Questions That Led Me to Atheism #1

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-01-2014, 04:31 PM
RE: Questions That Led Me to Atheism #1
(27-01-2014 11:55 AM)anidominus Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 01:07 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I hope you don't mean to argue that no one could possibly know god's intention, or perhaps even his nature. That would put you quite out of the argument, since so much of its continuance relies on you doing that very thing. Next time you start to type, ask yourself where you have acquired the authority to speak for god, or from what equally unworthy source have you borrowed it?

In my opinion, the answer to this is obvious. Only those indoctrinated, usually from infancy, cannot figure out why evidence is so important. They have to begin with god existing as their conclusion. It was not a debate when they were told about him as a child, he simply existed, or so they were told. Only adults have the maturity to ask for evidence, and by then the work of the faithful is long since done. I do not think any other influence is quite as common and difficult to overcome as childhood indoctrination of non-factual information. Where does one begin when basic facts about reality have been askew in the mind since birth?

I only know what God tells me through his word and the prophets. Other than that I don't know anything.

Atheist are the ones who are always saying, "A loving god would do this.... a loving god would do that..." so I ask them have they ever been god? The answer is always no. So how do they know what a God would do?

How would you know what God would do? We don't have any words that anyone can show are from God, and there is no reason to believe any so-called prophet.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2014, 04:35 PM
(27-01-2014 11:55 AM)anidominus Wrote:  Atheist are the ones who are always saying, "A loving god would do this.... a loving god would do that..." so I ask them have they ever been god? The answer is always no. So how do they know what a God would do?

There may be a few of us here who answer that question "Why yes, yes I have. Why do you ask?" Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-01-2014, 01:08 AM
(27-01-2014 03:25 PM)anidominus Wrote:  Can not God ask questions he already knows the answer? Is there some law that says he can't?

Yes, there is a law that says he can't. It's called "perfection". A perfect god doesn't ask questions he already knows the answers to, since being patronizing is resoundingly not perfect.

Quote: God desires a personal relationship with you.

If god wants to go to the prom with me, he can ask me himself. That said, a relationship is going a bit far. It's creepy. Wink

Quote: You can speak to him about anything, not just about what you want. I'm not going to sit here and say you'll get an audio reply but I think many of the things I've wondered, asked for, talked about has been answered.

I am aware I can talk to myself about anything. I just don't. The reason you aren't claiming to get a reply is because no one sane ever does.

Look, if I can recreate your "answers" with an hour or two of quiet reflection and a drink, you aren't getting divine inspiration. It's just you talking yourself into the solution you already knew was the right thing to do.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 4 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
28-01-2014, 05:55 PM
(28-01-2014 01:08 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Yes, there is a law that says he can't. It's called "perfection". A perfect god doesn't ask questions he already knows the answers to, since being patronizing is resoundingly not perfect.

"Perfection" doesn't have anything to do with that. lol Good try though.

Quote: God desires a personal relationship with you.

I didn't say he wanted to fuck you in the ass.

Quote:I am aware I can talk to myself about anything. I just don't. The reason you aren't claiming to get a reply is because no one sane ever does.

smh, OK

Quote:Look, if I can recreate your "answers" with an hour or two of quiet reflection and a drink, you aren't getting divine inspiration. It's just you talking yourself into the solution you already knew was the right thing to do.

If you say so. lol
[+] 1 user Likes anidominus's post
28-01-2014, 07:04 PM
(28-01-2014 05:55 PM)anidominus Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 01:08 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Yes, there is a law that says he can't. It's called "perfection". A perfect god doesn't ask questions he already knows the answers to, since being patronizing is resoundingly not perfect.

"Perfection" doesn't have anything to do with that. lol Good try though.

Dark Phoenix, perfect gods sandbag all the time. Don't you know that? Also, perfection only matters when it's convenient. Otherwise, it's out of context, or something. Don't you know that, too?

On a related note, when I was a Christian, apologetics worked real well for me up until they didn't (yes, that's a tautology). One day, I stopped finding them comforting and realized that I could only reconcile my (non-falsifiable) belief system if I kept adding more and more layers of non-falsifiability to it. One day, I wondered why I was so serious about believing a religion I was obviously making up as I went along. I couldn't believe the one I was taught, so I just started running with it.

Cognitive dissonance is weird. And a bitch. It's also a bitch.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
28-01-2014, 07:56 PM
(28-01-2014 05:55 PM)anidominus Wrote:  I didn't say he wanted to fuck you in the ass.

Nice talk, Christian.

[Image: rolling-eyes-gif-400.gif]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
29-01-2014, 01:40 PM
(28-01-2014 07:56 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 05:55 PM)anidominus Wrote:  I didn't say he wanted to fuck you in the ass.

Nice talk, Christian.

[Image: rolling-eyes-gif-400.gif]

Hmm... I can find no reference in scripture where any of the words I used or the context in which I used them constitute any bad behavior on my part.
30-01-2014, 12:08 AM
(29-01-2014 01:40 PM)anidominus Wrote:  Hmm... I can find no reference in scripture where any of the words I used or the context in which I used them constitute any bad behavior on my part.

For once, I find myself on your side. You can use whatever language you want.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx