Questions That Led Me to Atheism #2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2014, 10:34 PM
RE: Questions That Led Me to Atheism #2
(02-02-2014 03:42 PM)anidominus Wrote:  
Quote: I also don't think this kind of spreading of information makes sense if god really wanted people to know about it, and believe it. I think a powerful god like that, would do better. I really don't think it would be any trouble for him.

This is a constant problem atheist have. You've never been God so why on earth do you think you know how one would behave?

Why do theist and deists seem to have the inside track on gods behaviors, wishes, and plans? I am not god, you are not god, god simply does not exist, and you are a hypocritical jackass.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2014, 10:55 PM
(02-02-2014 08:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I don't think I understand what you are saying here. In what way has technology replaced faith?

People in the US are no longer use to requiring Faith to keep themselves well. They just go to the doctor and get a shot or a pill. I don't need to have faith that this staph infection will go away. I just go get a shot. Faith would come in to play of the doctors says... in 6 months... your ass is dead.

Quote:I do not think pointing out the ease in which unlimited power is applied says anything about the mind of god. Neither does pointing out that the bible is piss poor when it comes to relying accurate information.

When ever you use language which suggest what God could do to achieve some Goal, especially his own. You're basically telling him how he should run his business. "This ought to be easy for you.... That ought to be simple. Why don't you do it this way?"

In addition, the information in the bible is fine. You have to study it. You have no interest in studying it. All you want to do is make excuses as to why God isn't showing up in your life (or whoever) on YOUR TERMS.

Quote:You don't have to be something, to understand its nature.

But you sure as hell have to study it. You're not going to look at it once and think you have it all figured out.

Quote:Actually, their rejection doesn't make any difference at all. Disbelief and accusations of being Satan are not evidence.

I must have misunderstood your question. I thought you asked me is what Jesus did proof. You saw my response.

Quote:This doesn't address my point. Did they not also perform wonders? Even if their wonders did not compare to that of Moses, how can we not assume they were in some way divine? Do we not make that exact inference when Jesus heals the blind?

It does address your point. Yahweh proved he was more powerful. If all you know is snake oil salesman then fine. But when the real deal comes along and actually solves your problem. Recognize it.

Quote:I did all of these things as a young man. He didn't enter my life, and he didn't give me his name. Nothing happened.

So either Yahweh is a liar you're not who you think you are. Guess which one I'm betting on? You're like the Rich Young Ruler who thought he had it all and had done everything right, but he had a problem and when it was exposed, he walked away.

Quote:So, did you mean to say originally that following was key, not "worshiping"? Why do you feel safer here? Plenty of people here don't follow, even if they do believe.

Why would you worship something and not follow? I don't even get how you confused this. We use to follow, not perfectly, but we use to, now everybody does what they think is right in their own eyes. Guess how that works out?

Quote:America will fail regardless, as do all major powers. They eventually fall. There is no evidence that belief in Yahweh affects this cycle. Many empires have come and gone without a single believer in him.

The Catholic Church as been around 1700+ years. It has continued to survivle every scandal to which is was involved. The Jewish people are probably the only people to have maintained their original name who are also in their capital city even after losing it for nearly 2000 years. Say Again?

Quote:I wonder if you would consider such an ultimatum to be a "choice" if it were put to you. If a torturer held a flaming brand to your eye and offered you the "choice" of admitting your guilt, or suffering a severe burn and then blindness, would you really think "well at least he is being reasonable enough to let me choose."

smh... ye of little understanding. All God is asking you to do is repent of your sins. I suppose you think. Murder, Bearing False Witness, Adultery, Envy, Dishonoring your parents. Making a day to focus on your Creator, not using the Creators name in a manner he has not authorized, not Creating God in your image and worship God are just so horrible things to do. Its just too hard.

Quote:This disgusting charade of free will is not a choice. It is an ugly threat.

Says the man who doesn't mind sending people to a cage to rot away if they break a law.

Quote:Not only have you been fooled, but you are a fool.

I suppose we'll just have to see then won't we.
02-02-2014, 11:16 PM
(02-02-2014 10:55 PM)anidominus Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 08:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I don't think I understand what you are saying here. In what way has technology replaced faith?

People in the US are no longer use to requiring Faith to keep themselves well. They just go to the doctor and get a shot or a pill. I don't need to have faith that this staph infection will go away. I just go get a shot. Faith would come in to play of the doctors says... in 6 months... your ass is dead.

Again, some of the most retarded statements from a believer. Understanding the affliction/disease, and the appropriate medical treatment is what works - not faith. Friggin absurd to suggest more emphasis on faith, rather than modern medicine. The message here is idiotic at best!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
03-02-2014, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 03:26 PM by EvolutionKills.)

[Image: 73-sciencebitches.png]

Well, people go get the shot because it fucking works; unlike faith. Try to pray your leprosy away or sprinkle birds blood all about like it says to in the Bible. After that doesn't work, science can and will cure you of leprosy.

(02-02-2014 08:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I do not think pointing out the ease in which unlimited power is applied says anything about the mind of god. Neither does pointing out that the bible is piss poor when it comes to relying accurate information.
When ever you use language which suggest what God could do to achieve some Goal, especially his own. You're basically telling him how he should run his business. "This ought to be easy for you.... That ought to be simple. Why don't you do it this way?"

In addition, the information in the bible is fine. You have to study it. You have no interest in studying it. All you want to do is make excuses as to why God isn't showing up in your life (or whoever) on YOUR TERMS.

We're simply not making excuses for your god. Someone certainly is begging the question here, but it's not Dark Phoenix or myself.

(02-02-2014 08:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  You don't have to be something, to understand its nature.
But you sure as hell have to study it. You're not going to look at it once and think you have it all figured out.

True, but we're not assuming something exists before there is sufficient evidence to do so.

(02-02-2014 08:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Actually, their rejection doesn't make any difference at all. Disbelief and accusations of being Satan are not evidence.
I must have misunderstood your question. I thought you asked me is what Jesus did proof[sic]. You saw my response.

*proved

Also, you failed to do so. Anything Jesus supposedly said or did is hearsay stacked upon hearsay, and not proof of anything.

(02-02-2014 08:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  This doesn't address my point. Did they not also perform wonders? Even if their wonders did not compare to that of Moses, how can we not assume they were in some way divine? Do we not make that exact inference when Jesus heals the blind?
It does address your point. Yahweh proved he was more powerful. If all you know is snake oil salesman then fine. But when the real deal comes along and actually solves your problem. Recognize it.

No, we recognizes the most popular snake-oil salesman as just another snake-oil salesman. Being the most successful at deceiving people does not make you any less deceptive.

(02-02-2014 08:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I did all of these things as a young man. He didn't enter my life, and he didn't give me his name. Nothing happened.
So either Yahweh is a liar you're not who you think you are. Guess which one I'm betting on? You're like the Rich Young Ruler who thought he had it all and had done everything right, but he had a problem and when it was exposed, he walked away.

Nope. More like your personal subjective experience isn't proof for anyone who doesn't already believe. It does nothing to convince a skeptic, because it lacks any and all evidence. Also the divine have appeared before Mohamed, Joseph Smith, and the Buddha; the claims of Christianity and it's followers are not at all special or unique.

(02-02-2014 08:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  So, did you mean to say originally that following was key, not "worshiping"? Why do you feel safer here? Plenty of people here don't follow, even if they do believe.
Why would you worship something and not follow? I don't even get how you confused this. We use to follow, not perfectly, but we use to, now everybody does what they think is right in their own eyes. Guess how that works out?

An end to slavery, improved gender equality, and the spread of education and science that has increased our standard of living to the highest it's ever been in human history? Yeah, the godless Enlightenment has worked out pretty well for us I think. It's why we fight against the ignorant fundamentalists that would drag us all kicking and screaming back to the Medieval Dark Ages, the last time Christians ruled unquestionably with 'divine authority'.

(02-02-2014 08:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  America will fail regardless, as do all major powers. They eventually fall. There is no evidence that belief in Yahweh affects this cycle. Many empires have come and gone without a single believer in him.
The Catholic Church as been around 1700+ years. It has continued to survivle[sic] every scandal to which is was involved. The Jewish people are probably the only people to have maintained their original name who are also in their capital city even after losing it for nearly 2000 years. Say Again?

Not proof for a god, only more evidence of human gullibility. Drinking Beverage

(02-02-2014 08:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I wonder if you would consider such an ultimatum to be a "choice" if it were put to you. If a torturer held a flaming brand to your eye and offered you the "choice" of admitting your guilt, or suffering a severe burn and then blindness, would you really think "well at least he is being reasonable enough to let me choose."
smh... ye of little understanding. All God is asking you to do is repent of your sins. I suppose you think. Murder, Bearing False Witness, Adultery, Envy, Dishonoring your parents. Making a day to focus on your Creator, not using the Creators name in a manner he has not authorized, not Creating God in your image and worship God are just so horrible things to do. Its just too hard.

Please provide evidence for the existence of 'sin', in addition to how one measures, changes, transfers, destroys, or any other way in which this 'sin' interacts with the world. Until you do, it gets put up on the same shelf with karma, auras, and meridians; right next to all of the other shit we have no evidence for and no reason to believe exists.

Also, your god is petty as fuck if he's truly bothered about the 'unauthorized use of his name'. What the hell is he, a Disney copyright lawyer? Weeping

(02-02-2014 08:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  This disgusting charade of free will is not a choice. It is an ugly threat.
Says the man who doesn't mind sending people to a cage to rot away if they break a law.

Prisons are a part of our society, that we are a part of and have influence over. It is possible to create a police state (much like Soviet Russia), or a society with little need for such prisons (such as most of Northern Europe). We do so to separate those who would cause harm from the rest of society, and this is one method we have come up with using our limited means. One can't help but snicker at the laughable lack of imagination that your supposedly omni-max creator has when it comes to dealing with 'transgressors'. It speaks to the ignorance of ancient fables interpreted through many ignorant filters, than anything one would reasonably expect from a 'superior' anything.

(02-02-2014 08:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Not only have you been fooled, but you are a fool.
I suppose we'll just have to see then won't we.

That we will, but I suspect that once you know the 'truth' you won't be able to do anything about it. Nonexistence has that affect on people.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
03-02-2014, 12:42 AM
(03-02-2014 12:18 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That we will, but I suspect that once you know the 'truth' you won't be able to do anything about it. Nonexistence has that affect on people.

EK I have to give you and DarkPhoenix props on taking the time to respond in such civilized and complete manner. Thumbsup

When I read anusdominus I'm left paralyzed like a deer in the headlights Blink the woo is too deep to process.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
03-02-2014, 02:28 AM
(02-02-2014 10:55 PM)anidominus Wrote:  People in the US are no longer use to requiring Faith to keep themselves well. They just go to the doctor and get a shot or a pill. I don't need to have faith that this staph infection will go away. I just go get a shot. Faith would come in to play of the doctors says... in 6 months... your ass is dead.

Hmmmm.... So actual medicine heals better than just wishing you were well? Who knew?

Quote:When ever you use language which suggest what God could do to achieve some Goal, especially his own. You're basically telling him how he should run his business. "This ought to be easy for you.... That ought to be simple. Why don't you do it this way?"

I don't think you really believe that god's will can't be scrutinized or anticipated, considering that your entire belief relies upon knowing that information. If you really believed that humans have no place speaking on behalf of god, you wouldn't believe what you read in the bible.

Given the attributes of perfection, omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence, anyone can infer the behavior of the individual in question. It becomes a matter of math. No mind reading necessary. It is logic.

That isn't speaking on behalf of god, or making statements about how he "ought" to run the universe. It's just reasoning, based on the description of god believed by the faithful.

Quote:In addition, the information in the bible is fine. You have to study it. You have no interest in studying it. All you want to do is make excuses as to why God isn't showing up in your life (or whoever) on YOUR TERMS.

I have studied the bible, cover to cover, many times, over many years. Why didn't you ask me if I had before you just assumed? Didn't you think that would be rude? Did you really think that I would dismiss the faith of my youth without a careful study of its holy text?

You dismissed Islam entirely with the poor excuse of "I don't care". That is not enough for me when it comes to the bible. Not everyone is as careless with theology as you are.

Honestly, you sound like you are just rehearsing a prepared monologue about unbelievers whenever you talk about what you think I believe. You don't ask me, you just spew your own idea of what I might be thinking and doing. It is the very definition of prejudice. I am doing my best to take you at your word, even if I do not agree. I would appreciate the same in return.

During the process of de-conversion from my faith the only thing I had to make excuses for was my religion and faith. I am compelled to my current position. I did not choose it. I spent plenty of years in religion, definitely enough for god to approach me on his terms, which he could still do.

This is an honest question. How has god entered your life and told you his name? What convinced you of this? How is god in your life?

Quote:I must have misunderstood your question. I thought you asked me is what Jesus did prove. You saw my response.

I asked you how anyone could know if the miracles of Jesus made him god. Couldn't they just make him a wizard like the priests of the Pharaoh?

You answered that not everyone was convinced by Jesus's miracles, which doesn't answer the question. Whether they are convinced or not doesn't change anything about whether or not it was real.

Quote:It does address your point. Yahweh proved he was more powerful. If all you know is snake oil salesman then fine. But when the real deal comes along and actually solves your problem. Recognize it.

You are conflicting with your self on this subject. Do you believe in the existence of other gods than Yahweh or not? If you do not, than how do you explain the wonders of the priests? Where do they draw their divine authority for wonders?

Be careful. Saying that their miracles are not divine is not a consistent answer, since I could dismiss Jesus on the same basis.

Quote:So either Yahweh is a liar you're not who you think you are.

No. Those are definitely not the only possibilities, even if they were plausible.

So, Yahweh isn't a liar? How do you know? According to you, we can't make inferences about what god might do or not do. Who are you to speak for god? Have you been god before? Why are your arguments so inconsistent? You only apply points when you think they work in your favor. You are not being honest with me, or yourself.

Quote:you're not who you think you are

What does this even mean? This is a meaningless statement. At it's most intelligible, you seem to be trying to make guesses about what I think. Not great, considering you can't read minds via the internet, let alone under other circumstances.

Quote:Why would you worship something and not follow? I don't even get how you confused this. We use to follow, not perfectly, but we use to, now everybody does what they think is right in their own eyes. Guess how that works out?

It's called religious moderation. Some people believe in god, but don't go to church. They worship, but they don't follow all the rules. You can't seriously have not noticed these people?

To say that the USA was more fundamentally Christian, and actively so, in the past is at least plausible. Claiming that everyone has turned away from that nowadays, is ignorant. The US is still mostly Christian, and there are plenty of devout people still.

Quote:The Catholic Church as been around 1700+ years. It has continued to survive every scandal to which is was involved. The Jewish people are probably the only people to have maintained their original name who are also in their capital city even after losing it for nearly 2000 years. Say Again?

Paganism and Wicca have been around longer than Catholicism, and they have survived the witch hunts of Christianity. Does that make them supported by an even better god? The Roman Empire was successful when they believed in many gods, but after they converted to Christianity the empire fell.

If you continue to assert claims based on historical coincidence, you should at least be consistent in what you consider to be evidence. There is a reason this kind of baseless conjecture is not evidence. It can be used to make any hypothesis seem valid, assuming one chooses the perfect coincidence in history.

Honestly, your link between historical success and religious belief is just wrong. Wrong as in, "the sun revolves around the earth" wrong. It is factually incorrect.

Quote:smh... ye of little understanding. All God is asking you to do is repent of your sins. I suppose you think. Murder, Bearing False Witness, Adultery, Envy, Dishonoring your parents. Making a day to focus on your Creator, not using the Creators name in a manner he has not authorized, not Creating God in your image and worship God are just so horrible things to do. Its just too hard.

Just to recap, so I can fully explore the immorality of your argument,

(02-02-2014 10:55 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I wonder if you would consider such an ultimatum to be a "choice" if it were put to you. If a torturer held a flaming brand to your eye and offered you the "choice" of admitting your guilt, or suffering a severe burn and then blindness, would you really think "well at least he is being reasonable enough to let me choose."

This disgusting charade of free will is not a choice. It is an ugly threat. Do you seriously intend to defend the "reasonable" attitude of an impending psychopath? Not only is this immoral and deeply disturbing, but so are you for believing it to be true. Not only have you been fooled, but you are a fool.

At what point in all of this thuggish brutality are we to be reminded of gods benevolence and love for us?

Quote:smh... ye of little understanding. All God is asking you to do is repent of your sins. I suppose you think. Murder, Bearing False Witness, Adultery, Envy, Dishonoring your parents. Making a day to focus on your Creator, not using the Creators name in a manner he has not authorized, not Creating God in your image and worship God are just so horrible things to do. Its just too hard.

So, your argument is still, "Well. He really isn't being all that unreasonable. You should just choose to not suffer for eternity."

"God is asking" is not a description of this situation. Asking implies an ability to say no and not be brutalized and demeaned. "manner he has not authorized" Do you even hear yourself? Read that out loud to yourself, and tell me honestly whether or not you are free? Are you really a thinking adult person, or do you just do what your dictator tells you to?

Your mentality is that of a slave, and a self righteously proud one at that. You are literally in favor of the demands of a psychopath who is threatening to torture his own children. Not only do you accept this ultimatum as being just, but you support it and consider it moral. In fact, without it, you could not be moral. This gun to your head is why you think you should be moral.

I observe all of the moral laws that you listed, not because I fear god, but because I am a decent, kind, person. Morality is innate in me, in my empathy and my capacity to understand the needs of others.

You disgust me, profoundly. Your opinion is harmful, immoral, reprehensible, and unworthy of a thinking person.

Quote:Says the man who doesn't mind sending people to a cage to rot away if they break a law.

Ah. The grand intellectual tradition of pulling one's argument directly from one's own anus. Well done. I have never said that I support imprisonment. I haven't even discussed this topic at all with you, or anyone else on this forum ever. Even if I had, are you actually saying that an eternity of torture somehow compares to even a full lifetime in prison? This isn't a perspective, its just factually wrong. They aren't remotely equal.

(02-02-2014 10:55 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Not only have you been fooled, but you are a fool.
Quote:I suppose we'll just have to see then won't we.

No. It's too late now. We can all see it.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 4 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
03-02-2014, 03:44 AM
anidominus Wrote:But I can tell you with 80% certainty why those things happened. ...And the organized church at the time wouldn't even allow them to read the bible for themselves.

So you're only 80% sure of the above,but 100% sure of the below:

anidominus Wrote:...God will allow you to spend an eternity in Hell if that's your choice.

Yet....there is this:

anidominus Wrote:You really have to go to bible study and have some bible instruction. Some parts are literal, some parts are literal but you have to understand the underlying custom. Some are symbolic. some is just historical. You only figure it out with bible study.

I'm about to say some contradictory.... lol

If you want to not understand anything about the Bible. Just Read it.

What a mess. Especially in light of this:

anidominus Wrote:Now, just because scripture is inspired by God does not mean everything in it is true or should be followed.
[SOURCE]

Just like every other christian who feels the need to get in someone's face, you're a prisoner of your own device.
You are consistently inconsistent and unable to post anything about your beliefs without inserting your ego and always a touch of your self righteousness.

You would do well in asking questions, instead of...

anidominus Wrote:I came here to answer as many questions as I could. That's it. I didn't come here to change anyone's mind.

There is nothing in your "answers" that we all haven't heard countless times before.

Not only from the nonbelievers view are your words not new or even original, but from my view as a believer, I add Pharisaical.

Stop talking at these people and start listening to them.

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
[+] 6 users Like Kestrel's post
03-02-2014, 09:16 AM
(03-02-2014 12:42 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 12:18 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That we will, but I suspect that once you know the 'truth' you won't be able to do anything about it. Nonexistence has that affect on people.

EK I have to give you and DarkPhoenix props on taking the time to respond in such civilized and complete manner. Thumbsup

When I read anusdominus I'm left paralyzed like a deer in the headlights Blink the woo is too deep to process.

Agreed, they do do a bang up job of exposing the lunacy of those posts. I get two sentences in my reponse and find myself screaming bad words in my head! Unfortunately though, the wisdom is falling on deaf ears, as so often it does.

— Dan Barker —
03-02-2014, 01:30 PM
(02-02-2014 10:34 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Why do theist and deists seem to have the inside track on gods behaviors, wishes, and plans? I am not god, you are not god, god simply does not exist, and you are a hypocritical jackass.

Hmmm, as a deist, I'm pretty sure that we don't claim to have any inside track on god's behaviour, wishes or plans.

Deists believe in a creator that does not communicate to humans through miracles, revelation or ancient texts. Anything we know about the creator is known through the combination of reason/intelligence and observation of that creator's work (aka the Universe). I don't claim to have any inside track to anything. You guys get the same universe to look at as I do.

Not trying to convince anyone, just trying to clarify that you shouldn't lump deists in with religious theists in that regard.
[+] 2 users Like lookingforanswers's post
03-02-2014, 03:18 PM
(03-02-2014 01:30 PM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 10:34 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Why do theist and deists seem to have the inside track on gods behaviors, wishes, and plans? I am not god, you are not god, god simply does not exist, and you are a hypocritical jackass.

Hmmm, as a deist, I'm pretty sure that we don't claim to have any inside track on god's behaviour, wishes or plans.

Deists believe in a creator that does not communicate to humans through miracles, revelation or ancient texts. Anything we know about the creator is known through the combination of reason/intelligence and observation of that creator's work (aka the Universe). I don't claim to have any inside track to anything. You guys get the same universe to look at as I do.

Not trying to convince anyone, just trying to clarify that you shouldn't lump deists in with religious theists in that regard.

Fair enough - my bad to treat both equally in this regard, but I have witnessed folks who call themselves deists make some claims about God that appear to be nothing more than speculation and opinion.

— Dan Barker —