Questions!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 04:21 PM
RE: Questions!
Hey Alyssa Smile

Thanks for an interesting answer.

So hang on a sec. You believed in God but you were not a Christian or saved despite what you believed at the time ??? So you *thought* you were saved but really weren't? And then... you fortunately encountered someone who showed you the True Path? Um. Is there not a risk that you are *still* not saved, despite what you think right now?

Out of interest, given that you now do know the True Path, what is it? Out of the many thousands of denominations, you have found the correct one, so which one is it? How does it differ from the beliefs that you *thought* made you into a saved Christian but apparently didn't?

Please note, I'm not making fun. I do think you're delightfully barmy, but then, so is everyone, only some people aren't very delightful.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like morondog's post
27-03-2017, 04:44 PM
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  I think Christianity is the one true religion.

Based on what?

Quote:I don't think God plays favorites. Yes, our lives are predestined for Heaven or Hell.

That seems contradictory.

Quote:However, you can watch testimonies on YouTube where people talk about being sent to Hell after God's wrath and judgment and were rescued by Jesus.

I can also watch testimonies about being abducted by aliens, seeing bigfoot, and many other claims. Testimonies are virtually worthless as evidence for anything.

Quote:I understand some religions believe in theirs just as strongly. My faith will stand.

Is there anything that somebody could not believe strongly based on faith?

If somebody else has absolute faith in something that disagrees with your view how can we find out who is correct?

Quote:Only if religion is abused should it be considered indoctrination. I wanted to be raised a Christian but did not have a choice. Sometimes I blame my parents, but there is no going back. I am happy that I have a story to tell.

Catholics aren't Christians?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
27-03-2017, 04:46 PM
*gets the popcorn and leans back*

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
27-03-2017, 04:51 PM
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 09:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hi Alyssa2017, just so you know, many of us here were raised within one religion or another. Chances are good that we have been there and done that long before you were indoctrinated into your faith.

With that being said I’ll ask you some questions.

Have you noticed that people adhere to the faith they were raised in? Why do you think that is? Do you think it is a coincidence that you are Christian the same as your parents? Do you think it is a coincidence that a child born into a Jewish family follows Judaism? A Muslim? A Hindu? A person without beliefs? If one religion were the One True ™ wouldn’t it be obvious? If not why not? Does a god play favorites? Does an omnipotent, all-knowing god mean to condemn some humans from the start? Have you noticed how regardless of what religion you believe in others believe in theirs just as strongly? Or not at all? At what age do you regard a person to be mature enough to make critical decisions? Should teaching a child articles of faith before they reach this age be considered indoctrination, abuse, both, neither?

Just some questions off the top of my head. I’ll think of others if you answer these.

My mother is Christian and my father is atheist. We used to be Catholic. My mother has been a practicing Christian for 10 years. I never read the Bible until last December. I was away from my parents at college when I started my relationship with Jesus. I was never a practicing Christian before. I believed in God, but I was not a Christian or saved despite what I thought at the time.

I think Christianity is the one true religion. Pentecostal, Apostolic, Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Presbyterian, etc. are the same in many respects. There are people who think theirs is superior and I won't go around in circles trying to argue my case.

I don't think God plays favorites. Yes, our lives are predestined for Heaven or Hell. However, you can watch testimonies on YouTube where people talk about being sent to Hell after God's wrath and judgment and were rescued by Jesus.

I understand some religions believe in theirs just as strongly. My faith will stand.

I think age depends on the person.

Only if religion is abused should it be considered indoctrination. I wanted to be raised a Christian but did not have a choice. Sometimes I blame my parents, but there is no going back. I am happy that I have a story to tell.

Welcome Calvinist. There's at least one other Calvinist around here who's been patiently waiting to meet you.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-03-2017, 05:05 PM
(27-03-2017 04:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  My mother is Christian and my father is atheist. We used to be Catholic. My mother has been a practicing Christian for 10 years. I never read the Bible until last December. I was away from my parents at college when I started my relationship with Jesus. I was never a practicing Christian before. I believed in God, but I was not a Christian or saved despite what I thought at the time.

I think Christianity is the one true religion. Pentecostal, Apostolic, Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Presbyterian, etc. are the same in many respects. There are people who think theirs is superior and I won't go around in circles trying to argue my case.

I don't think God plays favorites. Yes, our lives are predestined for Heaven or Hell. However, you can watch testimonies on YouTube where people talk about being sent to Hell after God's wrath and judgment and were rescued by Jesus.

I understand some religions believe in theirs just as strongly. My faith will stand.

Only if religion is abused should it be considered indoctrination. I wanted to be raised a Christian but did not have a choice. Sometimes I blame my parents, but there is no going back. I am happy that I have a story to tell.

Welcome Calvinist. There's at least one other Calvinist around here who's been patiently waiting to meet you.

Is his name "Hobbs"?

Disappointing theists since 1968
[+] 1 user Likes A. Secular Human's post
27-03-2017, 05:07 PM
(26-03-2017 09:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hi Alyssa2017, just so you know, many of us here were raised within one religion or another. Chances are good that we have been there and done that long before you were indoctrinated into your faith.

Have you noticed that people adhere to the faith they were raised in? Why do you think that is? Do you think it is a coincidence that you are Christian the same as your parents? Do you think it is a coincidence that a child born into a Jewish family follows Judaism? A Muslim? A Hindu? A person without beliefs? If one religion were the One True ™ wouldn’t it be obvious? If not why not? Does a god play favorites? Does an omnipotent, all-knowing god mean to condemn some humans from the start? Have you noticed how regardless of what religion you believe in others believe in theirs just as strongly? Or not at all? At what age do you regard a person to be mature enough to make critical decisions? Should teaching a child articles of faith before they reach this age be considered indoctrination, abuse, both, neither?

Just some questions off the top of my head. I’ll think of others if you answer these.

> “Man is the religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the true religion--several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven.” (Mark Twain, The Damned Human Race) Consider
[+] 6 users Like Gwaithmir's post
27-03-2017, 05:08 PM
(27-03-2017 05:05 PM)A. Secular Human Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 04:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Welcome Calvinist. There's at least one other Calvinist around here who's been patiently waiting to meet you.

Is his name "Hobbs"?

Used to be banhammer. Named KingsChosen of course (he swears he named himself after his dog, sure you did, now go take Harvey for a walk Sam). Only 143,998 seats left.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-03-2017, 05:11 PM
(27-03-2017 05:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 05:05 PM)A. Secular Human Wrote:  Is his name "Hobbs"?

Used to be banhammer. Named KingsChosen of course (he swears he named himself after his dog, sure you did, now go take Harvey for a walk Sam). Only 143,998 seats left.

> Dammit! You beat me to it. Dodgy
27-03-2017, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2017 05:32 PM by Chas.)
(27-03-2017 07:29 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  

FC, have you been reading The God Delusion lately? This line of thought sounds suspiciously like a setup to Dawkins point that there is no such thing as an [insert religion] child, or his argument that geography and society have a lot to do with the choosing of people's faiths, that if I'm born in Salt Lake City to Mormon parents, I'll probably be Mormon. If born in the Middle East, to Muslim parents, I'd be a Muslim, etc.

Of course it does - because it's self-evidently true. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2017, 06:50 PM

My mother is Christian and my father is atheist. We used to be Catholic. My mother has been a practicing Christian for 10 years. I never read the Bible until last December. I was away from my parents at college when I started my relationship with Jesus. I was never a practicing Christian before. I believed in God, but I was not a Christian or saved despite what I thought at the time.

You read the Bible and don't believe God plays favorites? I'm sure the Egyptians, the Amalekites, the Midianites, and many, many others who were smited for a whole host of things might beg to differ Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post