Questioning The Intangible Versus Questioning the Tangible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 12:58 PM
RE: Questioning The Intangible Versus Questioning the Tangible
(11-01-2017 12:48 PM)morondog Wrote:  FFS pull the stick out your ass. CW isn't some guy on a pedestal, he's a shithead just like everyone else, except he gets pissy when his puerile bullshit gets called out.

Of course we mock idiots. What do you want us to do with them?
Are you saying that everyone who disagrees with the popular views on this forum is an idiot? That's the group of people I explicitly referred to in my post so unless you think that those people are all idiots, I don't see the point of your retort.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
11-01-2017, 01:05 PM
(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Are theists more likely to be conspiracy theorists than atheists, given the few people who have come on these forums who have openly called themselves conspiracy theorists the community here thus far has ostracized them for their beliefs, shunning them, and berating them. Asking for evidence and then flatly denying said evidence not because of the lack of believability of said evidence but because of wanting to believe on the part of the non-believers.

9 times out of 10 (and that's generous) conspiracy theories are nonsense. So, one must evaluate conspiracy theories carefully before considering them at all credible. Therefore, evidence is required. Without evidence, it is true we will disagree. Without evidence, if you continue to find them credible or push for others to do so too, yes you will likely be ridiculed because it's completely silly. Evidence that is "denied" is denied because it isn't evidence at all so your last sentence in the above quote is a total misrepresentation. It's the kind of statement that gets you ridiculed because you can't simply admit that you were wrong and honestly reconsider your position based on facts.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
11-01-2017, 01:06 PM
(11-01-2017 06:15 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 06:12 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Wow, stunning! absolutely amazing, interesting. Your observation is spot on. I admire your intellect for coming to make these astounding observations.

Is that more what you like to hear?
You just exemplified his point by sarcastically mocking him. Facepalm

In all fairness Vosur, this wasn't a "first reaction". Celestial_Wonder has been around for quite a while.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
11-01-2017, 01:08 PM
(11-01-2017 01:06 PM)Impulse Wrote:  In all fairness Vosur, this wasn't a "first reaction". Celestial_Wonder has been around for quite a while.
Feel free to take a look at the thread of the Christian girl who posted her conversion story here a few days ago if you want to see people mock and belittle someone who was completely civil in their introduction and only had a single post at the time.

[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
11-01-2017, 01:16 PM
(11-01-2017 01:08 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Feel free to take a look at the thread of the Christian girl who posted her conversion story here a few days ago if you want to see people mock and belittle someone who was completely civil in their introduction and only had a single post at the time.
Deesse23's post that you said exemplified this didn't, and that was my point.

11-01-2017, 01:27 PM
(11-01-2017 12:58 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 12:48 PM)morondog Wrote:  FFS pull the stick out your ass. CW isn't some guy on a pedestal, he's a shithead just like everyone else, except he gets pissy when his puerile bullshit gets called out.

Of course we mock idiots. What do you want us to do with them?
Are you saying that everyone who disagrees with the popular views on this forum is an idiot? That's the group of people I explicitly referred to in my post so unless you think that those people are all idiots, I don't see the point of your retort.

Rolleyes CW is a certified idiot at any rate. People react how people react. If someone pisses me off I am very likely to chirp. What's wrong with that?

I think you can probably find examples of people who I would agree get mocked without just cause. I think the vast majority who do get mocked *are* idiots. Clear?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-01-2017, 01:29 PM
(11-01-2017 01:16 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Deesse23's post that you said exemplified this didn't, and that was my point.
The validity of your point, as far as I can tell, depends on what C_W meant when he used the term "first reaction." Was he referring to people's first reaction to the first post of a newly registered user or their first reaction to a given post or thread whose content clashes with what they believe to be true? I think it's the latter, but it's hard to say for sure without further input from him.

11-01-2017, 01:46 PM
(11-01-2017 01:29 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 01:16 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Deesse23's post that you said exemplified this didn't, and that was my point.
The validity of your point, as far as I can tell, depends on what C_W meant when he used the term "first reaction." Was he referring to people's first reaction to the first post of a newly registered user or their first reaction to a given post or thread whose content clashes with what they believe to be true? I think it's the latter, but it's hard to say for sure without further input from him.
I understand your point, but I think some users will get a higher volume of negative first reactions to their new threads based on their history than others will. So it still comes down to reactions within context which is what I think Deese23's post was about.

Also, I should add that I agree some new users do sometimes get undeserved negative reply posts.

11-01-2017, 02:09 PM
(11-01-2017 01:27 PM)morondog Wrote:  Rolleyes CW is a certified idiot at any rate. People react how people react. If someone pisses me off I am very likely to chirp. What's wrong with that?
If my experience on this forum has taught me anything, it's that mocking or insulting people in a debate eliminates any chance swaying their mind because it puts them on the defensive and makes it humiliating for them to concede errors or defeat. You know that I'm plenty guilty of doing this myself in the past, but I do recognize the problem and try to avoid it as much as possible. I slip up sometimes, but I have yet to meet someone who didn't accept a sincere apology afterwards. To be honest, I don't see why we shouldn't strive to have the same high quality discourse that takes places in the Boxing Ring section in the rest of the forum, even absent any interference from the moderators. I personally think it would be a much more productive use of everyone's time.

(11-01-2017 01:27 PM)morondog Wrote:  I think you can probably find examples of people who I would agree get mocked without just cause. I think the vast majority who do get mocked *are* idiots. Clear?
(11-01-2017 01:46 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Also, I should add that I agree some new users do sometimes get undeserved negative reply posts.
Well, at least we can all agree that not every poster who gets that kind of treatment deserves it.

(11-01-2017 01:46 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I understand your point, but I think some users will get a higher volume of negative first reactions to their new threads based on their history than others will. So it still comes down to reactions within context which is what I think Deese23's post was about.
You're right about that. There's no denying that people have some level of influence over the kind of responses they receive, but that influence only goes so far. Taqiyya Mockingbird, now that was one vicious bastard who would attack anyone without even taking their previous conduct into account. I don't plan on calling out any active users that are like him by name, but they do exist and I hope they have the self-awareness to know who they are.

[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
11-01-2017, 02:21 PM
(11-01-2017 01:05 PM)Impulse Wrote:  9 times out of 10 (and that's generous) conspiracy theories are nonsense. So, one must evaluate conspiracy theories carefully before considering them at all credible.

In general I feel that the more absurd the claim, the less initial credibility it has. It's much too easy to make up some inflammatory crap about {problem or event}+{person or group}+{secret operations or agenda}, and that should be a red flag that the whole thing has an inordinately high probability of being rubbish.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post