Questions!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2017, 11:55 AM
RE: Questions!
(30-03-2017 11:55 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 11:50 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Judge: Santeria high priestess can legally sacrifice live chickens for religious purposes--if she learns to do it correctly
wow! it is crazy.

Like I said, this is America. Big Grin

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-03-2017, 11:58 AM
(30-03-2017 11:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 11:55 AM)Alla Wrote:  wow! it is crazy.

Like I said, this is America. Big Grin
Laugh out load yes

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 2 users Like Alla's post
30-03-2017, 12:29 PM
(30-03-2017 11:09 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(28-03-2017 11:37 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > It is their duty to teach their children HOW to think, not WHAT to think.

Ok. Can parents teach their children what they(parents) believe?
And if they believe that it is right thing to pray to God should parents teach their children to pray?

I have no problem with religions being taught to children. But that's not generally what happens.

And again, you can't exactly critically teach about prayer. You're just announcing that some unseen force is listening, based on no evidence. So you're just expecting them to do it because you say so, not because you're linking it in with reality in any way.

If parents owned their beliefs and rituals, and then allowed their children to decide what to make of them, I'd be so much happier. They could also teach them about all the other religions. And about the fact that you don't have to be part of any religion.

Like I said, if they won't love their kid just as much for not being in their religion, they're shitty parents.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Robvalue's post
30-03-2017, 01:39 PM
(29-03-2017 04:35 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  ---Yes, Christians are supposed to evangelize, but that is not what I came here to do.
--
I am sorry for wasting your time with this thread, because I can see that it has not accomplished anything.

Alyssa, I thought you were going to just answer questions. I don't think anyone here had intentions beyond asking questions. Asking questions is pretty much what non-theist people do.

You say you think our conversations haven't accomplished anything? I don't see it that way at all. As many others have also concluded, I think it's been wonderful!

We've gotten many observations out of several members, touched base with a couple of other resident theists, some of us have reminisced about former members & crazy events, etc.,. This is what conversation is about. Thumbsup

As others suggest - you should stick around. It would be fun and you would learn a lot. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
30-03-2017, 01:54 PM
I wish you would stick around too.

It's not necessary to answer every question put to you, in fact it may not be practical. Perhaps picking a range is better than answering none at all.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
30-03-2017, 03:09 PM
(30-03-2017 11:55 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 11:50 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Judge: Santeria high priestess can legally sacrifice live chickens for religious purposes--if she learns to do it correctly
wow! it is crazy.

Yup, kinda like zenu the galactic interlord jewish zombie and nephalim Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
30-03-2017, 03:22 PM
(30-03-2017 11:50 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 11:31 AM)Alla Wrote:  GirlyMan, is this a joke? or for reals?

Judge: Santeria high priestess can legally sacrifice live chickens for religious purposes--if she learns to do it correctly

My religion dictates that I sacrifice Mormons on the High Altar of Reason.

What is the correct way to do this? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-03-2017, 03:28 PM
(30-03-2017 03:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  

My religion dictates that I sacrifice Mormons on the High Altar of Reason.

Don't keep them in beer crates and make sure you're humane when carrying out the sacrifice.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
30-03-2017, 04:04 PM
(30-03-2017 03:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(30-03-2017 03:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  My religion dictates that I sacrifice Mormons on the High Altar of Reason.

Don't keep them in beer crates and make sure you're humane when carrying out the sacrifice.
And don't dent those pesky disappearing gold tablets with the axe
Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
30-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Robvalue Wrote:And again, you can't exactly critically teach about prayer. You're just announcing that some unseen force is listening, based on no evidence. So you're just expecting them to do it because you say so, not because you're linking it in with reality in any way.
I taught my children that there are men(prophets) who claim that God reveals certain knowledge to them. I told my children that I am convinced it is true. I also told them why I am convinced it is true.
I also told them that it is very important that one day they would be convinced that it is true. I told them that it is my hope that one day they will pray to Heavenly Father because it is their own conviction and not because I am doing it and because I am telling them to do it.
This is one of the reasons why I love Gospel of Christ (LDS Doctrine): Nobody should be forced to do what is right and true. It has to be done by own choice.
While children are not adults they do what I teach them is the right and GOOD for them to do. They know WHY they pray and do other things. I told them that I believe(convinced) that when we obey Heavenly Father we can avoid doing wrong choices, we can be comforted and we can feel joy.
Sometimes they come to me and share with me their own little convictions(little experiences). I am pleasantly surprised. Sometimes I ask them why they think it was an answer from God.
The point is that I don't push my children. I only teach them what I believe is true and right and tell them that when we do what is right it will make us happy.

Robvalue Wrote:They could also teach them about all the other religions. And about the fact that you don't have to be part of any religion.
I agree. I and Church teach them that there are many sources of true information. Church and I teach them that it is good to search for new knowledge and it is important to rely on your own convictions and not only on convictions of others, for example my convictions.

Robvalue Wrote:Like I said, if they won't love their kid just as much for not being in their religion, they're shitty parents.
I don't know if "shitty" is the right word, but let's say they are wrong.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED