Question for atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
23-03-2016, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 04:23 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
RE: Question for atheists...
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Greetings all,

My question is for the atheists out there. This is a serious question and I'd like serious answers. Let's try to keep the bullshit to a minimum, shall we?

Now, as we all know, when you ask atheists about their lack of belief in God, they will say things like "I don't believe in God, just like I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy" (insert as many make-believe characters you'd like).

That being said, I am a Christian Theist, so I can only look through the lens of Christianity (Judeo-Christianity)..so..

My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?? Because to me, if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

Is that how you atheists view Christians? Do you really believe that our belief in God is similar to belief in Santa Claus..or is that just something you say to be facetious??

Is it to the extent where you pass by a Church on Sunday, and you see all of the Church attendees in the parking lot greeting each other...and you say to yourself "What a bunch of idiots..."

Is that what you think? I am just curious, as I am trying to figure out how far to the left some of you are on the "belief" line Laugh out load

popping into existence....now that would be the story behind theism. Unfortunately, close examination of the world around us suggests otherwise. Lets compare "magic stories"...

What are the odds that "life just happened?"..Well apparently at the minimum at least 1 in 400 +billion....as that is how many planetary objects the hubble telescope can see.....those are pretty good odds, after 400+ billion different mixtures of gases, temperatures, and conditions, one would surmise it isn't a big reach to concede that it would be right for life at least once...what IS a big reach is the made up story of a super genie universe creator who made all of this with a wiggle of his 5th appendage. Sadly there exists not one shred of proof for this super genie, and a pragmatic analysis of the universe as we can see it thus far does not suggest intelligent design...what it does suggest is math.....chance and circumstance....eventually the numbers line up....life.

You see if life *baaam* popped into existence due to the efforts of a "god" then there would be physical evidence of such, like in the fossil record......if we *baaam* popped into existence as the humans we are....we wouldnt have the recessive turned off genes in our DNA that reflect all of the traits that have been shut off through time, we wouldn't have vestigial organs and bone formations that are a huge flag to our evolution from different forms through time. Why aren't we still evolving? We are, it is a slow process....and the engine to change is necessity. Once we figured out agriculture, and were able to craft conditions to keep us safe....weapons, villages, food....our bodies no longer needed to evolve rapidly to survive. But anyway, I am getting off track.

There are a plethora of creation stories....all equally ridiculous...and then one has to ponder....how do we know these stories? Who was there perched on "god's" shoulder writing down the story?...I know.....man, because man created god, all gods, in their own image, and if you apply a little intelligence, understanding of psychology, and logic you can figure out all of the context clues are right there in front of you...

Our planet is 4.5 billion years old...modern humans have been here about 200,000 years, and fossils of our ancestral crawl go back a couple million...which is a grain of sand in comparison to 4.5 billion years. Change takes time, and all evidence points to that.

OR

We can buy into a man made up BS "wouldn't it be cool if.." philosophical musings of a creator....again, all of which are ridiculous, but lets just go with the most popular fairy tale...the anthropocentric theory of the christian god.

SO after creating at least 400+ billion planetary objects until god got at least one juuuuuust right, then he grabbed a handful of dirt and blew into it creating man!.....I know, I know...but seriously there are people who purport to believe that nonsense....however bat shit crazy it is...

Surely you are more intelligent than that. Not knowing the answers to the big questions of life and everything in the universe doesn't mean we have to make up bullshit theories like god, to fill in the gap where our knowledge gapes. It truly is ok to say...we dont know yet....and it is also ok to philosophize cool ideas about what if.....but when those cool ideas still have ZERO supporting evidence thousands of years later, then we must dismiss it as the hog wash it is and move onto something else.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
23-03-2016, 04:44 PM
(23-03-2016 03:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 02:52 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Out of interest, what did he say that you didn't disagree with?

Cotw has come up with some nice zingers to our members in the form of pithy retorts and I tend to appreciate humor.

I enjoy a meaningful discussion -- I've learned much from watching threads like these (long before it was my duty to observe them), for the nuggets of brilliance that encouraged my further reading on various subjects. Challenge my thoughts, even my world view. I'm not fearful of being swayed and at worst I might learn something unexpected from someone else.

I don't mind discourse, or even extremely mild proselytizing, so long as it's part of a meaningful discussion. I'll admit again, those threads are unfortunately rare but fascinating when they do come up. I find it also a bit sad that some of our more challenging theists are driven off because we are so battle worn from the likes of cotw (and the newer agnostic Shane -- Q et al) that they are seemingly beaten to a pulp with insults without much thought.

That said there are a few theists who do make this place their "home", but generally those aren't here to debate with us, but have a genuine desire to be friendly. They participate in areas outside of Atheism and Theism, and coexist happily with us. We can even disagree with them on their belief, and presumably they with us, without losing mutual respect.

There is much that you say that makes sense and is deserving of much thought.

I do not have an issue when adults discuss religious matters with other adults.

I do have an issue when adults attempt to indoctrinate children with religion and pass god and jesus off as fact. It sends out the wrong message to children since it teaches them that it is OK to believe in Bronze Age nonsense that is based upon nothing more than superstition and for which there is no proof whatsoever. It is illogical to believe in such.

I wouldn't care if christardology was taught as a piece of history but when it's taught alongside, or even in place of science, then that is a step too far. To replace the theory of evolution with creationism is utter and complete madness. Let's take cotw, for example. He can't even string together a coherent set of theories. I dread to think what would happen in a school if he were a teacher. The quality of the teaching would simply be appalling.

I think that it's only right and proper that the ideas of people like cotw are challenged in the strongest possible manner.

That said, I do tend to challenge a little too enthusiastically.

I will consider.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 3 users Like god has no twitter account's post
23-03-2016, 04:51 PM
What was the question again? Blink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
23-03-2016, 04:53 PM
(23-03-2016 04:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What was the question again? Blink

Please don't ask OP. He doesn't know either.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
23-03-2016, 04:56 PM
(23-03-2016 04:12 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 09:51 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Greetings all,

My question is for the atheists out there. This is a serious question and I'd like serious answers. Let's try to keep the bullshit to a minimum, shall we?

Now, as we all know, when you ask atheists about their lack of belief in God, they will say things like "I don't believe in God, just like I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy" (insert as many make-believe characters you'd like).

That being said, I am a Christian Theist, so I can only look through the lens of Christianity (Judeo-Christianity)..so..

My question is; Do you really believe that the Christian's belief in God is synonymous to believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy?? Because to me, if there was an adult that seriously and earnestly believed in Santa Claus/Tooth Fairy, I would probably think that something is wrong with him/her. I would think "I don't understand how rational human being (adult) could ever believe in such a thing".

Is that how you atheists view Christians? Do you really believe that our belief in God is similar to belief in Santa Claus..or is that just something you say to be facetious??

Is it to the extent where you pass by a Church on Sunday, and you see all of the Church attendees in the parking lot greeting each other...and you say to yourself "What a bunch of idiots..."

Is that what you think? I am just curious, as I am trying to figure out how far to the left some of you are on the "belief" line Laugh out load

popping into existence....now that would be the story behind theism. Unfortunately, close examination of the world around us suggests otherwise. Lets compare "magic stories"...

What are the odds that "life just happened?"..Well apparently at the minimum at least 1 in 400 +billion....as that is how many planetary objects the hubble telescope can see.....those are pretty good odds, after 400+ billion different mixtures of gases, temperatures, and conditions, one would surmise it isn't a big reach to concede that it would be right for life at least once...what IS a big reach is the made up story of a super genie universe creator who made all of this with a wiggle of his 5th appendage. Sadly there exists not one shred of proof for this super genie, and a pragmatic analysis of the universe as we can see it thus far does not suggest intelligent design...what it does suggest is math.....chance and circumstance....eventually the numbers line up....life.

You see if life *baaam* popped into existence due to the efforts of a "god" then there would be physical evidence of such, like in the fossil record......if we *baaam* popped into existence as the humans we are....we wouldnt have the recessive turned off genes in our DNA that reflect all of the traits that have been shut off through time, we wouldn't have vestigial organs and bone formations that are a huge flag to our evolution from different forms through time. Why aren't we still evolving? We are, it is a slow process....and the engine to change is necessity. Once we figured out agriculture, and were able to craft conditions to keep us safe....weapons, villages, food....our bodies no longer needed to evolve rapidly to survive. But anyway, I am getting off track.

There are a plethora of creation stories....all equally ridiculous...and then one has to ponder....how do we know these stories? Who was there perched on "god's" shoulder writing down the story?...I know.....man, because man created god, all gods, in their own image, and if you apply a little intelligence, understanding of psychology, and logic you can figure out all of the context clues are right there in front of you...

Our planet is 4.5 billion years old...modern humans have been here about 200,000 years, and fossils of our ancestral crawl go back a couple million...which is a grain of sand in comparison to 4.5 billion years. Change takes time, and all evidence points to that.

OR

We can buy into a man made up BS "wouldn't it be cool if.." philosophical musings of a creator....again, all of which are ridiculous, but lets just go with the most popular fairy tale...the anthropocentric theory of the christian god.

SO after creating at least 400+ billion planetary objects until god got at least one juuuuuust right, then he grabbed a handful of dirt and blew into it creating man!.....I know, I know...but seriously there are people who purport to believe that nonsense....however bat shit crazy it is...

Surely you are more intelligent than that. Not knowing the answers to the big questions of life and everything in the universe doesn't mean we have to make up bullshit theories like god, to fill in the gap where our knowledge gapes. It truly is ok to say...we dont know yet....and it is also ok to philosophize cool ideas about what if.....but when those cool ideas still have ZERO supporting evidence thousands of years later, then we must dismiss it as the hog wash it is and move onto something else.

This is why I read these threads and what I meant by "nuggets of brilliance"

Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-03-2016, 04:58 PM
(23-03-2016 04:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What was the question again? Blink

Who's the last person to post ? And that's me.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
23-03-2016, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 05:02 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(23-03-2016 04:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 04:12 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  popping into existence....now that would be the story behind theism. Unfortunately, close examination of the world around us suggests otherwise. Lets compare "magic stories"...

OR

This is why I read these threads and what I meant by "nuggets of brilliance"

Heart

Hug I have my moments Blush

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
23-03-2016, 05:01 PM
(23-03-2016 04:58 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 04:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  This is why I read these threads and what I meant by "nuggets of brilliance"

Heart

I have my moments Blush

Your posts are brilliant but man call of the wild doesn't care. He will barely read the first sentences.

[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
23-03-2016, 05:02 PM
This is a surfboard.

[Image: shortround-3d-surfboard-2015.png]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
23-03-2016, 05:04 PM
(23-03-2016 05:02 PM)Banjo Wrote:  This is a surfboard.

[Image: shortround-3d-surfboard-2015.png]

Cool !Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post