Questions about Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2014, 07:59 PM
RE: Questions about Christianity
Generally speaking, believing in the God of the bible, believing that Jesus was the messiah and the things that go with those two thing. It gets messy that there are lots of different denominations that interpret what that means and how that should guide you. As a former catholic I can say it is interesting to see the differences.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2014, 08:26 PM
I don't think Christians themselves could give you a single "correct" definition of what it means to be Christian.
It seems it's gotten so muddied up over the years, that if an outsider who never heard of Christianity talked to two Christians of different denominations, they would not be able to tell they both believed in the same god.
My problem with Christianity is not that they can't all agree in how to worship, it's that they worship a god in the first place.
19-10-2014, 12:01 AM
There is nothing unique about the christian delusion when compared to other religious delusions. You're all feeding imaginary elephants that are different colors and then killing each other over whose imaginary elephant is really real.

Just a quick heads up for you. None of your elephants are real and they don't fly.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
19-10-2014, 09:55 AM
(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  I have a couple general questions for people who would claim to not be a "Christian". Just things I want to know so I can develop more of an awareness of what others perceive about Christianity.

The claim to not be Christian part is a bit insulting and condescending but as your following posts carry none of this I will assume it is an oversight or honest mistake.

For the time being.

Quote:From your perspective and experiences:

What would you say being a Christian is all about?

Different denominations believe different things on this. However the general consensus, and the reason I don't call myself a Christian, is that 1) you have to believe in a creator god, and I do not. 2) You have to believe that Jesus was divine or at the very least divinely inspired, and I do not. 3) You have to believe in a dualist theory of mind, that is that you have a soul which survives the body, which I do not.

Quote:What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?

Pretty basic questions. Nothing too difficult to answer right?

There's really nothing in a Christian worldview that is unique, especially since there is no consensus as to what a Christian worldview is. Some sects have unique points, some don't.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
19-10-2014, 10:07 AM
(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  I have a couple general questions for people who would claim to not be a "Christian".
Why the "Quotation" marks, Kemosabe?

Quote:Just things I want to know so I can develop more of an awareness of what others perceive about Christianity.
A worthy goal to be sure...

Quote:From your perspective and experiences:

Saying words on Sundays to make yourself feel good. Belonging to the group. Won't deny, Christian groups do good stuff. But IMO, that ain't what it's about.

Quote:What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?
What would you say is different from sugar pills and all other forms of placebo?

Quote:Pretty basic questions. Nothing too difficult to answer right?
Pretty vague and undefined questions...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
19-10-2014, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2014 10:39 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  I have a couple general questions for people who would claim to not be a "Christian". Just things I want to know so I can develop more of an awareness of what others perceive about Christianity.

From your perspective and experiences:

What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?

Christianity: The delusional belief that a cosmic Jewish miracle performing Zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

[Image: dr30ip.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 12 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
19-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Questions about Christianity
Natachan:
I was not trying to be condescending with my use of the words: "claim to not be a Christian". I was trying to communicate that I wanted responses from only non-Christians. I recently joined this forum and was not sure if there were any Christians on here. I just wanted responses from non-Christians. Thanks for your answers! Thanks for how thoroughly you communicated your own beliefs.
[+] 3 users Like Jgcarroll's post
19-10-2014, 11:53 AM

What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?

Well, I was never a Christian and actually didn't know who the hell Jesus was until I was around 9 years old to I guess I fit the description of a non-Christian.

1)What would you say being a christian is all about?

Beats me. It's a puzzlement. I don't get the attraction of the Jesus.

2)What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews.

I was never a Christian but the only thing I can figure is that Christians think they're superior because everyone else is going to hell. I have a human view of the world though and it's based on logic and reason and........ loving my cats! Yes! Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-10-2014, 12:03 PM
(18-10-2014 06:26 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  By asking the question: "What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?" I am wanting to know what you understand to be unique about Christianity. Another phrasing of the question I am trying to ask could be: What is unique about the Christian worldview? Anything? Then what? If nothing, then why is it not unique?

Thank you for your response!

There is nothing "unique" about any of the Christian worldviews that are around these days. Basically they're all based on ignorance and misrepresentation of the cultures that produced them. For example, if you ask a Christian "Did the ancient Hebrews believe in a heaven and hell" I would bet almost every answer would be "yes", and they would be completely wrong. The things Christians claim are unique ("love of neighbor", "golden rule", "salvation") are not unique to them in any way.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-10-2014, 12:23 PM

Being a Christian means belonging to one of more than 30,000 Christian denominations which have varying beliefs OR believing in one's own variation without belonging to a specific one.

I can't answer you second question since it would mean discussing over 30,000 variations which is clearly beyond the scope of a forum post. Consider

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post