Questions about Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2014, 05:28 PM
I have a couple general questions for people who would claim to not be a "Christian". Just things I want to know so I can develop more of an awareness of what others perceive about Christianity.

From your perspective and experiences:

What would you say being a Christian is all about?

What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?

Pretty basic questions. Nothing too difficult to answer right?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2014, 05:44 PM
RE: Questions about Christianity
Hmm. Consider

Believing in the christian god.

And the belief in a different god than other people who believe in whatever god they may believe in. That's about it, mileage may vary. All are unfounded beliefs, but humanity is slowly waking up to that fact.

You're right, that was easy! Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
18-10-2014, 05:56 PM
(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  Just things I want to know so I can develop more of an awareness of what others perceive about Christianity.

You should read Sam Harris' "Letter To A Christian Nation", Bertrand Russell's "Why I Am Not A Christian", Richard Dawkin's "The God Delusion", or Christopher Hitchens' "God Is Not Great" as a start.

Quote:What would you say being a Christian is all about?

Given that there are so many denominations that self-identify as Christian (over 40000 by some estimates), I don't see that Christians know what it is all about. If they can't tell, I sure can't.

Quote:What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?

ALL other worldviews? I see little difference between it and any other view based on mythology and superstition instead of reason and evidence.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 9 users Like unfogged's post
18-10-2014, 06:04 PM
(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  ...

What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?

Unfogged said what I was going to say so...

a) christianity is about finding justification for your personal morality.

b) Please list all the other worldviews so we can compare.

Thanks.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
18-10-2014, 06:26 PM
By asking the question: "What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?" I am wanting to know what you understand to be unique about Christianity. Another phrasing of the question I am trying to ask could be: What is unique about the Christian worldview? Anything? Then what? If nothing, then why is it not unique?

Thank you for your response!
18-10-2014, 06:27 PM
All of the responses so far are very informative! Thanks!
18-10-2014, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2014 07:46 PM by Reltzik.)
(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  I have a couple general questions for people who would claim to not be a "Christian". Just things I want to know so I can develop more of an awareness of what others perceive about Christianity.

1) Different people who identify as Christians will give you different answers, some extremely broad and general, some extremely narrow and restrictive, and often disagreeing with each other on the details. The common elements boil down to believing (even if only as a metaphor) in a narrative conforming at least roughly to the Bible (especially the New Testament), as well as the existence of the key figures of God and Jesus (however distinct or identical you view them), and finally some commitment to turn to Jesus as a leader, teacher, savior, or example.

2) Christianity has a world view? I thought it had dozens or hundreds of world views. Let's see. There's the Christian world view that says love all the world as your neighbor and love your neighbor as you love yourself, and then there's the Christian world view that says it's a holy war against Islam and wipe them all out. (I've talked to MINISTERS advocating this type of genocide.) There's the Christian world view that says to give away all your possessions to the poor, and then there's the Christian world view that says the poor are poor because of God's judgement, and you should look down on them for it and not give them one inch of help. Taken together, there are few world views that are not mirrored by some track of Christian thought, and few Christian world views that cannot be found echoed elsewhere. The particular beliefs aren't even unique, though the overall combination of them is distinctive enough to be (largely) distinguishable.

(EDIT-ADDITION): 3) There are a lot of simple questions that are difficult to answer. This is one of them. Either there's some true definition of Christianity (including some definitive world view) that's escaping the great majority of people who identify as Christians, or the true definition is so broad as to cover a wide, wide, wide range of behaviors and beliefs, or there is no "true" definition.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
18-10-2014, 07:03 PM
(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  I have a couple general questions for people who would claim to not be a "Christian". Just things I want to know so I can develop more of an awareness of what others perceive about Christianity.

'People who would claim to not be a Christian'? Dodgy

(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  What would you say being a Christian is all about?

Christianity is too fractured to accurately say what being an adherent is 'all about' as different sects all have different perspectives on... practically all of the things. If pressed, I'd go with "Being a Christian is centrally based on worshipping the character of Jesus and through him, Yahweh, with the goal of attaining passage to heaven."

(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?

I've heard the term 'Christian world view' tossed around a lot but I've never heard it defined, so I can't comment it it... Plus I bet if you asked a hundred christians independently from different sects you'd find roughly as many different answers.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
18-10-2014, 07:10 PM
(18-10-2014 06:26 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  Another phrasing of the question I am trying to ask could be: What is unique about the Christian worldview? Anything? Then what? If nothing, then why is it not unique?

There are certainly specific claims that are unique to Christianity but I don't think that is what you are trying to ask. There isn't much of anything that can't be found in other, usually older, religions. The specific combination of beliefs may be unique but it doesn't offer anything that can't be found elsewhere. From talking to many Christians it is pretty obvious that most pick and choose what they want to incorporate in their own personal theology and many include non-Christian components as well. The end result is that there seems to be as many Christian worldviews as there are Christians.

Asking non-Christians to define Christianity seems backwards. It might be more productive for you to say what you find unique about it and see where that goes.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
18-10-2014, 07:43 PM

Its all a rationalization to cover a hatred of Man, his mind and this world.

What is different is the belief in Christ.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick