Questions!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2017, 08:39 AM
RE: Questions!
(31-03-2017 08:36 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  I gave up on prayer when it became apparent that is was simply an exercise that made me feel good, yet was ineffective in bringing about important changes in reality.
I believe you.
You should do what you believe is good for you.
And if you know that something doesn't work for you then who should blame you for stopping doing it? The answer is nobody. Smile

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
31-03-2017, 08:59 AM
(31-03-2017 08:36 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I gave up on prayer when it became apparent that is was simply an exercise that made me feel good, yet was ineffective in bringing about important changes in reality.

That's because you prayed to the wrong God, silly.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-03-2017, 09:06 AM
(31-03-2017 08:59 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 08:36 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I gave up on prayer when it became apparent that is was simply an exercise that made me feel good, yet was ineffective in bringing about important changes in reality.

That's because you prayed to the wrong God, silly.

> You're right. Perhaps I should have been praying to Joe Pesci. Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
31-03-2017, 09:13 AM
(31-03-2017 09:06 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 08:59 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's because you prayed to the wrong God, silly.

JHVH-1
[Image: woden_zpsfwcbf9xg.jpg]

The Book of the SubGenius: Being the Divine Wisdom, Guidance, and Prophecy of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, High Epopt of the Church of the SubGenius, Here Inscribed for the Salvation of Future Generations and in the Hope that Slack May Someday Reign on This Earth

All Hail SLACK!

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-03-2017, 09:26 AM
(31-03-2017 08:39 AM)Alla Wrote:  And if you know that something doesn't work for you then who should blame you for stopping doing it? The answer is nobody. Smile

Agree wholeheartedly with this. There comes a point where you try something with all your might but it just doesn't work for you. Time is our most precious commodity, and it's important to spend it wisely and according to what adds value to our lives.

I hate it when people say "Oh, you weren't sincere" or "You weren't doing it right" or "Just keep trying." That kind of approach just adds a layer of shaming on top of the frustration of not succeeding.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
31-03-2017, 09:13 PM
I log in to see than I've been banned.
Good one.

You really got me on that.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
31-03-2017, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2017 10:37 PM by Robvalue.)
(31-03-2017 08:28 AM)Alla Wrote:  
Robvalue Wrote:Alla: Did you give your kids the option to pray, or did you insist on it?
When we are in Church we all pray together. Children know that this is what we do because we(members) are learning to be one in many things.
At home: we have family prayers and we have individual prayers.
Family prayers is an opportunity to be one as family. Any moment to be together as family is good moment and important moment.
Individual prayers. They(children) know that this is one of the commandments of Heavenly Father. They know why Heavenly Father tells us to pray, or better to say they know why we NEED to pray. Do they pray when they are alone? I don't know. I hope so. It has to be their choice not mine. Prayer that is forced = waste of time.
When Prophet Joseph Smith was asked how he governs people he said:"I teach them true principles and then they govern themselves". The same with God. He reveals to us true principles and then we have to govern ourselves. We are not forced to do anything.
Sometimes my children come to me and say :"Mom, please, can we pray? or "Please, pray with me." I ask "why?".
There is lots of symbolism in my religion. I find prayer(symbol) to be very positive thing in my life. Every prayer starts with thanking Heavenly Father. It is every day opportunity to remind myself about all good things in my life. When I do it I appreciate them(good things) more. I take them less for granted. I realize that my life is not that bad. I see more clearly that there are many reasons to be happier and more optimistic. It is like a therapy for me. It makes my life less stressful and it makes me stronger emotionally and physically.
When I pray for others I think about those people. I notice that when I pray for them every day or often I care about them more, I want to do good for them more. I start to LOVE them. And this is one of the most important commandments.
Yes, it sounds like a force: "LOVE thy neighbor" How can I love someone, anyone by the command? But then later I understand that God shows ways how to learn actually to LOVE neighbors or even strangers. First I pray for them, then I want to do good for them. It seems so natural to wish to do good for people when you wish them good (for example,in prayers). So, then I start to care about them and I start to love them. You can't hate or dislike people when you do good to them. It is not possible. Something good and marvelous happens inside of you.
When I do all those things I receive what God promises to give. I receive joy, peace, comfort and strength to endure to the end. All these are good fruits of the Spirit.
Do I have a reason not to pray? Do I have a reason not to teach my children to do something that I KNOW is GOOD for them?

Thanks for explaining Smile

Below is my unfiltered evaluation. I've put in spoilers in case you're not interested, as I'm not trying to upset you; just to honestly present my point of view.

So it sounds to me like you insist they pray, and that you make them accept as fact that they are talking to someone/something.

If the Heavenly Father is telling them they need to pray, why is it that you need to tell them to do it? It seems that anything he has to say coincides with what you decide he is saying to them.

From my point of view, what you are actually doing is teaching your kids how to delude themselves. That is how indoctrination works. All the good feelings you mention that you get from praying are easily explained by the placebo effect, and the "messages" easily explained by confirmation bias.

I'm not trying to have a go at you, I'm just calling it as I see it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Robvalue's post
31-03-2017, 11:59 PM
(31-03-2017 09:06 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(31-03-2017 08:59 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's because you prayed to the wrong God, silly.

Hey unlike praying to god, praying to Joe Pesci actually works. Proof below.

Seems legit.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
01-04-2017, 01:15 AM
[Image: tumblr_m92g4pCSbK1ru96bco1_1280.jpg]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
01-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Robvalue Wrote:Below is my unfiltered evaluation. I've put in spoilers in case you're not interested, as I'm not trying to upset you; just to honestly present my point of view.
I appreciate you don't want to upset me. It only proves what an amazing and thoughtful person you are. You are great example to many.
But your honest views will never offend or upset me. I appreciate honesty and honest opinions.

Robvalue Wrote:So it sounds to me like you insist they pray,
I insist them to do many things I believe are good for them. I insist them to read books, to stay more outside, to eat good food, to do their choirs and to be nice to each other. I believe that it is my duty as a parent. Why? Because I love my children and I want them to do what is good for them.

Robvalue Wrote:and that you make them accept as fact that they are talking to someone/something.
No, even I don't know if it is a fact. I BELIEVE, I have very strong conviction it is a fact and by teaching them my beliefs I give them an opportunity to believe it too. But they may chose not to believe. Only when they are presented with information they have an opportunity to make a choice - to believe or not to believe what I believe.
I insist that they pray so they can have an opportunity to try something that I know is good. Only when they pray they can know for themselves that it is good for them. They don't have to rely on my word. They also can choose: "I don't want to do this any more. I don't care it is good for me". Or, they can say: "I don't see, mom, what you see."

Ronvalue Wrote:the good feelings you mention that you get from praying are easily explained by the placebo effect,
That's fine. If God exists then He knows about placebo effect. He would use whatever works so we can help ourselves. Prayer is a pill/medicine that works. And the best part - it is absolutely free.

Ronvalue Wrote:If the Heavenly Father is telling them they need to pray, why is it that you need to tell them to do it? It seems that anything he has to say coincides with what you decide he is saying to them.
I don't know what Heavenly Father is saying to them. I only know what He wants me to say to them.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 2 users Like Alla's post