Question on raising children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2012, 03:41 PM
RE: Question on raising children
(03-10-2012 08:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Muffs, look at some of the other OP's posts where he brings up imagination and books, etc.

The Santa thing didn't scar me or my kids. As kids once we found out the truth, we were then part of keeping the magic alive for the younger ones and that was kind of cool. I don't think Santa is ever meant as some big deception with any kind of malice.

But, I was responding more to the OP's other points.

You can teach your kids that Santa isn't real but in doing so you need to accept that most parents will be teaching the opposite and so you gotta teach your kid to respect that and not spoil it for the other kids and so that keeping the magic for the other children thing isn't exclusively for those children that use to believe.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2012, 10:25 AM
RE: Question on raising children
(02-10-2012 10:46 PM)TJWolfhawk Wrote:  I don't want to lie to my children, to be sure. I'm just worried about killing my kids' imaginations.
Try to play pretend, but you can do more. Santa Klaus is based on a real person, the bishop Nicholas from Myra. There are some stories about him, for example how he paid some man's debts so that he didn't have to sell his three daughters to the white meat market (you might want to skip that part) and suddenly they had money on dowry, quite a gift it was. Since then there's this tradition of St. Nicholas bringing gifts.
There are also some supernatural stories, even back then in old ages. Things like IIRC flying St. Nicholas rescuing sailors on the sea.
Now compare that to Santa flying around the whole world bringing gifts to children in a single night.
But the actual gift-giving tradition on Christmas probably came from the gifts that baby Jesus supposedly received from the wise magi from the east, plus perhaps from shepherds brought by the light of the star of Betlehem. You can make a valuable lesson from it, how stories change over time and traditions arise, and how it's people's goodness that is really a source of gifts, not some supernatural entities.

If you do it right and explain things in an interesting way, you might even make your kid enjoy the whole lecture and go along with the legends for the fun of it Wink

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply