Questioning The Intangible Versus Questioning the Tangible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 03:54 AM
Questioning The Intangible Versus Questioning the Tangible
Are theists more likely to be conspiracy theorists than atheists, given the few people who have come on these forums who have openly called themselves conspiracy theorists the community here thus far has ostracized them for their beliefs, shunning them, and berating them. Asking for evidence and then flatly denying said evidence not because of the lack of believability of said evidence but because of wanting to believe on the part of the non-believers.

These observations however could very well be bias in the statistics, but the local atheist group where I live was also seemingly overwhelmingly non-conspiracy theorists.

The theists i've spoken to while many were not conspiracy theorists themselves were much more open to the possibility of conspiracies.

While this could be due to the fact that atheists might be more skeptical, it raises concerns of why they aren't more skeptical of the government but rather are more skeptical of their fellow man, when in reality they should hold them both with equal skepticism.

Not believing some or many conspiracies I can understand, but believing none? Not a single one? To be so opposed to the very notion that you chase away all those who come to you wanting to share with you their discovery just as you might try and share with theists your 'discovery' about god?

Yet for everything conspiracy theorists should be the ones coming out on top, unlike god, they can actually disprove the claims of the government with science, good science at that. Yet you seem to reject science, to reject the very thing you consider the pinnacle of reason.

Is it easier to believe perhaps that you were lied to out of ignorance of the concept of god than it is to believe that you were lied to out of malice in regards to criminal activity? Do you still believe that OJ Simpson never murdered his wife? That Casey Anthony never murdered her daughter? Yet the evidence in said cases were no less than say the evidence indicating that the government orchestrated the September 11th attacks.

Perhaps this problem is more closely rooted to our evolution at least on the level of psychology, we are a social species that divides ourselves into pack/groups/clans/tribes perhaps it is part of a pack mentality. Which would make a little sense to me because I've never really been much of a 'social' person always the lone wolf, the maverick, the vagabond. etc. Therefore everything and anything has always been fair game.

This pack mentality may also explain why it took so long for atheism to really take off and why it still is struggling to take hold in modern America.

Don't pay to much attention to this thread though, its just my observations.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2017, 04:05 AM
RE: Questioning The Intangible Versus Questioning the Tangible
(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Are theists more likely to be conspiracy theorists than atheists, given the few people who have come on these forums who have openly called themselves conspiracy theorists the community here thus far has ostracized them for their beliefs, shunning them, and berating them. Asking for evidence and then flatly denying said evidence not because of the lack of believability of said evidence but because of wanting to believe on the part of the non-believers.

Are you simple, or what?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-01-2017, 05:19 AM
(11-01-2017 04:05 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Are theists more likely to be conspiracy theorists than atheists, given the few people who have come on these forums who have openly called themselves conspiracy theorists the community here thus far has ostracized them for their beliefs, shunning them, and berating them. Asking for evidence and then flatly denying said evidence not because of the lack of believability of said evidence but because of wanting to believe on the part of the non-believers.

Are you simple, or what?

Observation, when the denizens of this forum come across someone that disagrees with them their first reaction is to belittle, insult, demean, and mock that person. Hardly fitting of the 'higher' class of simians they claim to be. But something more expected of a chimpanzee who flings his dung at his enemy, except in the place of dung there is verbal slurs.
[+] 4 users Like Celestial_Wonder's post
11-01-2017, 06:12 AM
(11-01-2017 05:19 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 04:05 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Are you simple, or what?

Observation, when the denizens of this forum come across someone that disagrees with them their first reaction is to belittle, insult, demean, and mock that person.

Wow, stunning! absolutely amazing, interesting. Your observation is spot on. I admire your intellect for coming to make these astounding observations.

Is that more what you like to hear?

P.S.: Sorry for paying attention to this thread, although its only your observations.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
11-01-2017, 06:14 AM
(11-01-2017 05:19 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 04:05 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Are you simple, or what?

Observation, when the denizens of this forum come across someone that disagrees with them their first reaction is to belittle, insult, demean, and mock that person. Hardly fitting of the 'higher' class of simians they claim to be. But something more expected of a chimpanzee who flings his dung at his enemy, except in the place of dung there is verbal slurs.

You got shown to be a twit, now you come back whining about bias. Why am I not surprised? Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
11-01-2017, 06:15 AM
(11-01-2017 06:12 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 05:19 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Observation, when the denizens of this forum come across someone that disagrees with them their first reaction is to belittle, insult, demean, and mock that person.

Wow, stunning! absolutely amazing, interesting. Your observation is spot on. I admire your intellect for coming to make these astounding observations.

You just exemplified his point by sarcastically mocking him. Facepalm

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
11-01-2017, 06:50 AM
(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Are theists more likely to be conspiracy theorists than atheists, given the few people who have come on these forums who have openly called themselves conspiracy theorists the community here thus far has ostracized them for their beliefs, shunning them, and berating them.

Citation? You should also be prepared to show citations when the berating, shunning and ostracism began. In my experience the people who call themselves conspiracy theorists are usually the ones who get irate when their beliefs are questioned.

(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Asking for evidence and then flatly denying said evidence not because of the lack of believability of said evidence but because of wanting to believe on the part of the non-believers.

Citation?

(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  These observations however could very well be bias in the statistics, but the local atheist group where I live was also seemingly overwhelmingly non-conspiracy theorists.

Of course they are. Drinking Beverage

(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  The theists i've spoken to while many were not conspiracy theorists themselves were much more open to the possibility of conspiracies.

Gullibility is a dangerous mindset.

(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  While this could be due to the fact that atheists might be more skeptical, it raises concerns of why they aren't more skeptical of the government but rather are more skeptical of their fellow man, when in reality they should hold them both with equal skepticism.

Given the vehement political discussions on these forums, this statement is patently FALSE.

(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Not believing some or many conspiracies I can understand, but believing none? Not a single one? To be so opposed to the very notion that you chase away all those who come to you wanting to share with you their discovery just as you might try and share with theists your 'discovery' about god?

You are being dishonest. You are redefining words. A conspiracy is not the same as a conspiracy theory. I, personally, have already had this conversation with you. Your repetition of these false statements is tantamount to lying.

(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Yet for everything conspiracy theorists should be the ones coming out on top, unlike god, they can actually disprove the claims of the government with science, good science at that. Yet you seem to reject science, to reject the very thing you consider the pinnacle of reason.

Once again, you are being dishonest. Conspiracy theories do not rely on evidence. They build a chain of anomalous facts that only stand together when all other explanations are discarded and all contrary evidence is discarded.

(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Is it easier to believe perhaps that you were lied to out of ignorance of the concept of god than it is to believe that you were lied to out of malice in regards to criminal activity? Do you still believe that OJ Simpson never murdered his wife? That Casey Anthony never murdered her daughter? Yet the evidence in said cases were no less than say the evidence indicating that the government orchestrated the September 11th attacks.

This statement perfectly demonstrates your complete lack of understanding.

O.J. Simpson did murder his wife. The police had evidence that included a blood trail from the bodies to his bedroom. He was acquitted due to judicial errors and a damn good legal team.

The evidence did not support that Casey Anthony killed her daughter. It's almost certain that she did, but the prosecution simply did not have a strong enough case.

9/11 was an inside job? Sorry, but none of the various theories hold up. The sole exception being the theory that people can make money off the gullible.

You are comparing one case with a mountain of evidence, one case with too little evidence and a new genre of fantasy fiction.

(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  This pack mentality may also explain why it took so long for atheism to really take off and why it still is struggling to take hold in modern America.

Hmm. Couldn't have anything to do with the smothering effect of religion and the societal dominance and intolerant of the religious, could it? Drinking Beverage

(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Don't pay to much attention to this thread though, its just my observations.

You mean "baseless assumptions and unsupported opinions".

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
11-01-2017, 07:29 AM
(11-01-2017 06:15 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 06:12 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Wow, stunning! absolutely amazing, interesting. Your observation is spot on. I admire your intellect for coming to make these astounding observations.

You just exemplified his point by sarcastically mocking him. Facepalm

I am just honestly trying to make him happy. Thats why i asked him. Banjos (loaded) question didnt seem to be acceptable, so i thought he would appreciate some positive feedback.
How did you figure i was sarcastic? I truly think CW deserves some appreciation (after he suffered so much abuse in the past), so i was asking how i could give him a little positive feedback, thats all.

I totally agree with him when he says
Quote:Not believing some or many conspiracies I can understand, but believing none? Not a single one?
It is stupid not to believe in a single conspiracy theory. There are so many out there, one must be true, at least one.
So, what bad can it be to believe in a conspiracy theory. Come on, only one, it cant hurt at all. He is spot on. Dont be so picky.

Or this really spectacular thought:
Quote:Yet for everything conspiracy theorists should be the ones coming out on top, unlike god, they can actually disprove the claims of the government with science, good science at that
Dont you remember all those conspiracies that were uncovered by conspiracy theorists and their good science in the past? If you dont remember, its maybe due to a conspiracy to try and gloss over the uncovering of all those conspiracies. Think about it!

Lets be honest and have a look in the mirror
Quote:Yet you seem to reject science, to reject the very thing you consider the pinnacle of reason.
Cant you remember all the endless threads where TTA was presented with hard facts, hypotheses and even elaborate scientific theories and how hard the scientific ignorant members here tried to reject and deflect? It happens every day on TTA: Someone opens a thread (like pops, Kerim, etc.) presents his groundbreaking ideas, and all they get back is ignorance and pack-like attacks. It even happened to the OP, multiple times even. Go back and check the threads.

Finally, and its heartbreaking, check this out:
Quote:Asking for evidence and then flatly denying said evidence not because of the lack of believability of said evidence but because of wanting to believe on the part of the non-believers.
It was about time that someone told this pack of TTA dickheads that their motivation is due to what the want to believe. It was about time someone told them what they want to believe! Why always rejecting those bright souls who really know what you want to believe? Its about time you guys accept what these clever individuals are telling you. I mean, its an observation, and its one by someone who is very well known for being both, clever and reasonable like the OP. How do you dare to have your own standard of evidence anyway? How arrogant and presumptuous. If you ask CW for evidence and CW presensts what he thinks is evidence, how do you dare to reject said evidence? Hypocrites!

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 6 users Like Deesse23's post
11-01-2017, 09:07 AM
(11-01-2017 07:29 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 06:15 AM)Vosur Wrote:  You just exemplified his point by sarcastically mocking him. Facepalm

I am just honestly trying to make him happy. Thats why i asked him. Banjos (loaded) question didnt seem to be acceptable, so i thought he would appreciate some positive feedback.
How did you figure i was sarcastic? I truly think CW deserves some appreciation (after he suffered so much abuse in the past), so i was asking how i could give him a little positive feedback, thats all.

Quote:Not believing some or many conspiracies I can understand, but believing none? Not a single one?
It is stupid not to believe in a single conspiracy theory. There are so many out there, one must be true, at least one.
So, what bad can it be to believe in a conspiracy theory. Come on, only one, it cant hurt at all. He is spot on. Dont be so picky.

Quote:Yet for everything conspiracy theorists should be the ones coming out on top, unlike god, they can actually disprove the claims of the government with science, good science at that
Dont you remember all those conspiracies that were uncovered by conspiracy theorists and their good science in the past? If you dont remember, its maybe due to a conspiracy to try and gloss over the uncovering of all those conspiracies. Think about it!

Quote:Yet you seem to reject science, to reject the very thing you consider the pinnacle of reason.
Cant you remember all the endless threads where TTA was presented with hard facts, hypotheses and even elaborate scientific theories and how hard the scientific ignorant members here tried to reject and deflect? It happens every day on TTA: Someone opens a thread (like pops, Kerim, etc.) presents his groundbreaking ideas, and all they get back is ignorance and pack-like attacks. It even happened to the OP, multiple times even. Go back and check the threads.

Quote:Asking for evidence and then flatly denying said evidence not because of the lack of believability of said evidence but because of wanting to believe on the part of the non-believers.
It was about time that someone told this pack of TTA dickheads that their motivation is due to what the want to believe. It was about time someone told them what they want to believe! Why always rejecting those bright souls who really know what you want to believe? Its about time you guys accept what these clever individuals are telling you. I mean, its an observation, and its one by someone who is very well known for being both, clever and reasonable like the OP. How do you dare to have your own standard of evidence anyway? How arrogant and presumptuous. If you ask CW for evidence and CW presensts what he thinks is evidence, how do you dare to reject said evidence? Hypocrites!
Sorry mate, but the only thing that doubling down on your sarcasm does is prove his point even further. He's absolutely right that people who disagree with the popular views on this forum get mocked, belittled, insulted and ganged up on at every turn.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
11-01-2017, 12:48 PM
(11-01-2017 09:07 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 07:29 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I am just honestly trying to make him happy. Thats why i asked him. Banjos (loaded) question didnt seem to be acceptable, so i thought he would appreciate some positive feedback.

Sorry mate, but the only thing that doubling down on your sarcasm does is prove his point even further. He's absolutely right that people who disagree with the popular views on this forum get mocked, belittled, insulted and ganged up on at every turn.

FFS pull the stick out your ass. CW isn't some guy on a pedestal, he's a shithead just like everyone else, except he gets pissy when his puerile bullshit gets called out.

Of course we mock idiots. What do you want us to do with them?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post