Question for atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
26-03-2016, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2016 11:20 AM by bosco1956.)
RE: Question for atheists...
I don't do all of Buddhist practices. I do not have to. So really I use some of the Buddhist tools. I have PTSD and the tool of meditation has helped me with my worst case sceanario thinking. Thinking Buddhism is like other religons in that you have to follow all of it? No. The word beleive in does not apply in Buddhism. No beleiving in anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like bosco1956's post
26-03-2016, 11:23 AM
(26-03-2016 11:13 AM)bosco1956 Wrote:  I don't do all of Buddhist practices. I do not have to. So really I use some of the Buddhist tools. I have PTSD and the tool of meditation has helped me with my worst case sceanario thinking.

Sorry to hear about your PTSD. I can see how Buddhist practices may help. I wish you well. I keep meaning to look into Buddhism but never seem to find the time.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
26-03-2016, 11:46 AM
(26-03-2016 07:58 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 10:44 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  Let me ask you: What is your opinion of atheists. Do you accept them? Or are you guilty of doing the same you accuse atheists of doing."think they are stupid, wrong, etc. The old one finger pointed at atiests with three fingers back at you. Self rituous is pointing out someones faults while not seeing you do the same thing.

Good question. Atheism doesn't really exist, in my opinion. Why? Because I don't believe that a rational human being can NOT believe in God. Now sure, there are rational human beings that don't ACCEPT God, but every rational human being believes in God. That is just my opinion.

The belief is easy, it is the acceptance that is difficult. Why? Because people don't like the idea of being accountable to someone. People don't like the idea of being told what to do, and what not to do. They don't like it on an earthly level, so how much more on a cosmic level?

Of course, I can elaborate much further on your question...but that is the gist of things.

When you asked if people see christians talking as if they're just talking about santa of the toothfairy, when you say things like this. That's exactly what it sounds like. It's all nice and funny to sit there and then joke like someone thinks they're being smart when they're literally just answering you via example with your question. But this idea comes off like that. It's like saying everyone, even tribal folks secluded in the amazon rainforest believe in santa, who they never heard of, but they just don't except it. Specifically topics and points like this sound EXACtLY like that.

Though do you think when people say everyone knows Allah is real and Muhammad was the true last prophet that those people don't really have a strong grounds for it? Or people who say they were reincarnated as a rainbow disc through a specific buddhist meditation? Because while one looks validated by reincarnation or prophecy to some, to many who don't believe any of these ideas it looks all the same.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
26-03-2016, 11:52 AM
(26-03-2016 11:13 AM)bosco1956 Wrote:  I don't do all of Buddhist practices. I do not have to. So really I use some of the Buddhist tools. I have PTSD and the tool of meditation has helped me with my worst case scenario thinking.

What kind of meditation do you use, Bosco (e.g. zazen, vipassana, mantras, contemplating a symbol, other)?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-03-2016, 11:53 AM
(26-03-2016 09:21 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(26-03-2016 09:17 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Which platform?

Yahoo IM

Deal. Have to download. Will do it tonight.
26-03-2016, 12:00 PM
(26-03-2016 11:00 AM)bosco1956 Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 06:15 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  If something you said inadvertently caused me to become a Buddhist would you be unhappy?
If I asked you why you became a Buddhist would you be willing to help me understand your reason?
If you lack a reason why you became a Buddhist would it be ok if I call you irational as in having a belief without a valid reason?

I would not defend Buddhism. It is not the same as a Christian one. Your allowed to be any religion and do Buddhism at the same time. No converting anyone. Not agreeing with buddhism does not make me angry. I am not like a Christian who demands others to beleive in what I do! You don't have to beleive in any of Buddhism. It does not ask you to. It is really a take what you like and leave the rest. So reject meditation if it does not work. There is no Dogma to follow.
I would have been a Buddhist then, but I don't even take what I like. I assume some statements are logical, even when I don't like it.
26-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Call of the wild and anyone else interested. I would be willing to bend the boxing ring rules on this occasion to allow a few members to have a discussion with CotW. Not debate, just talk...might be interesting.

This way only a few people can post, and we don't have to deal with all the music, memes...etc.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-03-2016, 12:04 PM
But mom that's all I got. THAT"S ALL I GOT! Weeping

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post
26-03-2016, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2016 12:22 PM by bosco1956.)
(26-03-2016 11:46 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(26-03-2016 07:58 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Good question. Atheism doesn't really exist, in my opinion. Why? Because I don't believe that a rational human being can NOT believe in God. Now sure, there are rational human beings that don't ACCEPT God, but every rational human being believes in God. That is just my opinion.

The belief is easy, it is the acceptance that is difficult. Why? Because people don't like the idea of being accountable to someone. People don't like the idea of being told what to do, and what not to do. They don't like it on an earthly level, so how much more on a cosmic level?

Of course, I can elaborate much further on your question...but that is the gist of things.

When you asked if people see christians talking as if they're just talking about santa of the toothfairy, when you say things like this. That's exactly what it sounds like. It's all nice and funny to sit there and then joke like someone thinks they're being smart when they're literally just answering you via example with your question. But this idea comes off like that. It's like saying everyone, even tribal folks secluded in the amazon rainforest believe in santa, who they never heard of, but they just don't except it. Specifically topics and points like this sound EXACtLY like that.

Though do you think when people say everyone knows Allah is real and Muhammad was the true last prophet that those people don't really have a strong grounds for it? Or people who say they were reincarnated as a rainbow disc through a specific buddhist meditation? Because while one looks validated by reincarnation or prophecy to some, to many who don't believe any of these ideas it looks all the same.

Assuming all Buddhists are alike is wrong. Tibetian Buddhists are the reincarnation believers. Black and white thinking. we are all this or all that. The four noble truths and the eightfold path. That is the core, the rest is added on. Like reincarnation. Buddhism has as many sects as Christianity. Zen Buddhism is the most plain and simple. Buddhist dont think you have to believe in reincarnation or believe in anything it says. Take what you like and leave the rest. It seems you only have a superficial understanding of Buddhism!
26-03-2016, 12:06 PM
(26-03-2016 12:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Call of the wild and anyone else interested. I would be willing to bend the boxing ring rules on this occasion to allow a few members to have a discussion with CotW. Not debate, just talk...might be interesting.

This way only a few people can post, and we don't have to deal with all the music, memes...etc.

That's a party I am more than happy to miss. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post