Questions!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 10:18 PM
RE: Questions!
(27-03-2017 10:48 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 08:49 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Granted I have never been in the industry, but I am pretty sure you cannot sell a bridge pre-made.

Well not with that attitude! Smile

You're right, I should start building bridges in my backyard.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
27-03-2017, 10:20 PM
(27-03-2017 10:08 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 10:03 PM)Aliza Wrote:  There are people on this forum who have suffered psychological abuse from Christianity. I've even known people in my personal life who have attributed the physical abuse they suffered growing up as being rooted in Christianity.

As proselytizers, Christians must appreciate how their behaviors are viewed by the very people they're marketing their religion to.

Psychological abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, financial abuse, sexual abuse...... want me to get into the details? and for all the effort I still never believed a god existed.

Sounds like shitty, demented parents. I know hordes of people that were indoctrinated that never suffered abuse.

Calling a spade a spade, here. Pretty sure this would have happened in some way, shape or form regardless of the religion or even if they were irreligious. Religion isn't a scapegoat for abhorrent people's actions.

They are obviously toxic people, and instead of saying that they are just plain terrible people, you want to attach an attribute to them which is the cause for their shittiness.

While the method in which they enacted their abuse may have been influenced by religion, the actual abuse wasn't caused by religion.

Just my observation/opinion

Edit: rereading my reply, I realize I sound like a jackass. Sorry. That's now how I wanted to come across. I'm just very blunt and to the point. Please don't be offended.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
27-03-2017, 10:42 PM
(27-03-2017 10:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 10:08 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Psychological abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, financial abuse, sexual abuse...... want me to get into the details? and for all the effort I still never believed a god existed.

Sounds like shitty, demented parents. I know hordes of people that were indoctrinated that never suffered abuse.

Calling a spade a spade, here. Pretty sure this would have happened in some way, shape or form regardless of the religion or even if they were irreligious. Religion isn't a scapegoat for abhorrent people's actions.

They are obviously toxic people, and instead of saying that they are just plain terrible people, you want to attach an attribute to them which is the cause for their shittiness.

While the method in which they enacted their abuse may have been influenced by religion, the actual abuse wasn't caused by religion.

Edit: rereading my reply, I realize I sound like a jackass. Sorry. That's now how I wanted to come across. I'm just very blunt and to the point. Please don't be offended.

The toxic people in question are living in a culture that believes that beating their children is what Jesus wants them to do. I don't understand this justification, but I do realize that they're in the minority. The end result is that they're doing some extreme parenting in the name of Christianity and when Christians market their religion to others, they need to be aware of these issues and respond to them. -And by respond to them, I don't mean simply accusing others as not being True Christians™.

I didn't think you sounded like a jackass at all. I appreciate your viewpoint and input. Smile
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
27-03-2017, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2017 11:05 PM by JesseB.)
(27-03-2017 10:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 10:08 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Psychological abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, financial abuse, sexual abuse...... want me to get into the details? and for all the effort I still never believed a god existed.

I'm not offended dude. Don't worry

With regard to my parents. I would kinda agree with you to an extent. I mean religion is very easy to use in justifying behavior like this, but I suspect regardless they are who they are and any change in their belief system would be unlikely to have a dramatic effect. At least regarding the physical abuse.

With the emotional and mental abuse, religion is a highly effective tool. It's uses this tool on everyone universally. The sad part is people in it think they are helping when often they are harming. They don't intend for this, but that's one of the hallmarks of religions in general. Again, that can largely be boiled down to a lack of understanding, however religions are kinda unique in their call to hinder any growth or obtaining any knowledge which would show the religion to be bullshit (I'm sure since you're here you are subjected to a lot of these facts, so you have some understanding of what I'm talking about here). Religions stifle growth and understanding. They rob people of the ability to have/show compassion, after all if its for "gods" glory then its meaningless (says the nihilist lol). They cheapen love. And frankly religious folks are the most stingy heartless people I've ever seen. It was atheists who never betrayed me, who encouraged me, who showed me compassion and kindness, who not only offered to, but really helped me when I was in need. They asked for nothing in return, and they didn't cheapen it by saying some magic skydude told them to. They did it because THEY wanted to, and it meant all the more to me for it. This is simply anecdotal, but I've been all over the world, I've been in and taught in churches for over half my life, my parents weren't unique or alone in abusing children. Nor were they my only abusers.

Jesus Camp

Kidnapped for christ

A hallmark of Calvinistic thought is the idea that life is meant to be miserable, that you are supposed to suffer every single day. That you should celebrate when you're abused, if your boss works you to death and doesn't pay you enough you should be grateful to him for it. My dad tried to pass these kinds of lessons onto me, particularly with work ethic.

When I was a child my dad would come in my room and start throwing away all my possessions if he was mad (which was often), he considered all money I made to be his, all possessions I had were his. I was an object, a possession as all children are in a christian home (or at least most christian homes). This thought process allowed parents to say that children must OBEY every demand they make. They dehumanize children, stripping away their person-hood and individuality. A child isn't allowed to be an Atheist in a christian home, and I pity any who openly says they are, I envy them too I guess I was never brave enough to say it. He regularly told me he was going to leave me at an orphanage. I was told I would be sent to one of those camps like in Kidnapped for christ.

CNN

Preacher brags about hitting a kid

You can go to almost any christian home with adult children and find that they continue to be property as long as they remain in the parents home. It doesn't end when they turn 18.

Edit^ Some political ideologies also try to prevent people from learning growing or gaining knowledge as gaining knowledge would be a direct threat to that ideologies existence, which is also why religions practice this.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 5 users Like JesseB's post
27-03-2017, 11:29 PM
Getting back to the OP,

I would love to ask my neighbors or family this question without being murdered for asking it. Since I doubt you'll be coming over to my house to shoot me, I'll ask you.

Do you think Jesus is going to return before you die? (I mean everyone I know thinks this, my grandma thought this her mom thought this ect)

IF SO, WHY would you be so special, when for almost 2,000 years people have thougth this yet it's never happened?

How do you explain every generation thinking they alone are in the end times, despite having tons of history to show that this is a normal christian idea that has always been wrong? Do you have reasonable justification for thinking this, or is it just something you want?

and finally do you think its ok to destroy the environment, care nothing about your children (or the children in general and their children ect) simply because you think the world is going to end anyway?

I can tell you that people here don't care about their kids, or their grand kids ect. Not even a little. They'll openly say as much, it's not their job to care about anyone but themselves, and besides the world is ending anyway. its silly to worry about other people when the world is gonna end so soon.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
28-03-2017, 12:00 AM
(27-03-2017 11:29 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I can tell you that people here don't care about their kids, or their grand kids ect. Not even a little. They'll openly say as much, it's not their job to care about anyone but themselves, and besides the world is ending anyway. its silly to worry about other people when the world is gonna end so soon.

To be clear, JB's referring to "people here" as in the people he lives with, not us. We tend to care slightly more.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-03-2017, 12:36 AM
(28-03-2017 12:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 11:29 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I can tell you that people here don't care about their kids, or their grand kids ect. Not even a little. They'll openly say as much, it's not their job to care about anyone but themselves, and besides the world is ending anyway. its silly to worry about other people when the world is gonna end so soon.

To be clear, JB's referring to "people here" as in the people he lives with, not us. We tend to care slightly more.

lol thank you for your clarification, actually what I meant is people here locally. In my town.... and in the cities around here in California. This is how the churches teach them to be around here. They are deeply fundamentalist Christians i'm talking about.

Personally I live alone, just my cat and my dog. I'm glad I can live alone, if I had to live with family I'd prolly be dead by now.

Big Grin
28-03-2017, 02:06 AM
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  I was away from my parents at college when I started my relationship with Jesus.
In a relationship people usually communicate with each other? How does Jesus communicate with you? Does he talk to you? Do you hear voices? What else?

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  I think Christianity is the one true religion. Pentecostal, Apostolic, Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Presbyterian, etc. are the same in many respects. .
It doesnt matter where they agree on, it matters where they disagree! If they disagree, at least one must be wrong!
Those (and thousands many other denominations) contradict each other in various and fundamental aspects. Arianism, Catholicism, Protestantism, Catharism, Orthodoxy. Some of those claim Jesus was human, some claim he was god, some claim he was something in between. How do you reconcile this? Do these contradictions not bother you? Do you not mind believing in contradictory things?

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  However, you can watch testimonies on YouTube where people talk about being sent to Hell after God's wrath and judgment and were rescued by Jesus. .
Is YT the reason you believe, or is ist just your way of defending your belief. To be honest, i would find both appaling.

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  My faith will stand.
Does that mean you proclaim not to change your mind? You arent open minded? You arent here for honest discussion? I wouldnt proclaim such things before i have heared the other persons argument
If your "faith will stand", then why are you here?
Whom are you telling this to? I have this strange feeling, you are telling this to yourself rather.

(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  Only if religion is abused should it be considered indoctrination.
Pease define "abuse", or complete your sentence respectively: abused...what for?

So, if honest and decent muslims teach their child to be a honest and decent muslim, and if we all knew that in fact only the christian god exists and Islam is all wrong....would you be ok with those partens, because the didnt "abuse" their child?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
28-03-2017, 02:32 AM
(27-03-2017 09:52 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 09:38 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  And any religion that tells a child that they will burn in hell, forever, qualifies as abuse.

This, right here, is one of the primary reasons that I will never become a Christian. If it were up to me, there would be laws in place worldwide against such indoctrination. Frightening a child with tales of hellfire causes lasting psychological damage.

> When I was a kid back in the 1950's, fear was an essential part of Catholic indoctrination. I had serious problems with depression all through my youth. Sad
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
28-03-2017, 03:14 AM
(27-03-2017 03:31 PM)alyssa2017 Wrote:  My faith will stand.
Does that mean you proclaim not to change your mind? You arent open minded? You arent here for honest discussion? I wouldnt proclaim such things before i have heared the other persons argument
If your "faith will stand", then why are you here?
Whom are you telling this to? I have this strange feeling, you are telling this to yourself

She is here I suspect because she is a very young nieve newly and very heavy indoctrinated christian, overflowing with confidence that she perceives as an outpouring of the holy spirit and as such she is also convinced she just has to show up here give testimony and all the atheists will fall to their knees in the light of her brilliance and start worshiping Jesus. Drinking Beverage
Move over and pass the popcorn guys, although I suspect the movie is nearly over. Popcorn
[+] 6 users Like adey67's post