Questioning Christians about the purpose of the universe beyond Earth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 09:23 PM
RE: Questioning Christians about the purpose of the universe beyond Earth?
(10-03-2014 06:01 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 05:54 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Genesis 1:6 Then God said, "Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters." 7God made the expanse, and separated the waters which were below the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse; and it was so.…

http://biblehub.com/genesis/1-6.htm

Could that be referring to rain?

I don't think it means the sky (or universe) is water. Or am I wrong?

You're wrong. As usual.
The ancient Hebrews believed in the "firmament. A "vault" above the heavens.

[Image: cosmos.png?w=500]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-03-2014, 10:03 PM
(10-03-2014 05:37 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  I haven't read a bible in awhile, but my understanding of judgement day is that it happens here on Earth, and this suggests (according to the bible) that this is where it will all end.

So, according to Christians, what was the purpose of the universe beyond Earth? Why did God 'create' it? Just to taunt us?

I can see Christians perhaps justifying the sun (for light - although God could have just magically shone light on Earth himself), but how the rest of the observable universe? What's the purpose of all those stars and planets if we'll never get to them or use them in anyway?

Is this an effective question in which to challenge Christians?

Why don't you go troll an xtard forum to find out.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
10-03-2014, 10:28 PM
(10-03-2014 09:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 06:01 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  Could that be referring to rain?

I don't think it means the sky (or universe) is water. Or am I wrong?

You're wrong. As usual.

I wasn't familiar with the firmament. Thank you.
10-03-2014, 10:38 PM
(10-03-2014 10:28 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 09:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You're wrong. As usual.

I wasn't familiar with the firmament. Thank you.

Ummm...ConsiderI'm pretty sure I was the one who told you about the firmament...Bucky just showed you a pictureDodgy

10-03-2014, 10:43 PM
AiG: Contradictions, Underneath a Solid Sky
AiG: Is the Raqiya' ('Firmament') a Solid Dome?
AiG Feedback: The Collapse of the Canopy Model

As AiG represents a very large chunk of conservative Christianity's views on this, I figured I'd link some things they say on it.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
10-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Obviously the bible got it wrong.

Install your Scriptural Upgrade to Quran v1 (and only) and you will discover the Truth!

The stars are lanterns.

That is all.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-03-2014, 10:44 PM
(10-03-2014 10:38 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 10:28 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  I wasn't familiar with the firmament. Thank you.

Ummm...ConsiderI'm pretty sure I was the one who told you about the firmament...Bucky just showed you a pictureDodgy

Awww, are you mad that I didn't give you credit? I'm sorry, you deserve it. Wink
11-03-2014, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 11:12 AM by cjlr.)
(10-03-2014 06:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No it was always referenced as the firmament until it was proven there was no such thing.

But of course!

Nothing says "divinely inspired" like "constantly re-interpreted and removed from context in order to hide some of the more glaring inconsistencies between primitive mythology and an ever-growing scientific understanding of the universe".

A real "Holy" book worth the name would contain otherwise-unattainable insights into the nature of the universe. It is perfectly possible to express qualitative fundamentals of modern science in ancient languages; it wouldn't matter if the contemporary recipients were unaware of the significance, so long as it were readily recognizable in due time. Now that would be compelling testimony.

And yet for some odd reason the authors of any "inspired" text are precisely as ignorant as their contemporaries, despite having access to - by definition - the single greatest possible source of knowledge imaginable. I say precisely as ignorant because I'm being generous, but more so would be more apt, if one considers a certain posse of Levantine goatherds vis-à-vis their contemporaneous (e.g.) Greek, Egyptian, Indian, or Persian neighbours...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
11-03-2014, 07:15 AM
(10-03-2014 10:43 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Obviously the bible got it wrong.

Install your Scriptural Upgrade to Quran v1 (and only) and you will discover the Truth!

The stars are lanterns.

That is all.

Drinking Beverage

Shut your heretic mouth.

The stars are fireflies. Stuck to that great big bluish-black thing.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
11-03-2014, 07:25 AM
(11-03-2014 07:14 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 06:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No it was always referenced as the firmament until it was proven there was no such thing.

But of course!

Nothing says "divinely inspired" like "constantly re-interpreted and removed from context in order to hide some of the more glaring inconsistencies between primitive mythology and an ever-growing scientific understanding of the universe".

A real "Holy" book worth the name would contain otherwise-unattainable insights into the nature of the universe. It is perfectly possible to express qualitative fundamentals of modern science in ancient languages; it wouldn't matter if the contemporary recipients were unaware of the significance, so long as it were readily recognizable in due time. Now that would be compelling testimony.

And yet for some odd reason the authors of any "inspired" text are precisely as ignorant as their contemporaries, despite having access to - by definition - the single greatest possible source of knowledge imaginable. I say precisely as ignorant because I'm being generous, but more so would be more apt, if one considers a certain posse of Levantine goatherds vis-à-vis their contemporaneous in (e.g.) Greek, Egyptian, Indian, or Persian neighbours...

What an actual list of commandments from a higher power would look like (be it aliens or a deity)

1: Boil your water before drinking
2: Take regular baths and be hygienic
3: Alcohol makes a great disinfectant, Dip any tools you plan on sticking into a body in it before and after insertion.

and so on in that vein.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post