Questions!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2017, 06:23 PM
RE: Questions!
(30-03-2017 03:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  My religion dictates that I sacrifice Mormons on the High Altar of Reason.

What is the correct way to do this? Consider

Your humor is appreciated. Smile

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2017, 06:26 PM
morondog Wrote:Don't keep them in beer crates and make sure you're humane when carrying out the sacrifice.

adey67 Wrote:And don't dent those pesky disappearing gold tablets with the axe

guys, and your humor is appreciated. Big Grin
I always appreciate good humor. I appreciate people with good sense of humor.

30-03-2017, 07:35 PM
(30-03-2017 06:26 PM)Alla Wrote:  
morondog Wrote:Don't keep them in beer crates and make sure you're humane when carrying out the sacrifice.

adey67 Wrote:And don't dent those pesky disappearing gold tablets with the axe

guys, and your humor is appreciated. Big Grin
I always appreciate good humor. I appreciate people with good sense of humor.

You get a friendly hug from me for being such a good sport.
Hug
31-03-2017, 12:52 AM
(30-03-2017 12:29 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I have no problem with religions being taught to children. But that's not generally what happens.

I wouldn't have problem with teaching children how based on available knowledge religions aren't different from myths of old and serve as social control tools. Sadly from my experience "teaching" about religion is saying why myth that people around whom you were born is true, and why myths in different parts of the world are false.

Quote:And again, you can't exactly critically teach about prayer. You're just announcing that some unseen force is listening, based on no evidence. So you're just expecting them to do it because you say so, not because you're linking it in with reality in any way.

I think that you can - wasn't there study done about effects of prayer on sick? Show kids something like this.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
31-03-2017, 01:01 AM
Alla: Did you give your kids the option to pray, or did you insist on it?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
31-03-2017, 01:05 AM
(31-03-2017 01:01 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Alla: Did you give your kids the option to pray, or did you insist on it?

I'm thirty fucking six years old and people "insist" I pray, like I barely even know them and they think that's ok to do. (I stand my ground, I don't care if they get pissed off by it, they can go fuck themselves. If they aren't gonna be polite with me, I'll stop being polite with them)

Just saying.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like JesseB's post
31-03-2017, 02:05 AM
If you're conditioned from a child to believe you really are talking to someone, by the people you trust most in the world, it's not surprising that you eventually convince yourself. Especially if you're surrounded by people who also believe it.

Yeah, luckily I don't get people telling me to pray. But if they did I'd not be interested.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
31-03-2017, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2017 08:35 AM by Alla.)
Robvalue Wrote:Alla: Did you give your kids the option to pray, or did you insist on it?
When we are in Church we all pray together. Children know that this is what we do because we(members) are learning to be one in many things.
At home: we have family prayers and we have individual prayers.
Family prayers is an opportunity to be one as family. Any moment to be together as family is good moment and important moment.
Individual prayers. They(children) know that this is one of the commandments of Heavenly Father. They know why Heavenly Father tells us to pray, or better to say they know why we NEED to pray. Do they pray when they are alone? I don't know. I hope so. It has to be their choice not mine. Prayer that is forced = waste of time.
When Prophet Joseph Smith was asked how he governs people he said:"I teach them true principles and then they govern themselves". The same with God. He reveals to us true principles and then we have to govern ourselves. We are not forced to do anything.
Sometimes my children come to me and say :"Mom, please, can we pray? or "Please, pray with me." I ask "why?".
There is lots of symbolism in my religion. I find prayer(symbol) to be very positive thing in my life. Every prayer starts with thanking Heavenly Father. It is every day opportunity to remind myself about all good things in my life. When I do it I appreciate them(good things) more. I take them less for granted. I realize that my life is not that bad. I see more clearly that there are many reasons to be happier and more optimistic. It is like a therapy for me. It makes my life less stressful and it makes me stronger emotionally and physically.
When I pray for others I think about those people. I notice that when I pray for them every day or often I care about them more, I want to do good for them more. I start to LOVE them. And this is one of the most important commandments.
Yes, it sounds like a force: "LOVE thy neighbor" How can I love someone, anyone by the command? But then later I understand that God shows ways how to learn actually to LOVE neighbors or even strangers. First I pray for them, then I want to do good for them. It seems so natural to wish to do good for people when you wish them good (for example,in prayers). So, then I start to care about them and I start to love them. You can't hate or dislike people when you do good to them. It is not possible. Something good and marvelous happens inside of you.
When I do all those things I receive what God promises to give. I receive joy, peace, comfort and strength to endure to the end. All these are good fruits of the Spirit.
Do I have a reason not to pray? Do I have a reason not to teach my children to do something that I KNOW is GOOD for them?

31-03-2017, 08:30 AM
(31-03-2017 01:05 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 01:01 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Alla: Did you give your kids the option to pray, or did you insist on it?

I'm thirty fucking six years old and people "insist" I pray, like I barely even know them and they think that's ok to do. (I stand my ground, I don't care if they get pissed off by it, they can go fuck themselves. If they aren't gonna be polite with me, I'll stop being polite with them)

Just saying.
It is totally understandable. When someone wants to force me to do something I want to rebel too.

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
31-03-2017, 08:36 AM
(31-03-2017 08:28 AM)Alla Wrote:  
Robvalue Wrote:Alla: Did you give your kids the option to pray, or did you insist on it?
When we are in Church we all pray together. Children know that this is what we do because we(members) are learning to be one in many things.
At home: we have family prayers and we have individual prayers.
Family prayers is an opportunity to be one as family. Any moment to be together as family is good moment and important moment.
Individual prayers. They(children) know that this is one of the commandments of Heavenly Father. They know why Heavenly Father tells us to pray, or better to say they know why we NEED to pray. Do they pray when they are alone? I don't know. I hope so. It has to be their choice not mine. Prayer that is forced = waste of time.
When Prophet Joseph Smith was asked how he governs people he said:"I teach them true principles and then they govern themselves". The same with God. He reveals to us true principles and then we have to govern ourselves. We are not forced to do anything.
Sometimes my children come to me and say :"Mom, please, can we pray? or "Please, pray with me." I ask "why?".
There is lots of symbolism in my religion. I find prayer(symbol) to be very positive thing in my life. Every prayer starts with thanking Heavenly Father. It is every day opportunity to remind myself about all good things in my life. When I do it I appreciate them(good things) more. I take them less for granted. I realize that my life is not that bad. I see more clearly that there are many reasons to be happier and more optimistic. It is like a therapy for me. It makes my life less stressful and it makes me stronger emotionally and physically.
When I pray for others I think about those people. I notice that when I pray for them every day or often I care about them more, I want to do good for them more. I start to LOVE them. And this is one of the most important commandments.
Yes, it sounds like a force: "LOVE thy neighbor" How can I love someone, anyone by the command? But then later I understand that God shows ways how to learn actually to LOVE neighbors or even strangers. First I pray for them, then I want to do good for them. It seems so natural to wish to do good for people when you wish them good (for example,in prayers). So, then I start to care about them and I start to love them. You can't hate or dislike people when you do good to them. It is not possible. Something good and marvelous happens inside of you.
When I do all those things I receive what God promises to give. I receive joy, peace, comfort and strength to endure to the end. All these are good fruits of the Spirit.
Do I have a reason not pray? Do I have a reason not to teach my children to do something that I KNOW is GOOD for them?

> I gave up on prayer when it became apparent that is was simply an exercise that made me feel good, yet was ineffective in bringing about important changes in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post