Questioning The Intangible Versus Questioning the Tangible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2017, 03:43 PM
RE: Questioning The Intangible Versus Questioning the Tangible
(12-01-2017 03:41 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  If you wanted to get the thread back on topic with the original OP it would be best to do it yourself rather than placing that responsibility on someone else and expecting them to do it.

Also I don't think its been derailed to much, at the very core of the OP its about the psychology of atheists and theists. We're still discussing the psychology of atheists, just not in the same context as the OP.

For the third time.

I have told you that I do not understand the thread topic.

Perhaps Vosur does?

You are unable to explain it. Seems reasonable to ask Vosur due to his being so vocal in your favour.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
12-01-2017, 03:47 PM
(12-01-2017 03:22 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 03:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  You and A2 have generalized that mockery is the norm here. It is not.
Not every theist and not only theists who get mocked and it is a minority of forum members who do the mocking.
It is generally applied to those who are deluded, willfully ignorant, and/or liars.

Its not the amount of theists who get mocked, its the fact that any of us here feel the need to mock them in the first place.

How to utterly miss the point. Facepalm

It is not just theists who get mocked - it is the delusional and stupid who get mocked.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-01-2017, 04:01 PM
(12-01-2017 03:17 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 03:07 PM)Vosur Wrote:  It's clear enough that you're trying to downplay the gravity of his words.

It's clear enough that you try make your interpretation of Rahn words correct one.

Quote:How many theists do you think came to believe in God because of a personal experience?

I neither know nor I care.

Quote:I'd wager that number is high enough for your distinction between "all theists" and "all theists with an experience like hers" to be nothing more than nit-picking.

I don't care about that number. You think that your interpretation is correct one? That's fine and dandy. Just don't expect that everyone will agree.

Quote:You know that I think? I think that your cutesy attempt at mimicking my words didn't work out because you failed to take the context in which they were used into account and that you're trying to save face by pretending to be obtuse after I called you out on it. If you seriously expect me to believe that you just like to comment on the imagination of made-up people with imaginary opinions that just happen to be reading your post while we're debating, I have a bridge to sell you.

And I think you believe that my attempt at treating you with your own medicine failed. But there is no reason for which I should care about your beliefs. You're entitled to have them no matter how wrong or stupid they might be.

As for believing I expect that you will believe in narration that you already espouse. Bad atheists imply that no theists can be critical thinker.

Edit: I doubt that you will believe but these One must have very active imagination to think that these words imply that believers can't be critical thinkers words weren't directed at you. They served as prelude to these Active imagination is also required to think that these words are mocking and belittling. which most certainly were directed at you. My post looked different than one you quoted. You reordered quotes and I'm not really willing to give you benefit of doubt.
You're right, I don't believe you. This debate has become very tedious, so you'll have to excuse me for the time being.

--------------------------------------------

(12-01-2017 03:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  You and A2 have generalized that mockery is the norm here. It is not.
Not every theist and not only theists who get mocked and it is a minority of forum members who do the mocking.
It is generally applied to those who are deluded, willfully ignorant, and/or liars.
You're using different words, but the spirit of my question remains the same. Who decides that someone is deluded, willfully ignorant and/or a liar? The people who are doing the mocking?

I definitely didn't mean to imply that theists are the only ones who are subject to these attacks. There have been plenty of atheists over the years that were treated the same way.

(12-01-2017 03:31 PM)Banjo Wrote:  To both CW and Vosur.

When the agenda of the poster is hidden poorly behind a so called "innocent character", that poster has earned mockery.
(12-01-2017 03:31 PM)Banjo Wrote:  If some xian comes here and is sincere, they'll get different treatment. I recognise sincerity the same as insincerity.
Those criteria sound no less arbitrary to me than the ones that Chas has chosen to decide whether or not someone is deserving of mockery.

(12-01-2017 03:31 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Vosur. You accuse others here of what you do in the politics section ALL the time.
If your intention was to paint me as some sort of hypocrite, I would remind you of the following post I made earlier on in this thread (emphasis mine):

(11-01-2017 02:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  If my experience on this forum has taught me anything, it's that mocking or insulting people in a debate eliminates any chance swaying their mind because it puts them on the defensive and makes it humiliating for them to concede errors or defeat. You know that I'm plenty guilty of doing this myself in the past, but I do recognize the problem and try to avoid it as much as possible. I slip up sometimes, but I have yet to meet someone who didn't accept a sincere apology afterwards. To be honest, I don't see why we shouldn't strive to have the same high quality discourse that takes places in the Boxing Ring section in the rest of the forum, even absent any interference from the moderators. I personally think it would be a much more productive use of everyone's time.

(12-01-2017 03:31 PM)Banjo Wrote:  You may have noticed recently I've lost patience with even Shai. You know why? Not because I am mocking him, rather it is because I think he is too good to hold onto his belief system. He is above it.

That's actually respect. Frustrated respect, but respect nonetheless.

Now that you guys have managed to derail this thread and make it about how nasty atheists are, perhaps Vosur you can explain in detail the OP.
You'll have to ask OP if you want a detailed explanation of his post. I can't speak on his behalf and I never commented on it. Also, I don't think that that nasty behavior is limited to atheists.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
12-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Vosur. Very simple question.

Are you able to explain the OP?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
12-01-2017, 04:10 PM
(12-01-2017 04:01 PM)Vosur Wrote:  You're right, I don't believe you.

I could say that it pains me but there is no reason for lying. As I said everyone is entitled to their beliefs no matter how stupid they are.

Quote:This debate has become very tedious, so you'll have to excuse me for the time being.

There was no debate just your baseless accusations and trying to force your interpretation of Rahn words. And I excuse you for very long time, you aren't so interesting as you may think you are.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
12-01-2017, 04:15 PM
(12-01-2017 04:10 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 04:01 PM)Vosur Wrote:  You're right, I don't believe you.

I could say that it pains me but there is no reason for lying. As I said everyone is entitled to their beliefs no matter how stupid they are.

Quote:This debate has become very tedious, so you'll have to excuse me for the time being.

There was no debate just your baseless accusations and trying to force your interpretation of Rahn words. And I excuse you for very long time, you aren't so interesting as you may think you are.

Agreed.

Banjo.
12-01-2017, 04:17 PM
(12-01-2017 04:15 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 04:10 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I could say that it pains me but there is no reason for lying. As I said everyone is entitled to their beliefs no matter how stupid they are.

Agreed.

It's nice to hear voice of reason Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
12-01-2017, 04:23 PM
It is a very deep and thunderous voice. Wink

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
12-01-2017, 04:24 PM
(12-01-2017 04:23 PM)Banjo Wrote:  It is a very deep and thunderous voice. Wink

Indeed.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
12-01-2017, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 04:55 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-01-2017 03:54 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  To be so opposed to the very notion that you chase away all those who come to you wanting to share with you their discovery just as you might try and share with theists your 'discovery' about god?

Chase them away? Where you been? We enjoy them.

(07-02-2015 07:19 AM)psikeyhackr Wrote:  It is so curious that people who want to wave books in your face don't just build models and demonstrate the physics.

You MUST believe what I say because I claim to understand what is in this book. The trouble is that 9/11 makes all of the engineering schools look silly because they don't dispose of such a simple problem.

Talk is cheap, call me whatever you want. Engineering schools can't build a north tower collapse model in THIRTEEN YEARS!!!

But psikey can do it using only washers, a stick and paper rings. All things that MIT does not have access to. Thumbsup

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post