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Yes, but have you considered some of us here are really interested in knowing how evolution is true

And the answer to that question has been given.

Ignoring it does not make it go away.

22-03-2016, 05:02 PM
(22-03-2016 04:44 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 04:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Have you read through every single one of his/her/its posts?

Yes, but have you considered some of us here are really interested in knowing how evolution is true & really don't care how much of an idiot people think Cotw is.

I have been watching his replies and it doesn't seem he is going to stop and agree with anyone here no matter how many insults we throw at him.
All it seems to be doing is making him into a permanent TTA troll & probably frustrating others more than they are frustrating him.

I'm not very liked here myself, but I'm still an Agnostic Atheist and thus a part of the community of Atheists whether people like it or not.
I'm appealing with him to communicate peacefully and logically with me in the boxing ring in the hopes his points may somehow be communicated a bit more coherently than this character assassination thread would allow.

Maybe something good may come out of it for both of us in the end.

Then create a thread about how evolution is true.. or ask or look up the dozens and dozens of threads literally on that exact topic on this board that aren't all even so old to hte point of it being viewed as a necropost.

You can also have gathered equally from posts/replies in this thread and thread going back an entire year of posts that even nice/open and engaging responses isn't going to lead him to change his mind either.

There is actually great threads on evolution here that aren't off basis and formed directly by posters wanting to know and lurkers/newcomers/long time members have peaked interest in learning about it. It's also not the sole one to one motivation of a thread about presumptuous views. And i even liked the admiration of his thread creation here but he didn't stick to the idea very well on through, he sells himself too short actually in his claims that he cannot see past his worldview because that's what it is. Oddly for one who thinks human minds are formed by a intelligent being he seems to sell them short of what they can actually accomplish in functions such as using empathy to grasp contrasting views. One shouldn't write that off as something one cannot do even with difficulties.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-03-2016, 05:06 PM
(22-03-2016 04:44 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Yes, but have you considered some of us here are really interested in knowing how evolution is true & really don't care how much of an idiot people think Cotw is.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-03-2016, 05:06 PM

No, he has claimed that abiogenesis is false. But unless he believes that life (real physical biological life) has existed for all eternity -- and I know he doesn't believe that -- he is forced to admit that abiogenesis is true. Once there was no life. Now there is life. Life "came from" non-life. That is the very definition of abiogenesis. It happened. We can argue about whether or not God had anything to do with it, but only a lunatic would claim that it didn't happen.