Questions!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 09:48 PM
RE: Questions!
What the hell did I just stumble onto...

Oh wow.... I have so many thought on this, I had better take some time and sort them out.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
27-03-2017, 09:52 PM
(27-03-2017 09:38 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  And any religion that tells a child that they will burn in hell, forever, qualifies as abuse.

This, right here, is one of the primary reasons that I will never become a Christian. If it were up to me, there would be laws in place worldwide against such indoctrination. Frightening a child with tales of hellfire causes lasting psychological damage.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 12 users Like Astreja's post
27-03-2017, 10:01 PM
(27-03-2017 04:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  My mother is Christian and my father is atheist. We used to be Catholic. My mother has been a practicing Christian for 10 years. I never read the Bible until last December. I was away from my parents at college when I started my relationship with Jesus. I was never a practicing Christian before. I believed in God, but I was not a Christian or saved despite what I thought at the time.

I think Christianity is the one true religion. Pentecostal, Apostolic, Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Presbyterian, etc. are the same in many respects. There are people who think theirs is superior and I won't go around in circles trying to argue my case.

I don't think God plays favorites. Yes, our lives are predestined for Heaven or Hell. However, you can watch testimonies on YouTube where people talk about being sent to Hell after God's wrath and judgment and were rescued by Jesus.

I understand some religions believe in theirs just as strongly. My faith will stand.

I think age depends on the person.

Only if religion is abused should it be considered indoctrination. I wanted to be raised a Christian but did not have a choice. Sometimes I blame my parents, but there is no going back. I am happy that I have a story to tell.

Welcome Calvinist. There's at least one other Calvinist around here who's been patiently waiting to meet you.

I was never a Calvinist.... but thanks to my parents I have a lot to say about Calvinism. This could get interesting.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
27-03-2017, 10:03 PM
(27-03-2017 09:52 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 09:38 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  And any religion that tells a child that they will burn in hell, forever, qualifies as abuse.

This, right here, is one of the primary reasons that I will never become a Christian. If it were up to me, there would be laws in place worldwide against such indoctrination. Frightening a child with tales of hellfire causes lasting psychological damage.

There are people on this forum who have suffered psychological abuse from Christianity. I've even known people in my personal life who have attributed the physical abuse they suffered growing up as being rooted in Christianity.

As proselytizers, Christians must appreciate how their behaviors are viewed by the very people they're marketing their religion to.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
27-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Poor thing.

I don't think she knew what she was stepping into.

Hi Alyssa. I'm the other Calvinist here.

Bit of advice: stay honest... don't bullshit... it's ok to say "I don't know"... be clear; don't mask answers with semantic, wordy crap... oh, and try to answer all questions thoroughly and in a timely manner.

I had a topic like this with 30K+ replies. It was exhausting. Good luck.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
27-03-2017, 10:07 PM
(27-03-2017 10:03 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Poor thing.

Bit of advice: stay honest... don't bullshit... it's ok to say "I don't know"... be clear; don't mask answers with semantic, wordy crap... oh, and try to answer all questions thoroughly and in a timely manner.

Hey KC, how’s it hanging?

The one clue was the A in TTA Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-03-2017, 10:07 PM
(27-03-2017 09:52 PM)Astreja Wrote:  

I would agree that children should absolutely be protected from religious indoctrination. I'm sure many people here know how horrific that is first hand.

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
27-03-2017, 10:08 PM
(27-03-2017 10:03 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 09:52 PM)Astreja Wrote:  This, right here, is one of the primary reasons that I will never become a Christian. If it were up to me, there would be laws in place worldwide against such indoctrination. Frightening a child with tales of hellfire causes lasting psychological damage.

There are people on this forum who have suffered psychological abuse from Christianity. I've even known people in my personal life who have attributed the physical abuse they suffered growing up as being rooted in Christianity.

As proselytizers, Christians must appreciate how their behaviors are viewed by the very people they're marketing their religion to.

Psychological abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, financial abuse, sexual abuse...... want me to get into the details? and for all the effort I still never believed a god existed.

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
27-03-2017, 10:09 PM
(27-03-2017 10:07 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 10:03 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Poor thing.

Hey KC, how’s it hanging?

Not bad. You know, the usual... we might get to move back into the house at the end of April/beginning of May.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
27-03-2017, 10:17 PM
(27-03-2017 10:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 10:07 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hey KC, how’s it hanging?

Not bad. You know, the usual... we might get to move back into the house at the end of April/beginning of May.

I don't know what happened, but I'm happy you're getting to go back home!

Also..... pretty sound advice, not bad.

Big Grin