Questions!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2017, 10:15 AM
RE: Questions!
(29-03-2017 09:43 AM)mordant Wrote:  I would have preferred to have my expectations set much better than to assume there is some form of built-in justice in the unfolding of my personal life, or that intentions matter whether they are correct or not.

It is an interesting question how much this assumption permiates popular culture, especially movies with happy endings.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
29-03-2017, 10:28 AM
(29-03-2017 10:15 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(29-03-2017 09:43 AM)mordant Wrote:  I would have preferred to have my expectations set much better than to assume there is some form of built-in justice in the unfolding of my personal life, or that intentions matter whether they are correct or not.

It is an interesting question how much this assumption permiates popular culture, especially movies with happy endings.

It's called just world hypothesis I think. Not looking at the data I would say that it is pretty widespread thing touching even so horrifying subjects as rape - one can hear things like she was dressed provocatively, where underlying assumption is that if she were good as in dressed demurely she wouldn't be hurt.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
29-03-2017, 12:45 PM
(29-03-2017 10:28 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It's called just world hypothesis I think. Not looking at the data I would say that it is pretty widespread thing touching even so horrifying subjects as rape - one can hear things like she was dressed provocatively, where underlying assumption is that if she were good as in dressed demurely she wouldn't be hurt.
I think it is just an extension of the human tendency to try to "make sense" of things. One's life doesn't "make sense" if outcomes don't match efforts and intentions sufficiently. One way to make sense and to motivate yourself to "dust yourself off, pick yourself up, and start all over again" is to assure yourself of this cause-and-effect relationship, provided you persist in it long enough / consistently enough and believe in it enough. If you insert an intelligent controlling agency into the picture like the Abrahamic god to potentially tip the scales in your favor, so much the better. Another way to handle it is to defer closure / justice / reward into the afterlife.

People are so accustomed to this that they don't even know how to function without it, so yes, it is ubiquitous.

What I have personally discovered is that once you let go of the sense that you're entitled to certain outcomes in life, while you loose the (false) comfort that everything makes sense and you have to adjust to a more absurdist view of things, you also take life far less personally once you realize it's not all about you. You feel less picked on, less put upon, less short-changed. And really, less entitled.

Eventually it's more peaceful and makes more sense than trying to force-fit reality to the "Just World Hypothesis", but it's hard to convince someone who believes that life makes sense, that it's actually in a twisted, non-intuitive way, better to just understand that it's all crazy bullshit all the time.
[+] 6 users Like mordant's post
29-03-2017, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2017 01:45 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(29-03-2017 12:45 PM)mordant Wrote:  What I have personally discovered is that once you let go of the sense that you're entitled to certain outcomes in life, while you loose the (false) comfort that everything makes sense and you have to adjust to a more absurdist view of things, you also take life far less personally once you realize it's not all about you.

Quite a bit of injustice is actually created by people who believe life should be just to them. If life isn't, they look for others to blame whether those others had anything to do with it or not.

They think people are to blame for all "evils", so if they can't blame themselves, they blame others.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
29-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Hi,

I'm back, but this will be my last post. I want to apologize for offending anyone or giving anyone the impression that I was arrogant or overconfident. That was not my intention. I'm sorry if any of you think that I made this post because I wanted to judge or convert anyone. Yes, Christians are supposed to evangelize, but that is not what I came here to do. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of responses I've received. I feel bad about starting this thread in the first place. You are right when you say that I wasn't prepared for this kind of attention. I am sorry for wasting your time with this thread, because I can see that it has not accomplished anything.

Thank you for participating in this thread if you did. I appreciate your responses and I apologize for not being able to reply.

Thank you,
Alyssa
[+] 6 users Like alyssa2017's post
29-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Quote:What if parents believe that it is right thing to do - to teach their children to live according to their religion? What should they do?

I'd say they should do 3-5 in the State Penitentiary for child abuse in the first degree.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
29-03-2017, 05:22 PM
(29-03-2017 04:35 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  Hi,

I'm back, but this will be my last post. I want to apologize for offending anyone or giving anyone the impression that I was arrogant or overconfident. That was not my intention. I'm sorry if any of you think that I made this post because I wanted to judge or convert anyone. Yes, Christians are supposed to evangelize, but that is not what I came here to do. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of responses I've received. I feel bad about starting this thread in the first place. You are right when you say that I wasn't prepared for this kind of attention. I am sorry for wasting your time with this thread, because I can see that it has not accomplished anything.

Thank you for participating in this thread if you did. I appreciate your responses and I apologize for not being able to reply.

Thank you,
Alyssa

What was your intent or goal for posting? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
29-03-2017, 05:23 PM
(29-03-2017 04:35 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  I'm back, but this will be my last post. I want to apologize for offending anyone or giving anyone the impression that I was arrogant or overconfident. That was not my intention. I'm sorry if any of you think that I made this post because I wanted to judge or convert anyone.

The best thing you could do to change any mistaken impressions would be to stick around and actually engage. As it stands the impression I have is that you thought you'd help out us poor, misguided atheists and you quickly realized that you couldn't answer any of the questions we asked. If so, I hope you reflect on why you don't have any answers.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
29-03-2017, 05:24 PM
(29-03-2017 05:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-03-2017 04:35 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  Hi,

Thank you,
Alyssa

What was your intent or goal for posting? Consider

> I was about to ask the same question. Consider
29-03-2017, 05:31 PM
(29-03-2017 06:29 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(29-03-2017 02:55 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Teaching children is a lot like going to university:

Its not about programming someone with a certian amount of data, although thats what (too) many people think.

Its about learning how to learn. Its about the ability to aquire any know how in the future by yourself

QFT Bowing

Come tell my students that so they'll believe someone who isn't me? There was literally an email last semester, "I don't see why I got a C, I should get an A because I showed up".

Oh, the memories!
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post