Questioning Veridicanism...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Questioning Veridicanism...
I checked out Gordon'S website and got referred back to TTA.
I did come across 'everyone needs to make up their own religion'
.......shades of girlieman?, and not an unreasonable notion.
It appears that Gordon's new religion is bases on his interpretation of the gospels. along with the denounced writings of Thomas.

As the OP has not asked all that many pertinent questions as to the actual methodology of the new faith I have come up with some questions.

(1) Do you hold that God is perfect, good, all powerful, omniscient,omnipresent,simply for us or is universally such?

(2) Marcion, an early church father taught that Jesus was the real God, not the son of Jehovah,who he held to be an amateur. Is this your position?

(3) You mention the physical destruction of Islam. Do you hold this as a precursor to imminent end time?

(4) Do you hold to a trinity notion or similar?

(5) Have you ever pondered as to why God has chosen you, and come up with any answers.

(6) Jesus seems to have pushed pacifism in the main. How far, if at all, do you value this line of thought?

(7) Reincarnation was an early Christian belief (refer Jesus's remarks to John the Baptist) till it became anthema. Your position?

(8) When Jesus cast Legion's devils into the soon to be drowned pigs, I thought it was simply a Jewish thing. Do you have the real reason?

(9) Hell is a thorny subject' what with some devout Christians believing they will be entertained watching the eternally suffering writhe in agony. Is this your position?

(10)Jesus said not to caste your pearl before swine, along with shaking off the dust from non believers homes..........Are you breaking those directives?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
16-12-2014, 03:11 PM
RE: Questioning Veridicanism...
I only have one question in regards to Veridicanism:

WTF?

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
16-12-2014, 03:16 PM
I think it should be spelled Verydickism.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
16-12-2014, 03:17 PM
(16-12-2014 03:11 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I only have one question in regards to Veridicanism:

WTF?

You win the internet.Bowing

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
16-12-2014, 03:28 PM
If people come up with serious questions Gordon just might endeavour to answer in kind. Irrespective of the ambiguous content of his writings thus far the subject matter per se is of philosophical interest.
Who knows he may have deeper insights yet to be expounded.
16-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Did we really need a thread dedicated to this?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-12-2014, 03:30 PM
(16-12-2014 03:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Did we really need a thread dedicated to this?

Well it is the philosophy section! Close it if you wish; it's your call!
16-12-2014, 07:07 PM
(16-12-2014 03:28 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  If people come up with serious questions Gordon just might endeavour to answer in kind. Irrespective of the ambiguous content of his writings thus far the subject matter per se is of philosophical interest.

Have you seen his old post? #6

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ck-in-here

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
16-12-2014, 07:24 PM
(16-12-2014 07:07 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(16-12-2014 03:28 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  If people come up with serious questions Gordon just might endeavour to answer in kind. Irrespective of the ambiguous content of his writings thus far, the subject matter per se is of philosophical interest.

Have you seen his old post? #6

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ck-in-here
Thanks!
Will check it out.
Perhaps this post should be transferred to the thread of major interest.
I just wanted to see how he addressed the issues I raised purely from a philosophical position.Angel
16-12-2014, 07:43 PM
(16-12-2014 03:01 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  (6) Jesus seems to have pushed pacifism in the main.
Actually, I cannot be sure if this point is correct, but it is one to which I have devoted considerable thought. Of course we will never know the truth, 2000 years of "crafting the message" or as I like to say "religious spin doctoring" would be enough to cast the message in any form they like. (also, given the number of Christians in this country my opinion outweighed by about 25,000,000 to one.)

So here is a thought on pacifism for you. We are told that Jesus said we should "turn the other cheek". For roughly 100 generations we have been told this means that if someone hurts us we should ask politely if they would like to hurt us again. Now if I wanted to control the masses and make them docile this is exactly what I would tell them also. But there is another way to interpret this phrase that the church never discusses.

Imagine a cowboy movie where John Wayne is sitting in a barroom and some young punk comes up slaps him. John stands up, looks the punk in the eye, and says "You wanna do that again?" John has just offered his other cheek, but not in some weak pacifistic sense of the word. His actions say "I haven't beaten you down because I think maybe you made a mistake and you won't do it again". There is some real forgiveness going on in his actions but not from weakness, It comes from a place of strength.

I think turning the other cheek is a warning. It means "I forgave you once, don't do it again". Of course the only church that I could start with that interpretation is the Church of Rambo, Or maybe The Divine Ascension of the Expendables. But that probably won't happen. After all, my opinion is outnumbered by twenty-five million to one.