Questions???

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
07-02-2014, 01:23 AM
RE: Questions???
(06-02-2014 10:49 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 10:16 PM)natachan Wrote:  Do you believe in things that are demonstrably false

yes Laughat

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
07-02-2014, 07:09 AM
(07-02-2014 01:17 AM)natachan Wrote:  It occurs to me that I have my answer. You and I have no grounds to proceed because you admit to believing things which are known to be false. I can't. I am unable to live with the cognitive dissonance. You are able to take the bible and believe it because you believe it to be a true account of the real world. I know that it's not, and so I cannot believe.

You have also by your posts on the church and women shown yourself to be either a liar, a misogynist, or both and I would be well advised to stay clear of you.

600 years ago the world was "known" to be flat. Till one day when it wasn't. People were ridiculed for thinking otherwise.

So what changed?

Did the planet suddenly change shape?
-or
Was what was "known to be true" simply wrong?

Your question was not about my ability to discern truth. Your question was about my ability to accept popular thought.

Those who would have answered no to your question are the same type of people who 600 years ago would have thought the earth to be flat, and been happy in their ignorance. Discovery is left to those who can look at what is thought to be truth and venture past it.

In this case, I did this very thing and I found God, or He found me.
07-02-2014, 07:17 AM
(07-02-2014 07:09 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 01:17 AM)natachan Wrote:  It occurs to me that I have my answer. You and I have no grounds to proceed because you admit to believing things which are known to be false. I can't. I am unable to live with the cognitive dissonance. You are able to take the bible and believe it because you believe it to be a true account of the real world. I know that it's not, and so I cannot believe.

You have also by your posts on the church and women shown yourself to be either a liar, a misogynist, or both and I would be well advised to stay clear of you.

600 years ago the world was "known" to be flat. Till one day when it wasn't. People were ridiculed for thinking otherwise.

So what changed?

Did the planet suddenly change shape?
-or
Was what was "known to be true" simply wrong?

Your question was not about my ability to discern truth. Your question was about my ability to accept popular thought.

Those who would have answered no to your question are the same type of people who 600 years ago would have thought the earth to be flat, and been happy in their ignorance. Discovery is left to those who can look at what is thought to be truth and venture past it.

In this case, I did this very thing and I found God, or He found me.

Fucking hell. Why do you Christians pull this deflection bullshit!? ... I know you are but what am I? I know you are but what am I?

I'm certain you're fully aware of who 'those people' who clung to a flat earth idea were. AND what they DID to people who disagreed! You've got more spin than a politicians sex life and are hugely disingenuous. ... it's interesting how Christians use arguments and metaphors of their own transgressions and imply it's being done to them. You are a fucking scam artist.

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
07-02-2014, 07:29 AM
(07-02-2014 07:09 AM)Drich Wrote:  Discovery is left to those who can look at what is thought to be truth and venture past it.

When you say 'Discovery is left to those who can look at what is thought to be truth and venture past it.' you mean you always take a contrarian position no matter what is commonly believed?

It would help if there was some kind of established generic method we could rely upon.

I don't know, some kind of process that consisted of observing, formulating hypotheses, testing those hypotheses, formulating theories, testing those theories with further observations.

Of course, a generic process which could look at what is 'thought to be truth and venture past it' would require testing absolutely every underlying assumption, looking for evidence and importantly, discarding commonly held beliefs for which there is a lack of evidence.

After all, we cannot assume to know in advance what is and isn't true. If only there was some kind of established method for doing this.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
07-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Sleepy Epi...cu..rus...

Come on you bastard. You said you can answer Epicurus. I thought of a new answer for Epicurus by the way, maybe God's a nice guy but just unbelievably incompetent.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-02-2014, 07:45 AM
(07-02-2014 07:09 AM)Drich Wrote:  In this case, I did this very thing and I found God, or He found me.

Actually the "popular" view is that there is a deity. YOU are the flat earther.
You got the analogy precisely backwards.

For thousands of years, ignorant humans have been using deities as explanations for things which science has now explained. Your "theological" explanation for what was a set of entirely chemical events in your brain, is the false position here.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-02-2014, 07:51 AM
(07-02-2014 07:45 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 07:09 AM)Drich Wrote:  In this case, I did this very thing and I found God, or He found me.

Actually the "popular" view is that there is a deity. YOU are the flat earther.

It's also gone 180 degrees. The round-worlders are now the flat-earthers and the flat-earthers are the ones who who can look at what is thought to be truth and venture past it.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/
07-02-2014, 07:52 AM
(07-02-2014 07:09 AM)Drich Wrote:  600 years ago the world was "known" to be flat.

That's just not true.
07-02-2014, 08:02 AM
(07-02-2014 07:29 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  When you say 'Discovery is left to those who can look at what is thought to be truth and venture past it.' you mean you always take a contrarian position no matter what is commonly believed?
No. I mean to point to those not satasified with what is commonly known or accepted to define the limits of what they know or believe. These people are the ones destined for discovery.

Quote:It would help if there was some kind of established generic method we could rely upon.
God has provided one.

Quote:I don't know, some kind of process that consisted of observing, formulating hypotheses, testing those hypotheses, formulating theories, testing those theories with further observations.
So in order for you to believe in an ALL Powerful, ALL Knowing God, He has to fit inside your little box of understanding??? And you do not see a problem with this?

Quote:Of course, a generic process which could look at what is 'thought to be truth and venture past it' would require testing absolutely every underlying assumption, looking for evidence and importantly, discarding commonly held beliefs for which there is a lack of evidence.
Your process is designed to study the static, the dead, the patterned things of this world. God is Alive, what's more, and boundless. where do you suppose you think you and your 'method' would start? Wouldn't it make sense to start where God says to look for Him?
07-02-2014, 08:03 AM
(07-02-2014 07:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Sleepy Epi...cu..rus...

Come on you bastard. You said you can answer Epicurus. I thought of a new answer for Epicurus by the way, maybe God's a nice guy but just unbelievably incompetent.

goto AF dot org there is 20 pages of material there. I'm busy at the moment.