Question for atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
26-03-2016, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2016 12:17 PM by ClydeLee.)
RE: Question for atheists...
(26-03-2016 12:05 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  
(26-03-2016 11:46 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  When you asked if people see christians talking as if they're just talking about santa of the toothfairy, when you say things like this. That's exactly what it sounds like. It's all nice and funny to sit there and then joke like someone thinks they're being smart when they're literally just answering you via example with your question. But this idea comes off like that. It's like saying everyone, even tribal folks secluded in the amazon rainforest believe in santa, who they never heard of, but they just don't except it. Specifically topics and points like this sound EXACtLY like that.

Though do you think when people say everyone knows Allah is real and Muhammad was the true last prophet that those people don't really have a strong grounds for it? Or people who say they were reincarnated as a rainbow disc through a specific buddhist meditation? Because while one looks validated by reincarnation or prophecy to some, to many who don't believe any of these ideas it looks all the same.

Assuming all Buddhists are alike is wrong. Tibetian Buddhists are the reincarnation believers. Black and white thinking. we are all this or all that. Plus was trying to proclaim since some random famous atheist person said X about some other or lesser form of that meditation, it means it has legs.

I know. It is a flaw of people, though If you think i was doing such a thing, I was saying some people think of this "specific" buddhist meditation form. It's not saying it's a thing buddhists think, it's something some people think. We had a member here who was advocating it from his connection and was on this forum to make some point about since Sam Harris promoted some meditation form that's connected to his, he had some point of truth or something.

idk what happened I edited a segment of my post and it suddenly disappeared.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2016, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2016 12:31 PM by bosco1956.)
(26-03-2016 11:52 AM)Astreja Wrote:  
(26-03-2016 11:13 AM)bosco1956 Wrote:  I don't do all of Buddhist practices. I do not have to. So really I use some of the Buddhist tools. I have PTSD and the tool of meditation has helped me with my worst case scenario thinking.

What kind of meditation do you use, Bosco (e.g. zazen, vipassana, mantras, contemplating a symbol, other)?

Zazen is sitting meditation. I guess mine is more like zen meditation. Sitting in awareness with the goal of mental silence. I have found mental silence, no thoughts. So it is silent meditation, not mantras, no focus on any object. Just being aware of everything, cant be aware if one is thinking. I have thought management now. I manage my thoughts and dismiss my stories. Meditation is mind trianing. I used to have hours of worst case thinking. Now I have mostly silence. It's ok not to think!!
[+] 1 user Likes bosco1956's post
26-03-2016, 12:39 PM
(26-03-2016 12:11 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(26-03-2016 12:05 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  Assuming all Buddhists are alike is wrong. Tibetian Buddhists are the reincarnation believers. Black and white thinking. we are all this or all that. Plus was trying to proclaim since some random famous atheist person said X about some other or lesser form of that meditation, it means it has legs.

I know. It is a flaw of people, though If you think i was doing such a thing, I was saying some people think of this "specific" buddhist meditation form. It's not saying it's a thing buddhists think, it's something some people think. We had a member here who was advocating it from his connection and was on this forum to make some point about since Sam Harris promoted some meditation form that's connected to his, he had some point of truth or something.

What if you developed the abilty to stay mentally silent for hours. or choose to go into silence when you want. That can be done with practice.
26-03-2016, 12:41 PM
(26-03-2016 12:39 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  
(26-03-2016 12:11 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I know. It is a flaw of people, though If you think i was doing such a thing, I was saying some people think of this "specific" buddhist meditation form. It's not saying it's a thing buddhists think, it's something some people think. We had a member here who was advocating it from his connection and was on this forum to make some point about since Sam Harris promoted some meditation form that's connected to his, he had some point of truth or something.

What if you developed the abilty to stay mentally silent for hours. or choose to go into silence when you want. That can be done with practice.

Im sorry I assume attack more often than I should.
26-03-2016, 12:53 PM
(26-03-2016 10:45 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(26-03-2016 10:39 AM)bosco1956 Wrote:  Your doing your imaginary friends work. Good. My imaginary freind is Winnie the Pooh. I am doing his work. So we are doing the same job. Just different imaginary freinds.

At least Pooh isn't a murderous beast who demands compliance, and money.

I do the work of the holy trinity.
Tigger, Roo, and Eeyore.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-03-2016, 02:04 PM
(26-03-2016 10:30 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The thing with Cotw is that it doesn't have any idea what evidence actually is. It thinks evidence for god are writings in an ancient book or some authoritative proclamation by some religious schmoo.

There was some experiment years ago that took creationists into a room that had 20 or so skulls lined up on a table. The first skull was from earliest human like species and the last was modern man. Everything in between was transitional. They were asked to identify the specific skull that represented the change from ancient to modern and not one of the could identify which skull it was.

I wish I could find this scientific study. It was amazing. I'll keep looking.

It sounds like this...
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/compare.html

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
26-03-2016, 02:08 PM
(26-03-2016 12:27 PM)bosco1956 Wrote:  
(26-03-2016 11:52 AM)Astreja Wrote:  What kind of meditation do you use, Bosco (e.g. zazen, vipassana, mantras, contemplating a symbol, other)?

Zazen is sitting meditation. I guess mine is more like zen meditation. Sitting in awareness with the goal of mental silence. I have found mental silence, no thoughts. So it is silent meditation, not mantras, no focus on any object. Just being aware of everything, cant be aware if one is thinking. I have thought management now. I manage my thoughts and dismiss my stories. Meditation is mind trianing. I used to have hours of worst case thinking. Now I have mostly silence. It's ok not to think!!

Can you reference something for beginners here, thanks.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-03-2016, 03:07 PM
(26-03-2016 12:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Call of the wild and anyone else interested. I would be willing to bend the boxing ring rules on this occasion to allow a few members to have a discussion with CotW. Not debate, just talk...might be interesting.

What would happen at its inevitable fall into argument or insults or "nuh uh" posts?
26-03-2016, 03:12 PM
(26-03-2016 03:07 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(26-03-2016 12:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Call of the wild and anyone else interested. I would be willing to bend the boxing ring rules on this occasion to allow a few members to have a discussion with CotW. Not debate, just talk...might be interesting.

What would happen at its inevitable fall into argument or insults or "nuh uh" posts?

Exactly. I'm sorry. What we've seen, we've seen.
There's just "no *there* there.

26-03-2016, 04:40 PM
(26-03-2016 10:38 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  It's not a "loophole" you fucking idiot, nor am I interested in your juvenile story time. I asked you what the hell you were talking about because what you said is just factually wrong, and the difference between the two has been explained to you for months now.

And I am "explaining" to you that however you define anything, if it falls short of "accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior and believing that he died on the cross for your sins"....if it falls short of that, it really doesn't FUCKING matter, it is WRONG.

You can sit there and play these word games all you want of "Oh, agnostics don't believe in Christ, but they don't disbelieve in Christ either"...and all of that other kind of nonsense. It still isn't Christianity...either you are FOR Jesus, or against Jesus. No in-betweens.

So, when you take your scrawny ass to hell, you can say "well, at least I was right about the definition of "agnosticism" Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load