Questions about being attacking for lack-of-beliefs.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2011, 06:40 PM
RE: Questions about being attacking for lack-of-beliefs.
I think that a lot of the time it's not really worth debating most Christians. I've got an entirely Christian family but whenever I debate them as soon as they get put on the back foot they just clam up and deny everything. Their beliefs require a large degree of irrationality and it kinda makes them impervious to rational argument most of the time.

My Dads a clever guy but when I pointed out the pointlessness of Jesus dying to forgive our sins if Gods omnipotent, he mumbled some rubbish about 'taking one for the team' and when I pointed out to my Grandma (also intelligent) that the Vaticans opposition LHC was probably that the media had stated it may 100% prove the Big Bang and they were worried about being shown up, she replied with 'no' (just 'no' in a rather condescending voice, no sort of reasoning against it).

When that's what you have to work with then it's a waste of time even bothering most of the time. I reckon that if it was 100% categorically, demonstrably proved that there is no deity of any kind then most of the religious community would keep their beliefs and claim that the science was wrong/falsified or that it was Gods way of testing our faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2011, 06:46 PM
RE: Questions about being attacking for lack-of-beliefs.
(24-04-2011 06:40 PM)hughsie Wrote:  I reckon that if it was 100% categorically, demonstrably proved that there is no deity of any kind then most of the religious community would keep their beliefs and claim that the science was wrong/falsified or that it was Gods way of testing our faith.

Yeah. I think you are right. Sad but true.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply