Questions!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2017, 06:27 PM
RE: Questions!
(29-03-2017 04:35 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  Hi,

I'm back, but this will be my last post. I want to apologize for offending anyone or giving anyone the impression that I was arrogant or overconfident. That was not my intention. I'm sorry if any of you think that I made this post because I wanted to judge or convert anyone. Yes, Christians are supposed to evangelize, but that is not what I came here to do. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of responses I've received. I feel bad about starting this thread in the first place. You are right when you say that I wasn't prepared for this kind of attention. I am sorry for wasting your time with this thread, because I can see that it has not accomplished anything.

Thank you for participating in this thread if you did. I appreciate your responses and I apologize for not being able to reply.

Thank you,
Alyssa

Sorry that you're feeling overwhelmed, but given the venue it was more or less inevitable. You're the only tolerable theist currently taking questions and there are oodles of us. You were bound to get swamped. You might feel less pressured in a one-on-one discussion.

We appreciate the lack of evanelism. As you might imagine, we get a lot of that here and it gets tired fast.

Would it surprise you to learn that this is a relatively tame response? Largely because you weren't a jackass? For all that you may feel that you've accomplished little you have managed to avoid many of the worst pitfalls. Kudos! Thumbsup

And you're wrong about this thread not accomplishing anything. It might not have accomplished what you intended but that is frequently the nature of discussions. At the very least we had some fun amongst our selves with some light-hearted banter. You should have joined in and offered to swap Rahn unequivocal proof of God's existence for the Goldengate Bridge then gotten all huffy when he failed to deliver. A little humour goes a long way. And some of us learned a few interesting things. I count that as a win.

If you do abandon this thread then I hope you'll stick around the forum nonetheless. You're a damned sight more intelligent and courteous than the average theist who waltzes in here, though, truth be told, that's damnation by faint praise. There are early signs that you might be an interesting person.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-03-2017, 06:33 PM

I'm back, but this will be my last post. I want to apologize for offending anyone or giving anyone the impression that I was arrogant or overconfident. That was not my intention. I'm sorry if any of you think that I made this post because I wanted to judge or convert anyone. Yes, Christians are supposed to evangelize, but that is not what I came here to do. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of responses I've received. I feel bad about starting this thread in the first place. You are right when you say that I wasn't prepared for this kind of attention. I am sorry for wasting your time with this thread, because I can see that it has not accomplished anything.

Thank you for participating in this thread if you did. I appreciate your responses and I apologize for not being able to reply.

Thank you,
Alyssa

Alyssa, I don’t think you offended anyone. You did ask for questions and we are a questioning bunch. Cool

Stick around, just don’t paint a target on your back by asking a forum full of infidels an open ended question. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
29-03-2017, 06:54 PM
You should hang around seriously, ok so one of your posts was full of holes and you got owned on it but that's done and dusted, like full circle said I don't think you offended anyone I wasn't offended. You've taken some pretty serious heat and remained polite so respect to you for that, trust me that goes a long way here, the worst is over why not stay and become one of our resident theists ? Smile
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
29-03-2017, 07:09 PM

Thank you,
Alyssa

Blink I'm confused.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
29-03-2017, 07:32 PM
I really don't think anyone was offended, Alyssa. Maybe there's something to be said about knowing your audience a little better so you can more effectively convey your thoughts and ideas, but I didn't detect offense from the forum community.

It might help to understand that Christians come here all the time to share their "faith" on a forum full of rational, skeptical thinkers who are already primed to disagree with them. I've seen this so many times that I've lost count, and the Christian always runs off after a few posts when it dawns on them that they've strayed much further than they realized from their comfort zone of like-minded followers of their own faith. My advice is to not leave the forum just yet. Stick around, get to know the people here, and try approaching from a different angle.

You can also pose an invitation for someone to join you in a one-on-one discussion or debate if you felt overwhelmed by the number of responses. Then you could share your ideas in a less threatening environment. (But don't expect that anyone will agree with you or be swayed to your point of view. Tongue )
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
29-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Nobody was offended. You'd know. We are not famed for our subtlety. That you have lasted this long without giving or taking serious offense (I hope) speaks well for you.

You tried to drink from a firehose and that sucks. Smaller sips next time. Oh and FYI, KC lets his dog drink from that hose so make sure your shots are up to date. Tongue

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
30-03-2017, 09:21 AM
(29-03-2017 07:09 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(29-03-2017 06:29 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Come tell my students that so they'll believe someone who isn't me? There was literally an email last semester, "I don't see why I got a C, I should get an A because I showed up".

You can tell your student that in my company we call those people "low performers", and that is after the re-labeling for political correctness.

That's something worth remembering the next time I get an email like that, or in class commentary. Smile Thanks! Part of me wonders if it's partially No Child Left Behind to blame; we teach students K-12 to take a standardized test and that if they show up, they get the answers to the test, and that's that. Our local school board told the high school English teachers to not bother teaching how to write, only to read, because reading is what's important on the tests.

Thank you,
Alyssa

Hi Alyssa, I don't think you seriously offended anyone (though I'll admit to being mildly miffed at the whole Catholics aren't Christians thing). As others have pointed out, you just stepped into the deep end and everyone took you up on the questions offer. That said, for TTA, this is actually quite nice, because folks realized that your intent wasn't malicious and tried to reply in kind; the bridge joking was pretty low level stuff compared to the sheer amount of cursing and attempts to fully dismantle faith that the usual players around here would do to anyone they thought was a "drive by theist" with a malicious intent. My advice, for what little it's worth, is maybe try sticking around some. It can be overwhelming at first, but it's a fun community.

(29-03-2017 05:31 PM)julep Wrote:  
(29-03-2017 06:29 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Come tell my students that so they'll believe someone who isn't me? There was literally an email last semester, "I don't see why I got a C, I should get an A because I showed up".

Oh, the memories!

Feel free to come talk to the students too Tongue We can make new memories that mirror the old out of it.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Shai Hulud's post
30-03-2017, 09:35 AM
(29-03-2017 06:54 PM)adey67 Wrote:  You should hang around seriously, ok so one of your posts was full of holes and you got owned on it but that's done and dusted, like full circle said I don't think you offended anyone I wasn't offended. You've taken some pretty serious heat and remained polite so respect to you for that, trust me that goes a long way here, the worst is over why not stay and become one of our resident theists ? Smile

I've lost track of how many posts I've made that got effectively picked apart or "owned, done, and dusted" on these forums. Laugh out load

We all make arguments that fail sometimes. And that's okay. Hopefully we learn something from them.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
30-03-2017, 10:07 AM

Thank you,
Alyssa

I think part of the disconnect is that many Christians (and other religious folk) who come here think that *all* atheists were always atheists, when in fact most of us are ex-something or other. On this forum, for instance, many of us are ex-Christians and Catholics. So there's nothing you can really teach us that we don't all ready know from years of our own brainwashing er...indoctrination Tongue So when a religious person comes on here with the "good intent" of spreading Jesus (passively or otherwise), it doesn't go over too well.

That said, I hope you decide to stay. I wasn't offended by your posts and it doesn't sound like most people were. We do have a few cool theists here and judging by your exit post, you also seem like you could be a cool theist. Anyway, think it over before you decide to go. We promise not to force feed you holy Flying Spaghetti Monster noodles if you decide to stay Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 8 users Like jennybee's post
30-03-2017, 10:48 AM
At work.

Thank you,
Alyssa

Hug

No real time to post.

I to hope you'll stay.

Come to the dork side. We have milk and cookies. Bonus kittie petting every odd week end. Big Grin

Heart
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post