Questions about Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2014, 02:50 PM
RE: Questions about Christianity
As a person who claims to not be all that tall and claims to not be a woman, I can say with all honesty that I really don't know what it's like to be a tall woman.
In much the same way, I really have no idea what it's like to have a full on delusion that has me talking to myself nearly every waking moment and thanking imaginary figments for such common things like, finding my keys, waking up, walking down the stairs, typing a word correctly, not stubbing my toe on the coffee table. The list literally could go on all day long.

The christian worldview is as strange to me as seeing through a fly's eyes.

As a follow up question. What do you think it might be like to think critically and analyze evidence as a basis for believing something ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
19-10-2014, 03:48 PM
(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  I have a couple general questions for people who would claim to not be a "Christian". Just things I want to know so I can develop more of an awareness of what others perceive about Christianity.

From your perspective and experiences:

What would you say being a Christian is all about?

What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?

Pretty basic questions. Nothing too difficult to answer right?

Most non-Christians on this forum know more about Christianity and the Bible than most Christians do, maybe even more than you do.

And now you're aware. Anything else we can help you with?
19-10-2014, 03:55 PM
(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  I have a couple general questions for people who would claim to not be a "Christian". Just things I want to know so I can develop more of an awareness of what others perceive about Christianity.

From your perspective and experiences:

What would you say being a Christian is all about?

Being delusional.

Quote:What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?

It's an unrealistic worldview. There are, of course, lots of unrealistic worldviews.

Quote:Pretty basic questions. Nothing too difficult to answer right?

Easy-peasy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Questions about Christianity
TheBear:

I respect how much you all have put into understanding Christianity.

Thanks for all the great responses everyone.

I'm good and have some helpful awareness.

Appreciate it!
19-10-2014, 04:58 PM
I don't much see a difference between Christianity and most other religions. Most believe in the tales in some old book, most think they are the only ones who know the truth.

I don't know if it's unique to Christians to think there is a guy in the sky watching each person's every action and thought and keeping track so he can decide whether to keep them or burn them.

Oh, and whether they burn or not depends on whether they worship this guy, not on whether they did good deeds or were good persons. You can be a wonderful human being and he'll burn you if you don't worship him.

He also says he is jealous and appears to love to unleash his wrath on humanity and wipe it out, or order the people to kill each other and each others babies and enslave the captured women.

Doesn't sound like someone I want to worship, that's for sure.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-10-2014, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2014 04:38 PM by TheBear.)
(19-10-2014 04:35 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  I respect how much you all have put into understanding Christianity.

You seem a bit misguided in all this. Your perception of non-Christians is quite askew.

Many of us used to be Christian, and most of us who used to be Christian had been thoroughly immersed in Christian doctrine from early childhood, and for years and decades, before waking up to the reality that it was all bullshit. The hard work is undoing years of damage. Trust me. Unraveling years of indoctrination and brainwashing doesn't go away over night. It takes hard work, but well worth the effort. So, please ditch the whole, "what we put into understanding Christianity", attitude. It's quite insulting. Thanks.
[+] 5 users Like TheBear's post
19-10-2014, 05:21 PM
(19-10-2014 05:11 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 04:35 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  I respect how much you all have put into understanding Christianity.

You seem a bit misguided in all this. Your perception of non-Christians is quite askew.

Many of us used to be Christians, and most of us who used to be Christians had been thoroughly immersed in Christian doctrine from early childhood, and for years and decades, before waking up to the reality that it was all bullshit. The hard work is undoing years of damage. Trust me. Unraveling years of indoctrination and brainwashing doesn't go away over night. It takes hard work, but well worth the effort. So, don't please ditch the whole, "what we put into understanding Christianity", attitude. Thanks.

This.

I am actually trained in church history and doctrine. Some of my family wanted me to be a catholic historian. Others wanted me to be aware of the doctrinal differences between my mom's Catholicism and their Protestantism. As such I am, as many others here are, very aware of Christian doctrines and teachings.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
19-10-2014, 06:04 PM
(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  What would you say being a Christian is all about?
Generally speaking, a belief in the Christian god, and usually the Messiah known as Yeshua/Jesus/Christ. The problem is, there tens of thousands of denominations, so that's about all they have in common.

(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?
This again depends on the denomination. Broadly they believe humans are inherently weak and pathetic without a life to their deity. Humans must therefore submit themselves wholeheartedly to a life that is material and strive for "not material." One day their god will swoop down and get rid of the bad ones. Then it would create a wondrous world for the ones who followed its rules. (But, again, the rules depend on what denomination you are.)

It differs from other worldviews. For instance, karma believers say your good deeds will move you up or down some sort of divine ladder. Christians don't believe this. They say you get this one chance to impress the Big Guy.

The worldview depends on the culture, tradition, and religion of the person. Some say we awaken from this life to go on. Even some Christians say when we die, we're in some sort of spiritual suspension until it all hits the fan.

Christians generally believe that Satan the Accuser is here to thwart God's plans. Some lean toward a belief that Satan is not evil but was charged to give us a choice. Others say he is some sort of trouble maker because he's pissed over getting kicked. They say the world's problems are because Satan is enticing us to do bad things to each other.

Worldview for Christians: The world is a material wasteland for us to overcome by submitting to their deity/deities to earn a good place in the next world.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
19-10-2014, 06:31 PM
(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  What would you say being a Christian is all about?
  • It's about believing you can live forever.
  • It's about believing that you were born worthless, worse than worthless, less than zero.
  • It's about believing that you bear the guilt of a misdemeanor committed by your mythical ancestors, but since the misdemeanor was committed against an infinite being it cannot be repaid even by infinite torture.
  • It's about believing that a loving god can command horrible atrocities because he/she/it is just. It's about believing these two opposites can be reconciled.
  • It's about believing that a man who claimed to be God was not insane.
  • It's about choosing one of 40,000 different cults, believing it's the true religion and that those in the other 39,999 cults are forever damned. I.e., it's about not knowing a damned thing about statistical probability.
  • It's about believing that a book with over 500 contradictions is 100% true.
  • It's about believing that someone else can pay the penalty for your guilt.
  • It's about believing that science is a conspiracy.
  • It's about convincing others that all of the above is true.
  • It's about NOT THINKING.
  • Worst of all, it's about teaching all of the above to your children.
(18-10-2014 05:28 PM)Jgcarroll Wrote:  What would you say is different from the Christian worldview and all other worldviews?
I can only speak for my own worldview.
  • It's about accepting my own mortality and making the best of the time I have.
  • It's about knowing that every human being has some worth. That's part of what it means to be human.
  • It's about accepting the guilt of my own misdeeds, making amends when I can and forgiving myself if I cannot.
  • It's about a realizing that bad things happen simply because bad things happen. Realizing that hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc. are not the wrath of a deity but simply the result of our living on an unstable planet. It about helping those caught in such disasters.
  • It's about thinking.
  • It's about rejoicing in the fact that I have been fortunate enough to live at a time when, after thousands of years, science has discovered, through research and reason, the principles of evolution and the big bang. Rejoicing in being among the first generation to truly know our origins.
  • And best of all, it's about teaching all of the above to my children.

Sapere aude
[+] 8 users Like f stop's post
19-10-2014, 07:19 PM
(19-10-2014 06:31 PM)f stop Wrote:  
  • It's about believing you can live forever.
  • It's about believing that you were born worthless, worse than worthless, less than zero.
  • It's about believing that you bear the guilt of a misdemeanor committed by your mythical ancestors, but since the misdemeanor was committed against an infinite being it cannot be repaid even by infinite torture.
  • It's about believing that a loving god can command horrible atrocities because he/she/it is just. It's about believing these two opposites can be reconciled.
  • It's about believing that a man who claimed to be God was not insane.
  • It's about choosing one of 40,000 different cults, believing it's the true religion and that those in the other 39,999 cults are forever damned. I.e., it's about not knowing a damned thing about statistical probability.
  • It's about believing that a book with over 500 contradictions is 100% true.
  • It's about believing that someone else can pay the penalty for your guilt.
  • It's about believing that science is a conspiracy.
  • It's about convincing others that all of the above is true.
  • It's about NOT THINKING.
  • Worst of all, it's about teaching all of the above to your children.
I can only speak for my own worldview.
  • It's about accepting my own mortality and making the best of the time I have.
  • It's about knowing that every human being has some worth. That's part of what it means to be human.
  • It's about accepting the guilt of my own misdeeds, making amends when I can and forgiving myself if I cannot.
  • It's about a realizing that bad things happen simply because bad things happen. Realizing that hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc. are not the wrath of a deity but simply the result of our living on an unstable planet. It about helping those caught in such disasters.
  • It's about thinking.
  • It's about rejoicing in the fact that I have been fortunate enough to live at a time when, after thousands of years, science has discovered, through research and reason, the principles of evolution and the big bang. Rejoicing in being among the first generation to truly know our origins.
  • And best of all, it's about teaching all of the above to my children.

ooooh I like this! Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)