Questions???

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
09-02-2014, 07:38 AM
RE: Questions???
(09-02-2014 12:53 AM)Drich Wrote:  The adults are talking now.

About your delusions. Cool, I'll wait Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2014, 08:08 AM
(09-02-2014 12:53 AM)Drich Wrote:  [quote='morondog' pid='488280' dateline='1391805034']

The adults are talking now.

Where?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
09-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Like to address one or two things that were either blatantly false or just hilarious.

Quote:Again nothing changes. The common man did not have the scripture for 1800 years or so, The Holy Spirit filled the gaps.

The Gutenberg bible was one of the first books put out via the printing press in the 1450's. when Henry VII founded the Church of England one of the changes he made was to put the scriptures in English.

Quote:We don't know what they knew, because everything of that culture is subject to commitiy vote and interpretation.

1) committee

2) Really? History is now dependent on popular opinion and vote? Then I put this up for popular vote as history: George Washington was 9 feet tall, crossed the Delaware on the Titanic, and when his time here was done rode a golden chariot pulled by four white horses to the island of Avalon where he waits with King Arthur until we need him again.

Quote:The bible says we are slaves to sin with only one real choice to make. To seek redemption or not. free will is Never mentioned.

If this is a choice we can make we have free will.

Quote:That's what the darkages was all about. Suppressing the God's word, and grabbing power.

Wrong. The dark ages were some of the most religious times in history. The literature of the time (the ones I've read) has very strong religious themes. The dark ages are called that due to the repression and loss of science.

Quote:Ahh, no. I never said that and if you were reading what i have been writting you would have noticed that I keep point to the holy Spirit first and only us the bible as a way to confirm what your getting is indeed from the H/S.
Quote:The Holy Spirit of God. The deity of God that wrote the bible
Quote: the bible has not changed concerning it predictions and prophecies.

This is so funny it needs no comment.

Quote:The proof to that statement is that not all cultures view punching people as being wrong. Some cultures view it as making one tough or they even subject boys joining manhood with savage beatings.

Actually morality is pretty uniform across cultures and religions.
09-02-2014, 01:08 PM
(09-02-2014 11:44 AM)natachan Wrote:  Like to address one or two things that were either blatantly false or just
Smile I guess everyone can't be expected to read everything if it is not their thread. However one does expect that if your going to 'correct' someone you'd at least check your facts first.

Quote:The Gutenberg bible was one of the first books put out via the printing press in the 1450's. when Henry VII founded the Church of England one of the changes he made was to put the scriptures in English.
as I have already pointed out the Gutenberg bible was printed in 1450. But it was printed in Latin/vulgate not in English. The next non Latin bible was then printed in Greek per the efforts of the reformation this was in 1520.

William tynsdale was the first to print a n/t in English in 1525, and he had to run for his life while doing it, because of fears of reprisals from the Church of England.
How do I know this? The same way you should have because in post 28 I posted the history of the English bible. Or you should have looked it up before speaking.
http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-englis...index.html

Quote:1) committee

2) Really? History is now dependent on popular opinion and vote?
it is common knowledge that the victors write history. The victors of the Peruvian people were from Spain. They decided to destroy all of the records these people kept. What is left are just scraps. As such it takes a COMMITTEE to decide or try and figure out who these people were.

Quote:Then I put this up for popular vote as history: George Washington was 9 feet tall, crossed the Delaware on the Titanic, and when his time here was done rode a golden chariot pulled by four white horses to the island of Avalon where he waits with King Arthur until we need him again.
it must be embarrassing to know how to spell a word, but learn of its meaning from someone who can't.Smile

Quote:The bible says we are slaves to sin with only one real choice to make. To seek redemption or not. free will is Never mentioned.

Quote:If this is a choice we can make we have free will.
Consider so your saying slaves have free will? If this is the case then what was the big deal? Why was their a war fought over it?

Quote:Wrong. The dark ages were some of the most religious times in history. :consider:The literature of the time (the ones I've read) has very strong religious themes. The dark ages are called that due to the repression and loss of science.
oh, bother. Religion does not mean biblical Christianity. As per the artical I linked to the whole reformation movement was based on the perversion the Latin versions incorporated to change the bible.
This allow for complete control of the church and a massive power grab.

Quote:This is so funny it needs no comment.
..... ( did you get it?)

Quote:Actually morality is pretty uniform across cultures and religions.
ahh, no.
Do you not know what a jihad is? This is not only moral for a devout old school Muslim it is a requirement.
Do you know what seppuku is?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku
Consider
Tell me how this honorable practice is accepted in other religions.
Especially catholism.
These are not obscure practices that happened 1000s of years ago. there are people alive today who have witness and taken part in these practices.

I could go on, but I believe I have adequately defended my position. My intent was not focused on just making you look like a fool. (That was all bonusTongue) my efforts were to place you under the same level of scrutiny you placed me and my work. If in the future you do not see my meaning then I invite you to ask a question or make sure you do your due dillegence first. Otherwise I will have a go at you where your 'work' is less than.. Accurate.
09-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Hmm. I made a goof. Oh well. Your statement that the people didn't have the bible for 1800 years is still wrong.

Quote:it is common knowledge that the victors write history. The victors of the Peruvian people were from Spain. They decided to destroy all of the records these people kept. What is left are just scraps. As such it takes a COMMITTEE to decide or try and figure out who these people were.

No it doesn't. It takes archeology and an objective study of facts. The accepted position might be determined by consensus, but that doesn't alter the fact of who they were.

Quote:oh, bother. Religion does not mean biblical Christianity. As per the artical I linked to the whole reformation movement was based on the perversion the Latin versions incorporated to change the bible.
This allow for complete control of the church and a massive power grab.

This is absolute and utter nonsense. Essentially you are saying that you have some divine insight they didn't. You're right and they're wrong because you say so.

As to morality, secular morality is pretty uniform. Religious dogma is not, but the general guidelines for what is ethical behavior is generally consistant between cultures.
09-02-2014, 03:16 PM
(09-02-2014 03:00 PM)natachan Wrote:  Hmm. I made a goof. Oh well. Your statement that the people didn't have the bible for 1800 years is still wrong.
Still not what I said sport. this is what is knows as a strawman. I said the COMMON Man did not have access to the bible for 1800 years. Google the printing methods used, then google the literacy rates up to the 1800s. Because whether or not the common man could physically touch a bible or not he still did not have access to it it he could not read it even if the type settings were in English.

Quote:it is common knowledge that the victors write history. The victors of the Peruvian people were from Spain. They decided to destroy all of the records these people kept. What is left are just scraps. As such it takes a COMMITTEE to decide or try and figure out who these people were.

Quote:No it doesn't. It takes archeology and an objective study of facts.
Whom? One man or a panel eg a Commitee?

Quote:The accepted position might be determined by consensus, but that doesn't alter the fact of who they were.
seriously? are you still in highschool?
If it takes a panel of experts to try and guess who these people are by what little they can find...... Do you see where I am going with this yet?

Quote:This is absolute and utter nonsense. Essentially you are saying that you have some divine insight they didn't. You're right and they're wrong because you say so.
YES! That Is exactly what I am saying!!! We/I have a bible based off the orginal/available greek texts. The church of the darkkages may have had one latin vulgate bible who contents were so badly translated/changed it no longer reflected the orginal gospel. taken from the link I provided you one or two posts back:
In the 1490’s another Oxford professor, and the personal physician to King Henry the 7th and 8th, Thomas Linacre, decided to learn Greek. After reading the Gospels in Greek, and comparing it to the Latin Vulgate, he wrote in his diary, “Either this (the original Greek) is not the Gospel… or we are not Christians.” The Latin had become so corrupt that it no longer even preserved the message of the Gospel… yet the Church still threatened to kill anyone who read the scripture in any language other than Latin… though Latin was not an original language of the scriptures.

Quote:As to morality, secular morality is pretty uniform. Religious dogma is not, but the general guidelines for what is ethical behavior is generally consistant between cultures.
absolutely not true. at least outside what is identified as western culture. eastern atheists as well as south east Asian cultures have a very different view of what is morally correct.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
09-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Quote:seriously? are you still in highschool?
If it takes a panel of experts to try and guess who these people are by what little they can find...... Do you see where I am going with this yet?

I hold a minor in archeology and classical studies. This is the point: objective reality is not determined by consensus. Interpretation is open to debate, facts aren't.
09-02-2014, 04:10 PM
[Image: tumblr_m5m7x0OCOc1rybqhio1_500.gif]

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
09-02-2014, 07:16 PM
@Drich, I was going to go through your response at post #128 and respond point by point, but I figured it would likely just be a waste of time.

Drich, I don't want to be mean, but you are the type of person that gives believers in a higher power a bad name. You know the answer and just change your arguments to suit that answer. You contradict yourself, ignore important points and questions, and use circular logic.

You tell me that the only way I can find God is through the spirit, and if I want to develop a relationship with the spirit then I need to a/s/k. I tell you that I did a/s/k and was a Christian for most of my life, and you tell me that the spirit didn't talk to me because I didn't have all the right beliefs of Christianity. So, he gifted me by not responding, allowing me to reject my current Christian beliefs and giving me the chance to find new ones. But, then you tell me that I can't learn anything about God, except through the spirit. You know, the spirit, that didn't respond to me when I was a/s/k'ing for 25 years or so. Your solution for me is to just keep the faith and keep a/s/k'ing, because he'll answer me eventually. Seriously?! How does all of that seem consistent to you? Did you just figure out the right way to a/s/k and I didn't?

Your problem is that you refuse to question your beliefs. You can't look at your religion from an outsider's eyes. No one outside your religion is going to accept anything based on your word that the Holy Spirit told you so, or the Bible told you so. If you ever want to convince anyone here that your point of view has any merit, you are going to have to argue on their terms (ie. based on logic and reason, and based on facts outside of the Spirit and the Bible). If you can't do that, you might want to re-think whether your beliefs are worth holding in the first place. And, even if you think they are, you should still avoid going on atheist forums and trying to convince people the way you do, because all you accomplish is re-enforcing the negative views that people on this page have towards Christianity in the first place.
[+] 2 users Like lookingforanswers's post
09-02-2014, 07:34 PM
(09-02-2014 07:16 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  You tell me that the only way I can find God is through the spirit, and if I want to develop a relationship with the spirit then I need to a/s/k. I tell you that I did a/s/k and was a Christian for most of my life, and you tell me that the spirit didn't talk to me because I didn't have all the right beliefs of Christianity. So, he gifted me by not responding, allowing me to reject my current Christian beliefs and giving me the chance to find new ones. But, then you tell me that I can't learn anything about God, except through the spirit. You know, the spirit, that didn't respond to me when I was a/s/k'ing for 25 years or so. Your solution for me is to just keep the faith and keep a/s/k'ing, because he'll answer me eventually. Seriously?! How does all of that seem consistent to you? Did you just figure out the right way to a/s/k and I didn't?

Of course.

No True Scotsman would get that kind of result.

That is literally all he has to argue.

... this is my signature!