Questions!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 10:29 AM
RE: Questions!
Alyssa - The point we're trying to make with selling & buying bridges is that most people should not believe that I or anyone else actually has ownership of a bridge and it would be just as silly for someone to buy it.

Pastors, preachers, bishops & popes all make some really outrageous claims about a heaven after you die.
I'm sure they have a really nice bridge in heaven as well, but as WE all know, there is no evidence for any kind of heaven, nor any kind of afterlife.

If you believe in a god, then you might as well buy my bridge.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2017, 10:40 AM
(27-03-2017 10:16 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 09:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Have you noticed that people adhere to the faith they were raised in? Why do you think that is?

Because the function of a religion for most people is as a social system. (That shows how little people require to meet their social needs -- a few meager, cherry-picked ideas from outdated texts.)

Undecided

But it’s not just cherry picked verses that bind people together. Especially given how different people are even when they may share the same biblical literature. What binds people together is the value system, customs, cuisine, holidays and the traditions. I think Christian culture is very strange and the parts of our value system that are shared (those cherry picked verses of the bible that we agree on) don’t counteract the foreignness of their way of life. Had I been raised in that culture, I'd be looking at Judaism and thinking it was the foreign way of life.

Wait a minute... am I even even making a relevant point or am I just talking in circles?
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
27-03-2017, 10:48 AM
(27-03-2017 08:49 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Granted I have never been in the industry, but I am pretty sure you cannot sell a bridge pre-made.

Well not with that attitude! Smile
[+] 4 users Like Emma's post
27-03-2017, 10:50 AM
(27-03-2017 10:40 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 10:16 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  Because the function of a religion for most people is as a social system. (That shows how little people require to meet their social needs -- a few meager, cherry-picked ideas from outdated texts.)

Undecided

But it’s not just cherry picked verses that bind people together. Especially given how different people are even when they may share the same biblical literature. What binds people together is the value system, customs, cuisine, holidays and the traditions. I think Christian culture is very strange and the parts of our value system that are shared (those cherry picked verses of the bible that we agree on) don’t counteract the foreignness of their way of life. Had I been raised in that culture, I'd be looking at Judaism and thinking it was the foreign way of life.

Wait a minute... am I even even making a relevant point or am I just talking in circles?

Why not both? Stuff can be two things.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
27-03-2017, 10:51 AM
(27-03-2017 10:50 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 10:40 AM)Aliza Wrote:  But it’s not just cherry picked verses that bind people together. Especially given how different people are even when they may share the same biblical literature. What binds people together is the value system, customs, cuisine, holidays and the traditions. I think Christian culture is very strange and the parts of our value system that are shared (those cherry picked verses of the bible that we agree on) don’t counteract the foreignness of their way of life. Had I been raised in that culture, I'd be looking at Judaism and thinking it was the foreign way of life.

Why not both? Stuff can be two things.

This is true.

ONLY MY WAY CAN BE RIGHT!

Tongue
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
27-03-2017, 03:31 PM
(26-03-2017 09:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 04:46 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  Hi, on my last thread I got asked some questions. If you still want to ask me something, I will be more than happy to answer it here. Thank you!

Hi Alyssa2017, just so you know, many of us here were raised within one religion or another. Chances are good that we have been there and done that long before you were indoctrinated into your faith.

With that being said I’ll ask you some questions.

Have you noticed that people adhere to the faith they were raised in? Why do you think that is? Do you think it is a coincidence that you are Christian the same as your parents? Do you think it is a coincidence that a child born into a Jewish family follows Judaism? A Muslim? A Hindu? A person without beliefs? If one religion were the One True ™ wouldn’t it be obvious? If not why not? Does a god play favorites? Does an omnipotent, all-knowing god mean to condemn some humans from the start? Have you noticed how regardless of what religion you believe in others believe in theirs just as strongly? Or not at all? At what age do you regard a person to be mature enough to make critical decisions? Should teaching a child articles of faith before they reach this age be considered indoctrination, abuse, both, neither?

Just some questions off the top of my head. I’ll think of others if you answer these.

My mother is Christian and my father is atheist. We used to be Catholic. My mother has been a practicing Christian for 10 years. I never read the Bible until last December. I was away from my parents at college when I started my relationship with Jesus. I was never a practicing Christian before. I believed in God, but I was not a Christian or saved despite what I thought at the time.

I think Christianity is the one true religion. Pentecostal, Apostolic, Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Presbyterian, etc. are the same in many respects. There are people who think theirs is superior and I won't go around in circles trying to argue my case.

I don't think God plays favorites. Yes, our lives are predestined for Heaven or Hell. However, you can watch testimonies on YouTube where people talk about being sent to Hell after God's wrath and judgment and were rescued by Jesus.

I understand some religions believe in theirs just as strongly. My faith will stand.

I think age depends on the person.

Only if religion is abused should it be considered indoctrination. I wanted to be raised a Christian but did not have a choice. Sometimes I blame my parents, but there is no going back. I am happy that I have a story to tell.
27-03-2017, 03:42 PM
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  ... you can watch testimonies on YouTube where people talk about being sent to Hell after God's wrath and judgment and were rescued by Jesus.

Have you ever heard of the Biscayna Bay? It's beautiful year round and it happens to be for sale.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
27-03-2017, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2017 04:06 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  Only if religion is abused should it be considered indoctrination.

I disagree. If you teach children to believe in ideas which they don't understand, through positive and negative feedback, then you are conditioning or indoctrinating them.

Sad
[+] 13 users Like Thoreauvian's post
27-03-2017, 04:01 PM
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 09:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hi Alyssa2017, just so you know, many of us here were raised within one religion or another. Chances are good that we have been there and done that long before you were indoctrinated into your faith.

With that being said I’ll ask you some questions.

Have you noticed that people adhere to the faith they were raised in? Why do you think that is? Do you think it is a coincidence that you are Christian the same as your parents? Do you think it is a coincidence that a child born into a Jewish family follows Judaism? A Muslim? A Hindu? A person without beliefs? If one religion were the One True ™ wouldn’t it be obvious? If not why not? Does a god play favorites? Does an omnipotent, all-knowing god mean to condemn some humans from the start? Have you noticed how regardless of what religion you believe in others believe in theirs just as strongly? Or not at all? At what age do you regard a person to be mature enough to make critical decisions? Should teaching a child articles of faith before they reach this age be considered indoctrination, abuse, both, neither?

Just some questions off the top of my head. I’ll think of others if you answer these.

My mother is Christian and my father is atheist. We used to be Catholic. My mother has been a practicing Christian for 10 years. I never read the Bible until last December. I was away from my parents at college when I started my relationship with Jesus. I was never a practicing Christian before. I believed in God, but I was not a Christian or saved despite what I thought at the time.

I think Christianity is the one true religion. Pentecostal, Apostolic, Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Presbyterian, etc. are the same in many respects. There are people who think theirs is superior and I won't go around in circles trying to argue my case.

I don't think God plays favorites. Yes, our lives are predestined for Heaven or Hell. However, you can watch testimonies on YouTube where people talk about being sent to Hell after God's wrath and judgment and were rescued by Jesus.

I understand some religions believe in theirs just as strongly. My faith will stand.

I think age depends on the person.

Only if religion is abused should it be considered indoctrination. I wanted to be raised a Christian but did not have a choice. Sometimes I blame my parents, but there is no going back. I am happy that I have a story to tell.
Seriously? You would worship a deity that sends people to fiery torment for all eternity for what must necessarily be finite crimes? Predestination to hell is even worse, your god sounds like a monster.
You do realise you contradicted yourself as if god predestines people to heaven or hell clearly he does play favorites. Testimonies on you tube ?? You realise that that's anecdotal right ? Anecdotal is pretty much worthless. I'm not surprised you wont argue your case as clearly you don't actually seem to have one.
I'm sure you have a story to tell, but that's all it is a story.
[+] 7 users Like adey67's post
27-03-2017, 04:16 PM
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  I was away from my parents at college when I started my relationship with Jesus.

First time can be pretty intense experience it seems.

Quote:I think Christianity is the one true religion.

Many Muslims I suppose thinks the same about Islam. Have something beside feels to refute it?

Quote:Pentecostal, Apostolic, Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Presbyterian, etc. are the same in many respects. There are people who think theirs is superior and I won't go around in circles trying to argue my case.

It's obvious that you have no case, just feels.

Quote:I don't think God plays favorites. Yes, our lives are predestined for Heaven or Hell.

So is he playing favorites or not?

Quote:However, you can watch testimonies on YouTube where people talk about being sent to Hell after God's wrath and judgment and were rescued by Jesus.

I saw videos about honest politicians on YouTube so Jesus and saving people from his genocidal father wrath is nothing compared to it.

Quote:I understand some religions believe in theirs just as strongly. My faith will stand.

This statement is sad and even sadder is this that you can't see it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post