Questions!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2017, 10:58 AM
RE: Questions!
(28-03-2017 10:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 10:52 AM)Emma Wrote:  I remember that thread too. Big Grin

Who was that other Christian guy that was around back then, too? His name began with an E or something and he was kind of a bully. I'll have to look him up. Laugh out load

Egor Laugh out load He was a certified fruitcake. Had a lil' bromance with KC for a while during one of his lucid episodes IIRC.

Egor, that's it!!! Oh man, we had so many battles with him. Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2017, 10:58 AM
(28-03-2017 10:44 AM)adey67 Wrote:  You never know she may yet return given the previous time gap between her posts, however if she has any sense maybe not, she may finally have realised this isn't going to be the cake walk she perhaps thought it would be. Overconfidence is a real clusterfuck bro.
She may well subjectively feel very good about her beliefs and simply wishes to share them with a world that she imagines is hungry for, and open to, the "answers" she has "found". I don't know that she has to be completely devastated but on the other hand, just coming in a place like this and setting up shop reflects, if not the arrogance of the believer, at least the arrogance of the belief system.

I have given up trying to finesse some sort of genteel interchange with believers, there are too many of us who are fed up with their bullshit and too many of them who are filled up with themselves. I used to despise "new atheism" for its reactionary tone but after a couple decades of trying to talk sense to theists, I now understand that some people's patience is at an end, and that's both okay and understandable.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
28-03-2017, 11:22 AM
(28-03-2017 10:58 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 10:44 AM)adey67 Wrote:  You never know she may yet return given the previous time gap between her posts, however if she has any sense maybe not, she may finally have realised this isn't going to be the cake walk she perhaps thought it would be. Overconfidence is a real clusterfuck bro.
She may well subjectively feel very good about her beliefs and simply wishes to share them with a world that she imagines is hungry for, and open to, the "answers" she has "found". I don't know that she has to be completely devastated but on the other hand, just coming in a place like this and setting up shop reflects, if not the arrogance of the believer, at least the arrogance of the belief system.

I have given up trying to finesse some sort of genteel interchange with believers, there are too many of us who are fed up with their bullshit and too many of them who are filled up with themselves. I used to despise "new atheism" for its reactionary tone but after a couple decades of trying to talk sense to theists, I now understand that some people's patience is at an end, and that's both okay and understandable.

I hear you bro, I love it when the fuckers say we are all angry and/or traumatized I'm neither I just don't like bullshit and lies which insult even my limited intelligence.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
28-03-2017, 11:44 AM
(28-03-2017 10:58 AM)mordant Wrote:  She may well subjectively feel very good about her beliefs and simply wishes to share them with a world that she imagines is hungry for, and open to, the "answers" she has "found". I don't know that she has to be completely devastated but on the other hand, just coming in a place like this and setting up shop reflects, if not the arrogance of the believer, at least the arrogance of the belief system.

So true! She may well just be here to share her "answers," but jumping in feet first into a group of people you clearly know nothing about shows a certain level of arrogance that isn't very flattering.

(28-03-2017 10:58 AM)mordant Wrote:  I have given up trying to finesse some sort of genteel interchange with believers, there are too many of us who are fed up with their bullshit and too many of them who are filled up with themselves. I used to despise "new atheism" for its reactionary tone but after a couple decades of trying to talk sense to theists, I now understand that some people's patience is at an end, and that's both okay and understandable.

One thing I've noticed is that very often, the default assumption is that all theists must want to convert potential followers. I've found myself explaining over and over that my religious beliefs do not call for anyone's conversion, and that we in fact take strides to discourage conversion. But when people who don't yet know me learn that I'm a theist, very often their knee-jerk reaction is to put up their defenses against the proselytization efforts they're sure I'm going to launch against them.

Theists who come here, whether there here to sell their religions or not, must appreciate that this is the perception and they must deal with the reality of the situation if they're to have productive conversations.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
28-03-2017, 12:43 PM
(28-03-2017 11:44 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 10:58 AM)mordant Wrote:  I have given up trying to finesse some sort of genteel interchange with believers, there are too many of us who are fed up with their bullshit and too many of them who are filled up with themselves. I used to despise "new atheism" for its reactionary tone but after a couple decades of trying to talk sense to theists, I now understand that some people's patience is at an end, and that's both okay and understandable.
One thing I've noticed is that very often, the default assumption is that all theists must want to convert potential followers. I've found myself explaining over and over that my religious beliefs do not call for anyone's conversion, and that we in fact take strides to discourage conversion. But when people who don't yet know me learn that I'm a theist, very often their knee-jerk reaction is to put up their defenses against the proselytization efforts they're sure I'm going to launch against them.

Theists who come here, whether there here to sell their religions or not, must appreciate that this is the perception and they must deal with the reality of the situation if they're to have productive conversations.
I must admit that, coming from a fundamentalist background, and dealing mostly with fundamentalist apologists in settings like this, it's rather hard to remember that the occasional liberal Christian is generally at least provisionally willing to admit that their privately held beliefs are binding on them and on no one else. Sometimes they even admit it is just religious faith and they have no evidence.

Although even with those, you sometimes cross a line, as far as they're concerned, when you fail to "respect" their belief in the deity. "Respect" is usually in some PC sense of affirming their belief as valid or justified, which I can't agree is true, even for them. I don't care what they believe and won't tell them what to believe and affirm their freedom to believe what they want. But I can't agree that they have substantiated or justified what they believe in some objective sense that all comers can / should / would accept even provisionally. Even though this is true only in the special circumstance of debate in a forum like this and even though I would not demand that they justify their beliefs in any way in real life, I've met a few liberal Christians who can't handle that I am not convinced by their arguments for the existence or necessity of their god. It's almost like they want me to support a tacit belief on their part that I'm just holding to atheism because it pleases me, not because I'm rationally convinced of it.

I have also run across pagans and pan(en)theists who can't handle my unwillingness to accept their redefinition of words to deify the universe or consciousness or reality.

There is, even among more liberal thinkers, a tendency sometimes to demand that one defer, if not bow down to, their idols of choice, and avoid saying that you find their beliefs inconsistent, unsubstantiated or the like. It's as if they're used to some kind of faux gentility that you sometimes encounter in academia. "Kudos to your magnificence dear sir, if I may ask you to clarify ..." is not something I can prefix every question with. Sometimes, it's just, "sorry, I don't see it that way, and we have to agree to disagree".
[+] 6 users Like mordant's post
28-03-2017, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2017 01:11 PM by Vera.)
(28-03-2017 10:58 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 10:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  Egor Laugh out load He was a certified fruitcake. Had a lil' bromance with KC for a while during one of his lucid episodes IIRC.

Egor, that's it!!! Oh man, we had so many battles with him. Evil_monster

Don't mention the Egor, you might summon him back from the braindead! Gasp

[Image: 1m9f6s.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
28-03-2017, 01:29 PM
(28-03-2017 11:22 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I love it when the fuckers say we are all angry and/or traumatized...

I see it as projection on their part. I imagine them coming here and reacting with shock and abject horror as their magical, sacred words fall on stony ground, then getting angry with us for not believing them.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post
28-03-2017, 01:42 PM
(28-03-2017 01:07 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 10:58 AM)Emma Wrote:  Egor, that's it!!! Oh man, we had so many battles with him. Evil_monster

Don't mention the Egor, you might summon him back from the braindead! Gasp

[Image: 1m9f6s.jpg]

I still remember that argument and think about it every once in a while for a good laugh. Laugh out load

Sentient paramecia domg Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
28-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Well, that was pretty pathetic. Only answered a handful of questions then bailed. The thread is literally titled "Questions!'. Grow a backbone, for fuck's sake.
28-03-2017, 01:57 PM
(28-03-2017 01:54 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Well, that was pretty pathetic. Only answered a handful of questions then bailed. The thread is literally titled "Questions!'. Grow a backbone, for fuck's sake.

Research has indicated that it's possible she may have a life outside the forum Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post