Question for the Brits here...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2017, 02:32 PM
RE: Question for the Brits here...
(30-08-2017 01:17 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  I read something interesting the other day on livescience.com about American vs. British accents. They said that accents in America are actually closer to the standard British accent back in 1776 than the British are today. One of the quotes from the piece says, "It is the standard British accent that has drastically changed in the past two centuries, while the typical American accent has changed only subtly." The crux of the story is that Hollywood has been portraying historical accents wrong for all of these years, and it goes into some detail about why they think this.

Accents are fascinating!

Not convinced, the variation is immense, Lancashire Liverpool Somerset London Newcastle Birmingham Yorkshire Devon Cornish Sussex. The American accent is absolutely nothing like the English accent because there is no one standard colloquial English accent as there is no one standard colloquial American accent. There is the plum in mouth Hugh Grant accent which is mine and which most Americans regard as the quintessential British accent and probably recognisable to all even in revolutionary times but the idea that the British accent was similar to the American accent from the time of the revolutionary war is at best highly unlikely at worse totally ridiculous I suspect the latter. I would like citations although when the main divergence occurred in the accents is likely to be always unknown or disputed partly due to continued European immigration over the history of the USA.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post