Questioning The Intangible Versus Questioning the Tangible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 02:27 PM
RE: Questioning The Intangible Versus Questioning the Tangible
(11-01-2017 02:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Taqiyya Mockingbird, now that was one vicious bastard who would attack anyone without even taking their previous conduct into account.
Yeah, I remember him. I used to get into arguments with him all the time on that very point. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
11-01-2017, 03:13 PM
(11-01-2017 02:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 01:27 PM)morondog Wrote:  Rolleyes CW is a certified idiot at any rate. People react how people react. If someone pisses me off I am very likely to chirp. What's wrong with that?
If my experience on this forum has taught me anything, it's that mocking or insulting people in a debate eliminates any chance swaying their mind because it puts them on the defensive and makes it humiliating for them to concede errors or defeat. You know that I'm plenty guilty of doing this myself in the past, but I do recognize the problem and try to avoid it as much as possible. I slip up sometimes, but I have yet to meet someone who didn't accept a sincere apology afterwards. To be honest, I don't see why we shouldn't strive to have the same high quality discourse that takes places in the Boxing Ring section in the rest of the forum, even absent any interference from the moderators. I personally think it would be a much more productive use of everyone's time.

We have the boxing ring if people want civil debate. The rest... I enjoy a bit of uncivil debate. As has been repeated ad nauseam, respect is earned not given. Politeness likewise - except I'll start with a modicum of the same and if the person proves unworthy then they get the treatment. I'm not here to be productive typically. I'm here to shoot the breeze.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-01-2017, 03:14 PM
(11-01-2017 02:27 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 02:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Taqiyya Mockingbird, now that was one vicious bastard who would attack anyone without even taking their previous conduct into account.
Yeah, I remember him. I used to get into arguments with him all the time on that very point. Dodgy

I liked him. My beef was that he was boring as fuck after a while.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-01-2017, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 09:39 PM by Celestial_Wonder.)
(11-01-2017 01:29 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 01:16 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Deesse23's post that you said exemplified this didn't, and that was my point.
The validity of your point, as far as I can tell, depends on what C_W meant when he used the term "first reaction." Was he referring to people's first reaction to the first post of a newly registered user or their first reaction to a given post or thread whose content clashes with what they believe to be true? I think it's the latter, but it's hard to say for sure without further input from him.

The latter yes. Turning a discussion into a insult hurling fiesta is not my idea of an open-minded discussion.

(11-01-2017 03:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  We have the boxing ring if people want civil debate. The rest... I enjoy a bit of uncivil debate. As has been repeated ad nauseam, respect is earned not given. Politeness likewise - except I'll start with a modicum of the same and if the person proves unworthy then they get the treatment. I'm not here to be productive typically. I'm here to shoot the breeze.

I believe the saying is 'stroking your own ego'.

A more humble man gives respect freely to everyone, even those most would consider undeserving of respect instead of commanding that others earn it. And how would one earn respect? Likely only by the standards that you yourself set, perhaps for other people who are more like you, than say those who come to you with a different ideas.

(11-01-2017 01:05 PM)Impulse Wrote:  9 times out of 10 (and that's generous) conspiracy theories are nonsense. So, one must evaluate conspiracy theories carefully before considering them at all credible. Therefore, evidence is required. Without evidence, it is true we will disagree. Without evidence, if you continue to find them credible or push for others to do so too, yes you will likely be ridiculed because it's completely silly. Evidence that is "denied" is denied because it isn't evidence at all so your last sentence in the above quote is a total misrepresentation. It's the kind of statement that gets you ridiculed because you can't simply admit that you were wrong and honestly reconsider your position based on facts.

1 out of 10 is pretty good odds. When the evidence is pure science, denying it is the the equivalent of being a creationist. It is then ironic that a creationist should be ridiculing evolutionists saying that they lack evidence. Which of course ties in with the thread title quite nicely. Perhaps its just easier for some to question the tangible reality and for others it is easier to question the intangible reality. Every person is unique in their own way after all.
[+] 1 user Likes Celestial_Wonder's post
11-01-2017, 09:42 PM
(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Which would make a little sense to me because I've never really been much of a 'social' person always the lone wolf, the maverick, the vagabond. etc. Therefore everything and anything has always been fair game.

That makes sense.
I see you talk to yourself in a language unknown to modern humans.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-01-2017, 09:43 PM
(11-01-2017 09:30 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 03:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  We have the boxing ring if people want civil debate. The rest... I enjoy a bit of uncivil debate. As has been repeated ad nauseam, respect is earned not given. Politeness likewise - except I'll start with a modicum of the same and if the person proves unworthy then they get the treatment. I'm not here to be productive typically. I'm here to shoot the breeze.

I believe the saying is 'stroking your own ego'.

A more humble man gives respect freely to everyone, even those most would consider undeserving of respect instead of commanding that others earn it. And how would one earn respect? Likely only by the standards that you yourself set, perhaps for other people who are more like you, than say those who come to you with a different ideas.

Nah mate, when a guy proves to be as much of a prat as you there's no reason to give you any respect. And the irony of you accusing others of being here to stroke their own ego? Hah. Fucken tool.

[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
11-01-2017, 10:14 PM
(11-01-2017 09:07 AM)Vosur Wrote:  He's absolutely right that people who disagree with the popular views on this forum get mocked, belittled, insulted and ganged up on at every turn.

There are several threads I can think of off the top of my head where people who disagree with the popular views on this forum do not get mocked, belittled, insulted, and ganged up on at every turn.

People aren't getting mocked because they don't jive with the popular opinion, they get mocked cause their alternative to that opinion is demonstrably fucking stupid. If the popular opinion is that the world is round and you say it's a chocolate frickin' eclair then fella you are gonna get mocked and rightly so. Ridiculous opinions should be subjected to ridicule, propriety and manners be damned.

The Christian girl got mocked by a lot of people because she made a point, several times, of telling us how she was a critical thinker and proceeded to give a load of examples of opinions and beliefs that were so divorced from critical thinking that it was flat out comical. If I tell everyone how awesome an architect I am but I don't know what a wall is I should expect to be made fun of.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
12-01-2017, 01:20 AM
(11-01-2017 10:14 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 09:07 AM)Vosur Wrote:  He's absolutely right that people who disagree with the popular views on this forum get mocked, belittled, insulted and ganged up on at every turn.

There are several threads I can think of off the top of my head where people who disagree with the popular views on this forum do not get mocked, belittled, insulted, and ganged up on at every turn.

People aren't getting mocked because they don't jive with the popular opinion, they get mocked cause their alternative to that opinion is demonstrably fucking stupid. If the popular opinion is that the world is round and you say it's a chocolate frickin' eclair then fella you are gonna get mocked and rightly so. Ridiculous opinions should be subjected to ridicule, propriety and manners be damned.

The Christian girl got mocked by a lot of people because she made a point, several times, of telling us how she was a critical thinker and proceeded to give a load of examples of opinions and beliefs that were so divorced from critical thinking that it was flat out comical. If I tell everyone how awesome an architect I am but I don't know what a wall is I should expect to be made fun of.

Do you think mocking others shows them your superior intellect? That girl was a critical thinker, and while she may have been less critical in areas than you or others were, she undoubtedly is more critical in areas you and others are not.

Within each and every mind on this planet is a gold mine, a treasure just waiting to be found. Even yours and morondog's.
[+] 3 users Like Celestial_Wonder's post
12-01-2017, 02:09 AM
Hello Celestial_Wonder! Big Grin

(12-01-2017 01:20 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  That girl was a critical thinker

(12-01-2017 01:20 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  And while she may have been less critical in areas than you or others were...

(12-01-2017 01:20 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  She undoubtedly is more critical in areas you and others are not.

You see... when you take the three different thoughts/parts of that sentence apart and read them separately.. and think about them... They actually don't make any sense.

If some one says that they are a critical thinker. Then they should be able to think critically and can/should think critically about points raised in response to things posted by themselves.

To sort of word it such that you think said person was some how 'special' is... well... *Scratches head trying to think of correct term* Consider

It's odd.

(12-01-2017 01:20 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Within each and every mind on this planet is a gold mine, a treasure just waiting to be found. Even yours and morondog's.

Nope, I would word it more like;

"Every one is a universe within the confines of their own skin. We bridge the void between our minds/experiences with the poorly made and leaky words of the languages in which we speak."

For myself however, having been reading the forums for a while... some minds that get to try and sail their words across the screen for others to try and understand are well... simply, seemingly, just full of sh!t. Sad
[+] 4 users Like Peebothuhul's post
12-01-2017, 02:18 AM
(11-01-2017 02:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Taqiyya Mockingbird, now that was one vicious bastard who would attack anyone without even taking their previous conduct into account. I don't plan on calling out any active users that are like him by name, but they do exist and I hope they have the self-awareness to know who they are.

Muffs, whisky, bucky, myself... Consider

I'm at a loss... Undecided

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post