Questioning Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2015, 10:15 PM
Questioning Religion
Tonight was getting increasingly more difficult to bear as it progressed... Sitting near my religious parents and their friends, I had to over hear many of the fallacies, straw men, and terrible reasoning all in one fucking sitting...All from “Who would die for a lie?” to “Jesus must have came back from the dead because there's no body!” and my least favorite “The amount of detail in the Bible concludes that Jesus must have come back from the dead and did all of the miracles.” Those of you that read my name know that I am unable to reveal my lack of belief in any God or god's yet. It's just so difficult to sit and listen, knowing that their reasoning is faulty, and also being capable to refute every wrong thing they say about a subject with complete inaccuracy, spreading wrong information. But I remain in silence. Which leads me to my question, that hopefully you wonderful people will be able to answer or explain.

I understand that questions are probably going to be my ticket out of the hidden atheistic life I live as of right now. Questioning things from the Bible, philosophical questions about God's supposed nature, and even scientific questions. The problem I am facing though is the fear in actually asking very reasonable questions... I honestly have very little understanding of the reasons behind my fear of asking those questions, especially knowing that it's very likely to help me climb out of religion openly. But I'm still fighting and avoiding asking those questions that I've asked in my head, which eventually helped me come to the conclusion that atheism is likely the most realistic answer. But to ask those questions openly is something I fear for some reason. It's probable that the way I was raised (which was to not ask questions) is the reason I have this fear, but how do I get out of that bubble? I could use facts to refute certain assertions they make, but I feel as if that makes me look like a know-it-all, if you know what I mean. Contradicting everything they say with factual data will get them a little upset I think, which is another thing that I have trouble facing. I think I just never want to be the “bad guy”. I know that not everyone is going to like me or enjoy my company, but I'd prefer to be the guy that people are willing to be with and not feel inferior or something. Which may even be a irrational assumption I make, but I do have one friend that does that very thing, at least the way he acts and holds himself, as superior in some way. I feel I'm rambling now, but if you could maybe give me some possible ways I could escape the fear of asking basic questions, or not caring fully what people think of me, or even what you did to come out slowly or abruptly would be really appreciative. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2015, 10:36 PM
RE: Questioning Religion
Hug

Wishing you all the very best.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
30-03-2015, 12:01 AM
It depends on your personal situation, e.g. do you all live under one roof, are you dependent economically on your very religious family? How would you expect them to react from how you know them?
30-03-2015, 01:15 AM
(30-03-2015 12:01 AM)Alex K Wrote:  It depends on your personal situation, e.g. do you all live under one roof, are you dependent economically on your very religious family? How would you expect them to react from how you know them?

Currently, I am living under their roof and am economically dependent on them. As to how they would react, it's likely they would be both sad and confused. I have a very high certainty that they won't kick me out or anything, but they may distant themselves which isn't something I really want. But knowing others stories, that has a reasonable probability of happening. Not wholly sure of exactly how they'll react, but I'd say confused and sad would be the best words.
30-03-2015, 02:25 AM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2015 02:32 AM by Alex K.)
(30-03-2015 01:15 AM)The Hidden Atheist Wrote:  
(30-03-2015 12:01 AM)Alex K Wrote:  It depends on your personal situation, e.g. do you all live under one roof, are you dependent economically on your very religious family? How would you expect them to react from how you know them?

Currently, I am living under their roof and am economically dependent on them. As to how they would react, it's likely they would be both sad and confused. I have a very high certainty that they won't kick me out or anything, but they may distant themselves which isn't something I really want. But knowing others stories, that has a reasonable probability of happening. Not wholly sure of exactly how they'll react, but I'd say confused and sad would be the best words.

In that case I don't dare give any concrete yes/no advice.
Is that going to change, i.e. you moving out or have a job etc any time soo? I don't know how old you are etc...
But they are your parents, and if things are as they are supposed to be, they'll love you for who you are. If they distance themselves from you for what you sincerely believe, basically for who you are, that's something they have to deal with. I'd play it safe as long as you are dependent. But reading what you write, it seems that you will feel estranged and distant from them if the situation doesn't change, and in that case what's the use of keeping quiet forever...

You could have a look at greta christina's book "coming out atheist"