Questions about hypnotism and being "slain in the spirit"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Questions about hypnotism and being "slain in the spirit"
So obviously by my post count im new, I just became an atheist within the last year and my friend just linked me to the youtube videos today. After listening to a few of the podcasts I came across him talking about hypnotism. One thing that always bothered me about christianity was being "slain in the spirit." Its not that it freaked me out, the opposite actually, I was always told its one of the best blessings you can get and no matter how many people around me hit the floor, or how hard I prayed it would never happen to me. After years of fighting against faith finally I just said i can't explain this aspect but at the age of 25 I give up on fighting for religion and accepted being an Atheist. Well on the podcast I was listening to he said that not everyone could be hypnotized and thats how I felt slain in the spirit must be a form of and it would explain how it never happened to me. I really want to see if this is true for myself so does anyone else have any views on this matter, or does anyone know a way I could try to get hypnotized by some professional to test my theory?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2012, 08:23 PM
RE: Questions about hypnotism and being "slain in the spirit"
Hi and welcome to the forum Smile.

Sorry but what is meant by 'slain in the spirit'? It's not a phrase I've ever heard before.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
28-02-2012, 08:28 PM
(28-02-2012 08:07 PM)hollowpointm16 Wrote:  So obviously by my post count im new, I just became an atheist within the last year and my friend just linked me to the youtube videos today. After listening to a few of the podcasts I came across him talking about hypnotism. One thing that always bothered me about christianity was being "slain in the spirit." Its not that it freaked me out, the opposite actually, I was always told its one of the best blessings you can get and no matter how many people around me hit the floor, or how hard I prayed it would never happen to me. After years of fighting against faith finally I just said i can't explain this aspect but at the age of 25 I give up on fighting for religion and accepted being an Atheist. Well on the podcast I was listening to he said that not everyone could be hypnotized and thats how I felt slain in the spirit must be a form of and it would explain how it never happened to me. I really want to see if this is true for myself so does anyone else have any views on this matter, or does anyone know a way I could try to get hypnotized by some professional to test my theory?

Look up hypnotherapists in your area and make an appointment. The only problem is, they may want you to have a psychological reason for seeing them, rather than just trying to test a theory. But it certainly seems the case that certain people are susceptible to the power of suggestion in hypnosis and many are not.

As far as explaining how being slain in the spirit works, it's all about your ability to harness and use The Force.

And welcome to the Forum!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
28-02-2012, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2012 08:32 PM by hollowpointm16.)
In most of the churches I used to attend it was what they called it when people fainted while praying or worshiping.
Well I was thinking about looking into those stop smoking hypnotist sessions. But on a College student budget ill have to wait for the large group sessions to test it out.
28-02-2012, 08:57 PM
This might help. It's a show by Derren Brown (a mentalist/illusionist) that exposes all of the tricks in a faith healer's repertoire.

In direct answer to your question, a person "slain in the spirit" is struck in some way, usually on the forehead. That person understands this is a signal that they are to fall back, and because they are of a religious disposition they may feel other sensations along with it --- all manufactured internally. This is a form of hypnotism, and not everyone is susceptible to it (you have to play along, follow directions, and not resist). I know the show is long, but it's worth watching and will answer your questions nicely.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Thank you for the video, I was actually planning on looking this guy up because they talked about him in the podcast. Not to argue but just to put it out there, I was well open to being "slain in the spirit" I prayed and cried for god to have the same thing all the people around me were having. also none of them were touched on the head the day im thinking about specifically, bible camp back like 15 years ago.
28-02-2012, 11:25 PM
just finished watching the movie, it was really good, thank you for linking it.