Question for theists: What would make you change your faith?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2013, 12:45 PM
RE: Question for theists: What would make you change your faith?
(25-01-2013 12:44 PM)Egor Wrote:  Thanks for the + rep, KC, and thanks for the words. Smile
You're very welcome.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Someone please explain to me why persecution is evidence for a Christian that they are 'right' yet acceptance of whatever message they bring is also evidence they are 'right'.

Sorry but this is why I love science. When science is wrong it doesn't use the fact that people point out it's wrong to prove that it's right.
[+] 4 users Like kpax's post
25-01-2013, 04:17 PM
(25-01-2013 02:52 AM)Egor Wrote:  I assure you, atheism cannot stand up against the theology of Veridicanism. Because we are centered on the teachings of Jesus Christ and no others, not even the other writers in the Bible--just the Gospel, and we kick atheist ass for sport (spiritually speaking, of course).

It's kind of hard to stand up against something that makes up it's own rules and interpretations as it goes along.
[+] 4 users Like kpax's post
25-01-2013, 04:21 PM
(25-01-2013 04:17 PM)kpax Wrote:  
(25-01-2013 02:52 AM)Egor Wrote:  I assure you, atheism cannot stand up against the theology of Veridicanism. Because we are centered on the teachings of Jesus Christ and no others, not even the other writers in the Bible--just the Gospel, and we kick atheist ass for sport (spiritually speaking, of course).

It's kind of hard to stand up against something that makes up it's own rules and interpretations as it goes along.

Be that as it may, unless a strong force is directed a one point constantly, whatever is driving those poorly aimed forces, isn't going to have much of an effect, by changing his own rules, he is just diverting energy to a different direction and point.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
25-01-2013, 04:26 PM
(25-01-2013 04:11 PM)kpax Wrote:  Someone please explain to me why persecution is evidence for a Christian that they are 'right' yet acceptance of whatever message they bring is also evidence they are 'right'.

Sorry but this is why I love science. When science is wrong it doesn't use the fact that people point out it's wrong to prove that it's right.

I've wondered the same thing. Thanks for articulating it so well.
25-01-2013, 04:33 PM
(25-01-2013 04:11 PM)kpax Wrote:  Someone please explain to me why persecution is evidence for a Christian that they are 'right' yet acceptance of whatever message they bring is also evidence they are 'right'.

I think it says somewhere in the bibal that christians will be persecuted against (I think specifically in reference to the end times, but half of them believe that anyway it seems).

And I think it also says that "Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess.."

Therefore:
A. If they are persecuted against, half of them will think their end times nonsense is being fulfilled, thus, they're right.

B. The mass of people who believe it must be a sure sign that they have something going right, and that knee bowing crap was on the money. Thus they think they are right.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
25-01-2013, 04:50 PM
(25-01-2013 04:33 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I think it says somewhere in the bibal that christians will be persecuted against (I think specifically in reference to the end times, but half of them believe that anyway it seems).

Therefore:
A. If they are persecuted against, half of them will think their end times nonsense is being fulfilled, thus, they're right.

B. The mass of people who believe it must be a sure sign that they have something going right, and that knee bowing crap was on the money. Thus they think they are right.
*Bible.

And the verses in question are Matthew chapter 5 verses 10-12:

Quote:10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
and "every knee shall bow is Romans, chapter 14:

Quote: For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
The essential meaning is that no matter what foul deeds the Atheists visit upon us, all will be held to account at their time and those of us who followed the path in life will inherit the kingdom while those who dedicate their lives to trying to stamp us out will eventually prostrate themselves before the Lord before being turned away.

Check out my YouTube channel for more videos and information Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5PX9Y...1uwXxWwQ6w
25-01-2013, 05:05 PM
(25-01-2013 04:50 PM)AtheismExposed Wrote:  
(25-01-2013 04:33 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I think it says somewhere in the bibal that christians will be persecuted against (I think specifically in reference to the end times, but half of them believe that anyway it seems).

Therefore:

*Bible.

And the verses in question are Matthew chapter 5 verses 10-12:

Quote:10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
and "every knee shall bow is Romans, chapter 14:

Quote: For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
The essential meaning is that no matter what foul deeds the Atheists visit upon us, all will be held to account at their time and those of us who followed the path in life will inherit the kingdom while those who dedicate their lives to trying to stamp us out will eventually prostrate themselves before the Lord before being turned away.

Nope, I meant Bibal.

To what foul deed are you referencing?

The Inquisition? Dark Ages? Oh, hold on a second there... Dodgy

Honestly, I don't want anything to do with a kingdom. as far as I am concerned, the sooner monarchies are abolished, the better, after all, they are based on the assumption that somebody is superior by dint of blood alone. A truly pathetic relic of a governing system, is it not?.

But then again, I cannot imagine a war god an tyrant such as Yahweh to have a democracy.

25-01-2013, 07:03 PM
As a (very) former theist, I would say, that it would have been impossible for me to have said there was anything that would have changed my faith. I did not think it was possible. I actually considered myself an open minded Christian. I didn't follow specific church (Lutheran) doctrine, but tried to figure out what the Bible told me, and what God wanted from me. I loved debate and discussion about religion and really believed I was open to any argument. Even when I was beginning to doubt my faith, and was feeling generally unmoved by it, I still wouldn't have believed there was anything that could get me to completely abandon my faith. It literally took an epiphany moment for me to begin my real path towards atheism. I was stuck in an airport during a blizzard, read an article from a discarded magazine about the bad evidence of the Exodus, and had a moment of clarity. I didn't stop believing in that moment, but I felt that it was ok to pursue any piece of evidence to find the truth... in that moment, i accepted the possibility that there MIGHT NOT be a god, and I accepted that I could go to Hell for thinking such things, or following that path. But that is what it took for me. I had to give myself permission to be truly open to any evidence no matter where it might take me. From then on, it was a relatively short path to total unbelief. The evidence was just too strong.

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." ~Rene Descartes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes PersephoneK's post
26-01-2013, 05:20 PM
This sucks. I hate it when I find out about the existance another religion. It mean I now have yet another "Holy Book" to read!