Questioning The Intangible Versus Questioning the Tangible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2017, 03:07 PM
RE: Questioning The Intangible Versus Questioning the Tangible
(12-01-2017 02:39 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  No, I really don't see how saying that "After all those years of thinking critically, you had an experience in your brain and somehow the skeptical part of your brain stopped working" imply that theists in general can't be critical thinkers.

If one is oversensitive then one could read these words as implying that theists with same kind of experience that OP stated she had couldn't be a critical thinker but that's all.
It's clear enough that you're trying to downplay the gravity of his words. How many theists do you think came to believe in God because of a personal experience? I'd wager that number is high enough for your distinction between "all theists" and "all theists with an experience like hers" to be nothing more than nit-picking.

(12-01-2017 02:39 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Who else? Any person with overactive imagination that thought so.
You know that I think? I think that your cutesy attempt at mimicking my words didn't work out because you failed to take the context in which they were used into account and that you're trying to save face by pretending to be obtuse after I called you out on it. If you seriously expect me to believe that you just like to comment on the imagination of made-up people with imaginary opinions that just happen to be reading your post while we're debating, I have a bridge to sell you.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2017, 03:11 PM
(12-01-2017 03:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  Stupidity and stupid ideas get mocked; simple disagreement does not.

If stupidity were to be mocked then I think we would all be crushed under the weight of all that mocking.

Its easy to say that only those things get mocked when you are the primary decider of what constitutes as stupid or stupidity.
[+] 1 user Likes Celestial_Wonder's post
12-01-2017, 03:13 PM
(12-01-2017 03:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, because his point was about disagreement, not about stupidity. The mockery is for the stupidity.
(12-01-2017 03:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  Stupidity and stupid ideas get mocked; simple disagreement does not.

Who decides what is and isn't stupid? You? Well, that would certainly be convenient for your argument that mockery is reserved for stupidity.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
12-01-2017, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 03:33 PM by Szuchow.)
(12-01-2017 03:07 PM)Vosur Wrote:  It's clear enough that you're trying to downplay the gravity of his words.

It's clear enough that you try make your interpretation of Rahn words correct one.

Quote:How many theists do you think came to believe in God because of a personal experience?

I neither know nor I care.

Quote:I'd wager that number is high enough for your distinction between "all theists" and "all theists with an experience like hers" to be nothing more than nit-picking.

I don't care about that number. You think that your interpretation is correct one? That's fine and dandy. Just don't expect that everyone will agree.

Quote:You know that I think? I think that your cutesy attempt at mimicking my words didn't work out because you failed to take the context in which they were used into account and that you're trying to save face by pretending to be obtuse after I called you out on it. If you seriously expect me to believe that you just like to comment on the imagination of made-up people with imaginary opinions that just happen to be reading your post while we're debating, I have a bridge to sell you.

And I think you believe that my attempt at treating you with your own medicine failed. But there is no reason for which I should care about your beliefs. You're entitled to have them no matter how wrong or stupid they might be.

As for believing I expect that you will believe in narration that you already espouse. Bad atheists imply that no theists can be critical thinker.

Edit: I doubt that you will believe but these One must have very active imagination to think that these words imply that believers can't be critical thinkers words weren't directed at you. They served as prelude to these Active imagination is also required to think that these words are mocking and belittling. which most certainly were directed at you. My post looked different than one you quoted. You reordered quotes and I'm not really willing to give you benefit of doubt.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
12-01-2017, 03:18 PM
(12-01-2017 03:13 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 03:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, because his point was about disagreement, not about stupidity. The mockery is for the stupidity.

Who decides what is and isn't stupid? You? Well, that would certainly be convenient for your argument that mockery is reserved for stupidity.

You and A2 have generalized that mockery is the norm here. It is not.
Not every theist and not only theists who get mocked and it is a minority of forum members who do the mocking.
It is generally applied to those who are deluded, willfully ignorant, and/or liars.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-01-2017, 03:21 PM
(12-01-2017 01:38 PM)Vosur Wrote:  What was going on.

A superior way of contempt shown towards atheists by a xian proselytizer. Even the username was born of a feeling of superiority over us.

You may be unaware I helped run a site like this, but one so large and popular generated 6 million + hits per month.

I know all their tricks and spotted that one instantly.

These days I am not prepared to sit back. I've lost patience.

Be involved in this sort of thing for as many decades as I, and you will recognise obvious BS when you see it too.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Seth started TTA as a community for non-believers, and *we* support(ed) it as such. If believers want to post their shit here, they can expect to have it dissected and questioned.

This isn't the "be nice to religionists" forum.
There are honest theists here who earn respect.

No one here is the arbiter of who gets to say what, even though they think that's their new job. Just don't fucking read it, or put people on ignore.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-01-2017, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 03:30 PM by Celestial_Wonder.)
(12-01-2017 03:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 03:13 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Who decides what is and isn't stupid? You? Well, that would certainly be convenient for your argument that mockery is reserved for stupidity.

You and A2 have generalized that mockery is the norm here. It is not.
Not every theist and not only theists who get mocked and it is a minority of forum members who do the mocking.
It is generally applied to those who are deluded, willfully ignorant, and/or liars.

Its not the amount of theists who get mocked, its the fact that any of us here feel the need to mock them in the first place.

(12-01-2017 03:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Seth started TTA as a community for non-believers, and *we* support(ed) it as such. If believers want to post their shit here, they can expect to have it dissected and questioned.

This isn't the "be nice to religionists" forum.
There are honest theists here who earn respect.

No one here is the arbiter of who gets to say what, even though they think that's their new job. Just don't fucking read it, or put people on ignore.

With respect vosur isn't just postulating being nice to the 'religionists' at least that isn't what I'm doing, can't really speak for him, but rather that there is no room for mocking or insulting others in what should be a civil debate. You shouldn't save civility for a specific place on the forum only going there on rare occasions, it should be something that is always with you. Because there is nothing to be gleaned from mocking someone. All mocking serves to do is make one feel better about themselves at the expense of someone else.
[+] 1 user Likes Celestial_Wonder's post
12-01-2017, 03:31 PM
(12-01-2017 03:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  Its not the amount of theists who get mocked, its the fact that any of us here feel the need to mock them in the first place.

To both CW and Vosur.

When the agenda of the poster is hidden poorly behind a so called "innocent character", that poster has earned mockery.

Vosur. You accuse others here of what you do in the politics section ALL the time.

If some xian comes here and is sincere, they'll get different treatment. I recognise sincerity the same as insincerity.

You may have noticed recently I've lost patience with even Shai. You know why? Not because I am mocking him, rather it is because I think he is too good to hold onto his belief system. He is above it.

That's actually respect. Frustrated respect, but respect nonetheless.

Now that you guys have managed to derail this thread and make it about how nasty atheists are, perhaps Vosur you can explain in detail the OP.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
12-01-2017, 03:41 PM
(12-01-2017 03:31 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 03:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  Its not the amount of theists who get mocked, its the fact that any of us here feel the need to mock them in the first place.

To both CW and Vosur.

When the agenda of the poster is hidden poorly behind a so called "innocent character", that poster has earned mockery.

Vosur. You accuse others here of what you do in the politics section ALL the time.

If some xian comes here and is sincere, they'll get different treatment. I recognise sincerity the same as insincerity.

You may have noticed recently I've lost patience with even Shai. You know why? Not because I am mocking him, rather it is because I think he is too good to hold onto his belief system. He is above it.

That's actually respect. Frustrated respect, but respect nonetheless.

Now that you guys have managed to derail this thread and make it about how nasty atheists are, perhaps Vosur you can explain in detail the OP.

If you wanted to get the thread back on topic with the original OP it would be best to do it yourself rather than placing that responsibility on someone else and expecting them to do it.

Also I don't think its been derailed to much, at the very core of the OP its about the psychology of atheists and theists. We're still discussing the psychology of atheists, just not in the same context as the OP.