Questioning Christians about the purpose of the universe beyond Earth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2014, 07:31 AM
RE: Questioning Christians about the purpose of the universe beyond Earth?
(11-03-2014 07:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  What an actual list of commandments from a higher power would look like (be it aliens or a deity)

1: Boil your water before drinking
2: Take regular baths and be hygienic
3: Alcohol makes a great disinfectant, Dip any tools you plan on sticking into a body in it before and after insertion.

and so on in that vein.

Yep. "Wash hands and tools before surgery" and "always dump waste downstream of your water source" and the like would have saved untold amounts of human misery.

But, no, I'm sure the bits about how to burn unleavened bread properly were more important.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
11-03-2014, 10:10 AM
(11-03-2014 07:31 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 07:25 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  What an actual list of commandments from a higher power would look like (be it aliens or a deity)

1: Boil your water before drinking
2: Take regular baths and be hygienic
3: Alcohol makes a great disinfectant, Dip any tools you plan on sticking into a body in it before and after insertion.

and so on in that vein.

Yep. "Wash hands and tools before surgery" and "always dump waste downstream of your water source" and the like would have saved untold amounts of human misery.

But, no, I'm sure the bits about how to burn unleavened bread properly were more important.

Also... Comandment #6) Don't stick your penis on or inside of other people who do not want your penis on or inside of them. For this is rape, and an abomination.

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
11-03-2014, 10:30 AM
(11-03-2014 07:14 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I say precisely as ignorant because I'm being generous, but more so would be more apt, if one considers a certain posse of Levantine goatherds vis-à-vis their contemporaneous in (e.g.) Greek, Egyptian, Indian, or Persian neighbours...

....whose understanding of the universe allowed them to manufacture such amazing tech as the Antikythera mechanism a century before the mythical Jeebus was even supposed to have been born.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
11-03-2014, 10:49 AM
(11-03-2014 07:31 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Yep. "Wash hands and tools before surgery" and "always dump waste downstream of your water source" and the like would have saved untold amounts of human misery.

Yeah, it always cracked me up that the rules were quite obviously written for and by people with a very limited knowledge on how things work.

I've heard the argument before that evolution is real, but God had the Bible be simple so people could understand it. If that were true, you'd think that the creation story would have involved God morphing organisms over the six days, or something. That, and it doesn't address all the things you mentioned that would have been super useful for keeping God's people safe and informed.

About the only argument I can see for that (aside from "God's a dick") would be to assume that God didn't help prevent infection, so that way infection would always be on the table as one of God's many tools to smite someone when he needed to do some smiting. Even that sounds shaky, given that God can supposedly flood entire planets, nuke an entire city with fire and brimstone, and turn a single person into a pillar of salt. So, it's not like he was concerned about being overt, or anything.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
11-03-2014, 11:25 AM
(11-03-2014 10:49 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I've heard the argument before that evolution is real, but God had the Bible be simple so people could understand it. If that were true, you'd think that the creation story would have involved God morphing organisms over the six days, or something. That, and it doesn't address all the things you mentioned that would have been super useful for keeping God's people safe and informed.

Yeah. I've heard similar nonsense. And nonsense it assuredly is.

You know what's simple? Like, real simple?
The Earth goes around the Sun.

That's all it'd have to say. Write that into the old testament in 400 BC and you've got some stunningly compelling evidence for inspiration. Because to contemporary knowledge this was impossible to know or prove. It would be a - ludicrously simple - statement, which would when eventually confirmed be a tremendously powerful testament to the authors, who included such a (correct) statement so far outside their own attainable knowledge.

And there are a billion other examples where that came from, whereby qualitative knowledge of modern science can be easily made transmissible and comprehensible to even the most primitive audience.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
11-03-2014, 11:51 AM
(11-03-2014 11:25 AM)cjlr Wrote:  You know what's simple? Like, real simple?

That's all it'd have to say. Write that into the old testament in 400 BC and you've got some stunningly compelling evidence for inspiration. Because to contemporary knowledge this was impossible to know or prove. It would be a - ludicrously simple - statement, which would when eventually confirmed be a tremendously powerful testament to the authors, who included such a (correct) statement so far outside their own attainable knowledge.

And there are a billion other examples where that came from, whereby qualitative knowledge of modern science can be easily made transmissible and comprehensible to even the most primitive audience.

Yeah, the next time I see someone tell me how we know the Bible is true because all of the prophesies have been fulfilled (even though they haven't), I should bring that up. If the earth had been dated to over four billion years old several thousand years ago, they'd have a more compelling case.
11-03-2014, 11:55 AM
(11-03-2014 11:51 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 11:25 AM)cjlr Wrote:  You know what's simple? Like, real simple?

Yeah, the next time I see someone tell me how we know the Bible is true because all of the prophesies have been fulfilled (even though they haven't), I should bring that up. If the earth had been dated to over four billion years old several thousand years ago, they'd have a more compelling case.

There is nothing in the Bible that wouldn't have been commonplace in a bronze age low tech culture. If there was a series of anachronistic revelations then it would have upped the credibility. Had the Bible correctly predicted Germ Theory and Quantum Mechanics then you can make a case for outside intelligence.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
13-03-2014, 12:08 AM
(11-03-2014 11:25 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 10:49 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I've heard the argument before that evolution is real, but God had the Bible be simple so people could understand it. If that were true, you'd think that the creation story would have involved God morphing organisms over the six days, or something. That, and it doesn't address all the things you mentioned that would have been super useful for keeping God's people safe and informed.

Yeah. I've heard similar nonsense. And nonsense it assuredly is.

You know what's simple? Like, real simple?

This would be right up your alley cjlr. This is YouTuber philhellenes with a retelling of the story of creation in Genesis to include 40 moderns facts of cosmology and physics, and written in a way as to be understandable to layman and not using any vocabulary that didn't exist back then (e.g. the concept of the atom predates Genesis).

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
13-03-2014, 10:32 AM
(10-03-2014 05:37 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  So, according to Christians, what was the purpose of the universe beyond Earth? Why did God 'create' it? Just to taunt us?

The heavens are the LORD's heavens,
but the earth he has given to the children of man.
(Psalm 115:16 ESV)

The Earth is the only part of the universe that was created for us. He hasn't revealed his purpose in creating the rest of the universe.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2014, 11:23 AM
(13-03-2014 10:32 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 05:37 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  So, according to Christians, what was the purpose of the universe beyond Earth? Why did God 'create' it? Just to taunt us?

The heavens are the LORD's heavens,
but the earth he has given to the children of man.
(Psalm 115:16 ESV)

The Earth is the only part of the universe that was created for us. He hasn't revealed his purpose in creating the rest of the universe.

That's an ancient poem. It reveals no more about the nature of the universe than Frost or Tennyson.
[+] 3 users Like meremortal's post