Questions!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 06:54 PM
RE: Questions!
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 09:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hi Alyssa2017, just so you know, many of us here were raised within one religion or another. Chances are good that we have been there and done that long before you were indoctrinated into your faith.

With that being said I’ll ask you some questions.

Have you noticed that people adhere to the faith they were raised in? Why do you think that is? Do you think it is a coincidence that you are Christian the same as your parents? Do you think it is a coincidence that a child born into a Jewish family follows Judaism? A Muslim? A Hindu? A person without beliefs? If one religion were the One True ™ wouldn’t it be obvious? If not why not? Does a god play favorites? Does an omnipotent, all-knowing god mean to condemn some humans from the start? Have you noticed how regardless of what religion you believe in others believe in theirs just as strongly? Or not at all? At what age do you regard a person to be mature enough to make critical decisions? Should teaching a child articles of faith before they reach this age be considered indoctrination, abuse, both, neither?

Just some questions off the top of my head. I’ll think of others if you answer these.

My mother is Christian and my father is atheist. We used to be Catholic. My mother has been a practicing Christian for 10 years. I never read the Bible until last December. I was away from my parents at college when I started my relationship with Jesus. I was never a practicing Christian before. I believed in God, but I was not a Christian or saved despite what I thought at the time.

I think Christianity is the one true religion. Pentecostal, Apostolic, Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Presbyterian, etc. are the same in many respects. There are people who think theirs is superior and I won't go around in circles trying to argue my case.

I don't think God plays favorites. Yes, our lives are predestined for Heaven or Hell. However, you can watch testimonies on YouTube where people talk about being sent to Hell after God's wrath and judgment and were rescued by Jesus.

I understand some religions believe in theirs just as strongly. My faith will stand.

I think age depends on the person.

Only if religion is abused should it be considered indoctrination. I wanted to be raised a Christian but did not have a choice. Sometimes I blame my parents, but there is no going back. I am happy that I have a story to tell.

If our lives are predestined for Heaven or hell, what is the point of Jesus?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
27-03-2017, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2017 08:42 PM by Full Circle.)
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 09:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hi Alyssa2017, just so you know, many of us here were raised within one religion or another. Chances are good that we have been there and done that long before you were indoctrinated into your faith.

With that being said I’ll ask you some questions.

Have you noticed that people adhere to the faith they were raised in? Why do you think that is? Do you think it is a coincidence that you are Christian the same as your parents? Do you think it is a coincidence that a child born into a Jewish family follows Judaism? A Muslim? A Hindu? A person without beliefs? If one religion were the One True ™ wouldn’t it be obvious? If not why not? Does a god play favorites? Does an omnipotent, all-knowing god mean to condemn some humans from the start? Have you noticed how regardless of what religion you believe in others believe in theirs just as strongly? Or not at all? At what age do you regard a person to be mature enough to make critical decisions? Should teaching a child articles of faith before they reach this age be considered indoctrination, abuse, both, neither?

Just some questions off the top of my head. I’ll think of others if you answer these.

My mother is Christian and my father is atheist. We used to be Catholic. My mother has been a practicing Christian for 10 years. I never read the Bible until last December. I was away from my parents at college when I started my relationship with Jesus. I was never a practicing Christian before. I believed in God, but I was not a Christian or saved despite what I thought at the time.

I think Christianity is the one true religion. Pentecostal, Apostolic, Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Presbyterian, etc. are the same in many respects. There are people who think theirs is superior and I won't go around in circles trying to argue my case.

I don't think God plays favorites. Yes, our lives are predestined for Heaven or Hell. However, you can watch testimonies on YouTube where people talk about being sent to Hell after God's wrath and judgment and were rescued by Jesus.

I understand some religions believe in theirs just as strongly. My faith will stand.

I think age depends on the person.

Only if religion is abused should it be considered indoctrination. I wanted to be raised a Christian but did not have a choice. Sometimes I blame my parents, but there is no going back. I am happy that I have a story to tell.

Thank you for answering Alyssa.

My forum comrades have pretty much picked your answers apart but I do have one other question regarding your “relationship with Jesus”. Doesn’t it strike you a bit one sided? You pray, you tithe, you read scripture and meanwhile all you hear from the other side is the sound of Crickets , nothing.

Or do you hear voices in your head and attribute mere coincidences to the almighty hand of God?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
27-03-2017, 07:25 PM
(27-03-2017 04:46 PM)Leerob Wrote:  *gets the popcorn and leans back*

*sits beside Leerob and leans back too...and steals a bit of popcorn*

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-03-2017, 07:29 PM
(27-03-2017 07:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 04:46 PM)Leerob Wrote:  *gets the popcorn and leans back*

*sits beside Leerob and leans back too...and steals a bit of popcorn*

The cost of admission to this party is...is...ah hell, scoot over and pass the popcorn. Popcorn

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-03-2017, 07:46 PM
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  I don't think God plays favorites. Yes, our lives are predestined for Heaven or Hell.

Not to sound insulting, but that's truly horrific.

Imagine that you come over to my house and I'm playing Sims. I've installed the AI mod, so all my Sims are self-aware. They know that I am their Creator and they worship me. They'd bloody well better becase I've also installed the Bubbling Lava mod, which lets me drop them into a pit of molten rock. And I have a hitpoint hack that regenerates their health as fast as they lose it so the ones writhing and shrieking as their flesh is seared away don't die, they just suffer forever. The joke's on them though. I've decided which ones are going into the lava before they even spawn.

Do those sound like the actions of a good person? Is that moral behavior? Would you date that guy? Or would you be concerned with what/who might be burried in his backyard?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 11 users Like Paleophyte's post
27-03-2017, 07:56 PM
*sets up concession stand*

Prices

Popcorn: 1 Bridge
Butter Topping: 1 Bay or Harbour
Large Drink: 1 Unicorn

Popcorn Bags and Drink Cups: $59.95 each

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 7 users Like Paleophyte's post
27-03-2017, 08:37 PM
(27-03-2017 06:54 PM)jennybee Wrote:  If our lives are predestined for Heaven or hell, what is the point of Jesus?

.... Hey wait a minute. Consider That's a really good point. I guess Jesus is a worthless pile of bones after all! Big Grin
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
27-03-2017, 08:44 PM
(27-03-2017 07:56 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  *sets up concession stand*

Prices

Popcorn: 1 Bridge
Butter Topping: 1 Bay or Harbour
Large Drink: 1 Unicorn

Popcorn Bags and Drink Cups: $59.95 each

Damn capitalist. Where’s Fred Hampton when you need him?

Tongue

27-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Alyssa, if have my right hand behind my back and ask you to guess how many fingers I'm holding up, how often will you be correct ?

I'll even let you ask god for help, cause he knows right ?

Now what would you think if every guess of yours is wrong.
You guess 2 and I pull my hand from behind my back showing you 3 three fingers.
Would you conclude that I'm cheating or would you conclude that god has lied to you every single time ?

Now what if you guessed correctly every single time ?
Would you conclude that again, I am cheating or would you conclude that the answers god gave you were right every single time ?

But if I'm cheating when you guess them correct every single time, that would mean that god lied to you nearly every single time, except on the times when you guessed correctly as a matter of coincidence.

Or lastly, god doesn't exist and the conversations you have in your head are just your imagination.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
27-03-2017, 09:38 PM
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  My mother is Christian and my father is atheist. We used to be Catholic. My mother has been a practicing Christian for 10 years.

You seem to be indicating that catholics are not christians. Not all christians are catholics, but all catholics are christians.

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  I never read the Bible until last December.

How do you feel about the biblical atrocities? The infanticide, genocide, rape, slavery? None of that bothered you?

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  I was away from my parents at college when I started my relationship with Jesus.

You should read up on cults and how they exploit the vulnerable. I'm just sayin'...

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  I was never a practicing Christian before. I believed in God, but I was not a Christian or saved despite what I thought at the time.

Oh, born again. According to some scholars, the "born-again" thing reveals something interesting. The apostles and jesus would have spoken the Aramaic language. The "born-again" passage contains wording that only makes sense in Greek. So that passage couldn't have been written by the original authors of the gospels.

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  I think Christianity is the one true religion.

And the suicide bombers in ISIS are certain that you are wrong.
The faithful of every religion are certain that theirs is the one true religion.

How can you tell the difference?

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  Pentecostal, Apostolic, Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Presbyterian, etc. are the same in many respects.

Unfortunately, they disagree with you. Exclusivity works wonders for recruiting followers, but by default it makes compromise a bit difficult.

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  There are people who think theirs is superior and I won't go around in circles trying to argue my case.

If you are going to state your beliefs you should be prepared to defend those beliefs. That is if you expect others to consider them seriously. Think about it. If you say "My religion is the one true religion" but won't defend that statement, why should we believe you?

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  I don't think God plays favorites. Yes, our lives are predestined for Heaven or Hell.

As others have pointed out, that is a contradictory statement.

Think about hell for a second.
Your god creates hell.
He knows in advance that people are going to be sent to hell.
He creates the hell and the people anyway.
He knows that he is going to torture souls in hell. Forever.
A "lake of eternal fire".
And not for just sins. For not hearing the word.
Doesn't matter how good you are, how innocent you are.
Non-christian? Lake of eternal fire.
Wrong christian? Lake of eternal fire.
Gandhi? Lake of eternal fire.

Dead babies? Lake of eternal fire.
What kind of god tortures babies eternally, for no reason?

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  However, you can watch testimonies on YouTube where people talk about being sent to Hell after God's wrath and judgment and were rescued by Jesus.

If they were rescued by jesus then they weren't destined for hell.

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  I understand some religions believe in theirs just as strongly. My faith will stand.

But you already said you wouldn't argue to defend your faith.

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  Only if religion is abused should it be considered indoctrination.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Indoctrination is indoctrination.

And any religion that tells a child that they will burn in hell, forever, qualifies as abuse.

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  I wanted to be raised a Christian but did not have a choice. Sometimes I blame my parents, but there is no going back. I am happy that I have a story to tell.

I'm looking forward to hearing your responses.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 9 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post