Questions That Led Me to Atheism #3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2014, 12:16 PM
RE: Questions That Led Me to Atheism #3
(26-01-2014 04:54 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(24-01-2014 09:45 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY got us to the moon. You are a fucking idiot.

Haven't you heard of faith engines? 10 parts faith mixed with 1 part cynicism leads to an explosive combination.

Before JFK said we were going to the moon even though he had no evidence we could do it. NASA had no plans to do so. You're the idiot. But then again, I have to give you some benefit of the doubt since you are completely clueless how faith works. so I take it back. you're not an idiot, just ignorant.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2014, 12:23 PM
(26-01-2014 12:16 PM)anidominus Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 04:54 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Haven't you heard of faith engines? 10 parts faith mixed with 1 part cynicism leads to an explosive combination.

Before JFK said we were going to the moon even though he had no evidence we could do it. NASA had no plans to do so. You're the idiot. But then again, I have to give you some benefit of the doubt since you are completely clueless how faith works. so I take it back. you're not an idiot, just ignorant.

Anidominus,
The Russians landed Luna2 on the moon 2 years before JFK and Marilyn Monroe were making whoopie in the White House. Was it faith that got them there? From there it was a short step to landing a man on the moon.
Doc
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
26-01-2014, 08:44 PM
(26-01-2014 12:10 PM)anidominus Wrote:  Off the top of my head, I don't know.
I don't know that either, all land animals I suppose.
I have no idea.
Because as the bible states at some point the earth was dived.

There's no way all the different species of animals would have fit on the ark. I suppose you could get into baraminology to try to handwave it away, but I'm assuming you haven't heard of baramins.

Tectonic plate movement is fairly well understood, and it certainly didn't happen post-Genesis. You have to make a lot of bizarre assumptions to believe in the flood story in Genesis.

You're best off just writing it off as a metaphor, or something. A lot of Christians do. My wife does. To try and defend it will only take you down the path of willfully rejecting science and defending an overt child-murderer. You don't want to do that. It only ends in tears/trolling on the internet*.

* I've met one of the latter. He's a truly horrifying individual. Boasting about how your God has no moral imperative to not kill children gets real creepy real fast.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
27-01-2014, 03:35 PM
(26-01-2014 12:23 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 12:16 PM)anidominus Wrote:  Before JFK said we were going to the moon even though he had no evidence we could do it. NASA had no plans to do so. You're the idiot. But then again, I have to give you some benefit of the doubt since you are completely clueless how faith works. so I take it back. you're not an idiot, just ignorant.

Anidominus,
The Russians landed Luna2 on the moon 2 years before JFK and Marilyn Monroe were making whoopie in the White House. Was it faith that got them there? From there it was a short step to landing a man on the moon.
Doc

I was thinking in terms of sending a man to the moon considering that was the speech JFK gave was about.
27-01-2014, 04:29 PM
(27-01-2014 03:35 PM)anidominus Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 12:23 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Anidominus,
Doc

I was thinking in terms of sending a man to the moon considering that was the speech JFK gave was about.

Faith did not get us to the moon. Science, technology, hard work, inspiration, and perspiration did.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2014, 08:31 PM
(27-01-2014 03:35 PM)anidominus Wrote:  
(26-01-2014 12:23 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Anidominus,
Doc

You also said that NASA had no plans to go to the moon. On the contrary, they made at least 11 attempts to launch a lunar mission before JFK became the president.

Here's a quote from a Wiki article on Moon landings:

The U.S. Moon exploration program originated during the Eisenhower administration. In a series of mid-1950s articles in Collier's magazine, Wernher von Braun had popularized the idea of a manned expedition to the Moon to establish a lunar base. A manned Moon landing posed several daunting technical challenges to the U.S. and USSR. Besides guidance and weight management, atmospheric re-entry without ablative overheating was a major hurdle. After the Soviet Union's launch of Sputnik, von Braun promoted a plan for the United States Army to establish a military lunar outpost by 1965.

The point is this: Do NOT make claims that cannot be backed up. Or at least make claims that CAN'T be refuted.

Cordially,

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
29-01-2014, 02:09 PM
(27-01-2014 08:31 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 03:35 PM)anidominus Wrote:  I was thinking in terms of sending a man to the moon considering that was the speech JFK gave was about.

You also said that NASA had no plans to go to the moon. On the contrary, they made at least 11 attempts to launch a lunar mission before JFK became the president.

Here's a quote from a Wiki article on Moon landings:

The U.S. Moon exploration program originated during the Eisenhower administration. In a series of mid-1950s articles in Collier's magazine, Wernher von Braun had popularized the idea of a manned expedition to the Moon to establish a lunar base. A manned Moon landing posed several daunting technical challenges to the U.S. and USSR. Besides guidance and weight management, atmospheric re-entry without ablative overheating was a major hurdle. After the Soviet Union's launch of Sputnik, von Braun promoted a plan for the United States Army to establish a military lunar outpost by 1965.

The point is this: Do NOT make claims that cannot be backed up. Or at least make claims that CAN'T be refuted.

Cordially,

Doc

Like I told the other guy, landing a man on the moon.
Also, if you want to pull teeth over a plan being drawn up by 1 man vs a program conceived by Eisenhower vs JFK making a commitment to do it before anyone even knew how... then go right ahead. I don't have time for it.

I suggest you read all of Wikipedia before you try to get on somebody else about their lack of research.