Questions about the Atheistic Worldview

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2015, 07:25 PM
RE: Questions about the Atheistic Worldview
(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  ... I am offering you a constructive platform to present your worldview ...

Welcome to the forum.

Rather than answer your questions specifically, which several here have already done, I'll offer two observations which I think are important enough they should be incorporated into your paper:

1. There is no "atheist" worldview. Atheism is the absence of belief in gods. It is NOT a set of ideologisms, and most atheists will disagree among themselves, as do all human beings, about what's moral or immoral, just or unjust, factual or unfactual, cool or not cool. Therefore you'll find disagreement even in the answers given to your questions.

2. Non-religious thinkers have come up with answers to every one of those questions, and the important thing to recognize is that there ARE answers to those questions, very good answers, supported by scientific studies and substantial critical analysis. It's not a question of whether the conventional answers proferred by conventional religion should take precedence over answers from outside religion, or vice versa, it's a question of which answers, regardless of source, most closely match how the universe really works.

The sheer fact that there are multiple answers to these questions also means, to some extent, that the "actual" questions may not yet have been asked, that these questions, ancient as some of them are, are not yet on the proper rails of discovery, we don't know enough yet to know how to ask. We're asking questions about a map of London when what we're really trying to do is get to the Moon, but we don't realize it yet.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Airportkid's post
08-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Since your project is to interview someone who isn't christian I'll help a little.

I'm not going to answer your questions because that doesn't tell you anything about me or my life.

I was raised in a small town and as a child, had a natural curiosity about the world. I loved the outdoors and we had horses, so a lot of my time was spent riding. My father bred horses so from a very early age, I knew where babies came from.

As a teenager, my mother bought me a telescope and I searched the sky at night. It filled my mind with an awe like you can't believe.

My parents fostered within me a desire to learn and with a passion for science, I learned as much as I could. I read about astronomy, physics, engineering marvels of the world. I loved animals and was fascinated by the large diversity of life on the planet.

The discovery of truth and how we go about finding the truth is very important.

Observe life and seek truth. Do not settle for a convenient lie. This is what a professor told me in college. I've never forgotten it.

During my college years, I fell in love and for a short time we raised a son together. She died unexpectedly and I became a single parent. I'm now a grandfather and I've traveled all over this country living a wonderful life.

You ask how we got here.
I would ask, knowing that you are here, what have you done with your life ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
08-02-2015, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 09:02 AM by Drunkin Druid.)
(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  Hello members of TheThinkingAtheist,

I have a project for school for which I am to interview someone outside of the Christian faith. I figured this website would be a good place to look. If anyone could take the time to answer the following questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that I am not here to argue with you. Instead, I am offering you a constructive platform to present your worldview. As such, I ask that you please try to keep your answers in an objective tone and abstain from profanity as much as possible (this is a school project). Thanks again for your help.

1. How did we get here? (Origin) How do you explain the existence of human beings on this planet? How do explain the existence of the planet itself?

2. Why are we here? (Purpose) What are humans supposed to do with their lives? What is our purpose?

3. How do we know what is true and what's not? (Truth) How do you verify the truth of a statement or claim? What sources do you seek for wisdom, knowledge and information?

4. Where does evil come from? (Morality) How do you explain the existence of evil in the world?

5. How do we overcome evil? How can humanity improve and better itself? How can we achieve happiness? Is there a way to conquer the evil in this world?

6. What happens when we die? (Destiny) Is there an afterlife? What is it like? How does one get there?

There is a problem here you are not seeing. You are asking about the "atheistic worldview." This raises problems.
1) aliens
2) to serve the aliens
3) the aliens will tell us
4) the aliens did it to keep us from cooperating
5) the aliens will tell us when we are ready
6) we will leave earth on a flying saucer
This is a version of the atheistic worldview...
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
08-02-2015, 10:21 PM
1. How did we get here? (Origin) How do you explain the existence of human beings on this planet? How do explain the existence of the planet itself?

Answer - Evolution seems to be the most sensible theory but to be honest I do not really dwell on origins so much.

2. Why are we here? (Purpose) What are humans supposed to do with their lives? What is our purpose?

Answer - I do not believe in a purpose. Life is basically biological machines. We're not really supposed to do anything. In our DNA we want to survive. Animals don't really do anything either and that's all we are animals.

3. How do we know what is true and what's not? (Truth) How do you verify the truth of a statement or claim? What sources do you seek for wisdom, knowledge and information?

Answer - Common sense and experience are the things I rely on.

4. Where does evil come from? (Morality) How do you explain the existence of evil in the world?

Answer - There is no "evil" as such. There are people that suffer and starve which is what you're talking about I'm sure. These problems are symptoms of the human condition. Humans are selfish. Most of these problems are caused by humans but no one so far is willing to make any changes to the way the world works so to speak of to really do anything about it.

5. How do we overcome evil? How can humanity improve and better itself? How can we achieve happiness? Is there a way to conquer the evil in this world?

Answer - Already answered, see above.

6. What happens when we die? (Destiny) Is there an afterlife? What is it like? How does one get there?

Answer - All the evidence to me suggests nothing.
08-02-2015, 10:51 PM

I have a project for school for which I am to interview someone outside of the Christian faith. I figured this website would be a good place to look. If anyone could take the time to answer the following questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that I am not here to argue with you. Instead, I am offering you a constructive platform to present your worldview. As such, I ask that you please try to keep your answers in an objective tone and abstain from profanity as much as possible (this is a school project). Thanks again for your help.

1. Causality. Entities acting and interacting according to their nature.

2. Our purpose is to live according to our nature as Human beings. That means it is for each individual to decide what is in his own rational self interest and to pursue that course of action.

3. Reason, logic, reality.

4. Man's nature as a volitional being.

5. We overcome evil by doing good. Humanity can't improve itself, only individuals can. We can achieve happiness by pursuing rational goals. The way to conquer evil is by not sanctioning it. Evil has only the power that we give it.

6. I don't know.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
08-02-2015, 11:06 PM
Hello...

Quote:As such, I ask that you please try to keep your answers in an objective tone and abstain from profanity as much as possible (this is a school project). Thanks again for your help.
Rolleyes I suppose. You can hardly quote us if our answers are all "Fucking fucketty fucking fuck"... Teacher san will have a heart attack Big Grin

Quote:1. How did we get here? (Origin) How do you explain the existence of human beings on this planet? How do explain the existence of the planet itself?
... As I understand it, going right back to the beginning, the current best scientific answer is that around 13-15 billion years ago the universe exploded into being (aka Big Bang theory). There is good evidence to support this view - wikipedia article on the Big Bang has more. The solar system was formed from the collapse of a dust cloud in a nebula of the Milky Way galaxy, our galaxy. This process can still be observed in other galaxies.

After the planet formed life evolved, a process which took quite a while... Again, evolution is a good scientific theory with a lot of evidence to back it. We are a product of evolution.

Be aware that I personally, and most other people who accept these scientific explanations as fact, do not have in depth knowledge of these things, just that we know how scientists work to corroborate their findings (i.e. the scientific method), and therefore know that we can trust the scientific establishment to root out fraudulent claims. Unfortunately a lot of people with an agenda are now promoting weak pseudo-science, and go to great lengths to make it look legitimate - publishing journals, holding conferences etc, which doesn't fool anyone who's had any degree of scientific training, but very definitely impresses a lot of people who don't have the aforementioned training.

Quote:2. Why are we here? (Purpose) What are humans supposed to do with their lives? What is our purpose?
... There is no ultimate purpose. If you feel like following your instincts and reproducing your genes will live on to the next generation.

Quote:3. How do we know what is true and what's not? (Truth) How do you verify the truth of a statement or claim? What sources do you seek for wisdom, knowledge and information?
The best line of the Bible is when Pilate says "What is truth?"... It's not something which is easy to answer. Basically we are limited beings, the fact that we can answer questions about anything with some degree of reliability is a bit of a miracle already. Science, logic, mathematics - these are all collective attempts to discover truth in a reliable fashion. The beauty is that they are not static - we amend our theories and reinterpret data all the time when new information comes to light.

Personally wisdom I think is a life experience thing, knowledge - well, I study a subject if it's interesting and I have the time - that means textbooks. Otherwise day to day you get info from all around - news reports etc. But depending on the information one trusts it or not. If it's a report from a Russian news agency about the devilish doings of the United States one tends to take it with a bit more scepticism than a report of the latest race results from the Olympics.

Quote:4. Where does evil come from? (Morality) How do you explain the existence of evil in the world?
I don't particularly feel that evil exists. It's a religious concept. People do nasty stuff to each other all the time. The reason for that is that we are self-interested, self-absorbed apes who lack empathy - in my opinion.

Quote:5. How do we overcome evil? How can humanity improve and better itself? How can we achieve happiness? Is there a way to conquer the evil in this world?
We work towards a better world. Every little helps, even if it seems hopeless. Every act of kindness makes things a little bit better. Acheiving happiness... that's something for each individual to work out. And conquering evil - there's nothing to conquer. We just gotta become better people. Will take a long time, if it ever happens.

Quote:6. What happens when we die? (Destiny) Is there an afterlife? What is it like? How does one get there?
There is no afterlife. I'm sorry. It's a laughable concept. We die and that's it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
08-02-2015, 11:26 PM

Hello! Big Grin Welcome to the forum.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  I have a project for school for which I am to interview someone outside of the Christian faith. I figured this website would be a good place to look. If anyone could take the time to answer the following questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that I am not here to argue with you. Instead, I am offering you a constructive platform to present your worldview. As such, I ask that you please try to keep your answers in an objective tone and abstain from profanity as much as possible (this is a school project). Thanks again for your help.

I applaud on using the power of the internet to broaden your 'reach'/'Views' etc.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  1(A). How did we get here? (Origin)

Okay... by 'We'.. do you mean each individual? The whole human species? Life upon our small speck of a planet? The planet and its surrounding neighbors? Each break down has a different answer. How 'I' got here is very simple. When a Man and a Woman love each other very much, they rub themselves together in a very special way. Big Grin

Everything after that instance is effectively just 'History' up to this point in time.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  1(B)How do you explain the existence of human beings on this planet?

So far the study of Anthropology, Geology and other such endeavors is showing lots of really interesting evidence/items which allow people to map out the origins of humanity.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  1©How do explain the existence of the planet itself?

The study of Astronomy shows lots of interesting evidence for the origins of the planet/solar system/galaxy etc.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  2(A). Why are we here? (Purpose)

Well.. see my initial response about 'Mommy and Daddy'... Wink

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  2(B)What are humans supposed to do with their lives?

I would posit that people are supposed to 'Live' their lives. The myriad socail and demographic situations that have arisen across the planet's cultures and customs effect that a lot.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  2©What is our purpose?

'Our purpose'? Humanity as a collective whole? Or just a narrower 'Our purpose' as an individual? SO far my 'individual' purops has been, as I alluded to before, to live. I've been getting by doing that on an okay level for some time now.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  3(A). How do we know what is true and what's not? (Truth)

By matching up the information of said claim with how it maps to the reality around us?

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  3(B)How do you verify the truth of a statement or claim?

Wait... isn't this a repeat of the previous question? Or are you now asking how to understand the language that a claim is made in?

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  (Is actually a new and different question='X'(A))What sources do you seek for wisdom, knowledge and information?

Well.. I use the combined power of my friends and colleges accrued experience and the power of the wonderful search engine that is the internet. Smile

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  4(A). Where does evil come from? (Morality)

Wait..? Morality is evil? Or... do you mean where does morality come from and hence the many different definitions of 'evil'/'bad'/'unsavory' things as defined by a morality? On a basic level, is not Morality emergent in any organized social system?

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  4(B)How do you explain the existence of evil in the world?

Why should there not be 'Evil' in the world? What is 'Evil'?

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  5(A). How do we overcome evil?

Well.. with out knowing what 'Evil' is.. how can one overcome something which is so ambiguous, relative and undefined (In this conversation)

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  5(B)How can humanity improve and better itself?

I am guessing you're implying humanity as a species? It would seem, upon looking at the world at large with in which a such a huge population of humans reside that we're doing a bang up job of improving ourselves, since there's so many of us teeming about, as it were.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  (Is actually a new and different question='X'(B))How can we achieve happiness?

What is a working definition for 'Happiness' and once that's been address then seeing out a resolution to such is possible.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  (Wait... we've gone back a question 4(D))Is there a way to conquer the evil in this world?

Again, why should evil NOT be in the world? What is a functional definition of said "Evil'./ Should anything be eradicated within the world?

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  6(A)What happens when we die?

Our bodies cease to function. With that our brain and the firing of neuron within also cease. Hence, like an old Light-bulb, the thoughts that are 'We' fade away into darkness. Hopefully to be remembered, again in fleeting passing, by those who knew us. SO! Unless one archives the fame (Or infamy) to pass on into the keeping of history books, we disappear into the flotsam of all who've teemed before us.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  (Is actually a new and different question='X'©)(Destiny)

'Destiny'? This would seem to imply 'Predestination' in that something, some how, is arraigned/awaiting us?

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  Is there an afterlife?

While many profess that there is. The evidence would seem to indicate that there is not.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  What is it like?

Again, many profess to know but there is no evidence that it is 'Like' anything, since there's no evidence for there being anything of the sort.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  How does one get there?

This again determines on what the postulations of said place are like, given the premise that such a place not actually even exist.

Hope my answers help in some small way.

Much cheers to all.
09-02-2015, 04:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 04:31 AM by CleverUsername.)
May I answer "I do not care" to every question? Cause...that's pretty much how I feel, aside from that last one maybe. And I don't see what reason I have to care.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
09-02-2015, 05:47 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 06:14 AM by Dom.)
(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  1. How did we get here? (Origin) How do you explain the existence of human beings on this planet? How do explain the existence of the planet itself?

All life strives to adapt to it's surroundings. If you don't understand evolution, just look at man's best friend. When you put a Great Dane next to a Poodle, they don't even look like they are the same species. They each evolved for a specific niche, humans aided their evolution by selective breeding. The Great Dane is super fast and super strong - perfect for hunting and bringing down wild boar. The poodle has fur that keeps him dry when swimming to retrieve things out of the water. That is a mini course in evolution for you, the dog breeds only took a few hundred years to evolve because we helped them along. We ourselves took a very much longer time to evolve. Why do you need to explain the existence of the planet? I don't know, and I don't much care. The big bang explanation makes sense, but who knows. Do you really need to invent a miraculous being to fill that gap in our knowledge? The big bang makes more sense.

Quote:2. Why are we here? (Purpose) What are humans supposed to do with their lives? What is our purpose?

Life has whatever purpose you give it. You set your own goals.

Quote:3. How do we know what is true and what's not? (Truth) How do you verify the truth of a statement or claim? What sources do you seek for wisdom, knowledge and information?

You look for facts. You employ logic. What you don't do is invent a magic being in the sky to fill in all the gaps in your knowledge.

Quote:4. Where does evil come from? (Morality) How do you explain the existence of evil in the world?

Evil doesn't exist. People who do bad things usually act on the instinct for self preservation rather than the instinct for the survival of the species. People who do good things act on the instinct for survival of the species rather than self preservation. Also, there are people born with defects in the way their brains process things. I consider them sick, not evil.

Quote:5. How do we overcome evil? How can humanity improve and better itself? How can we achieve happiness? Is there a way to conquer the evil in this world?

Again, there is no "evil". Education helps. In the case of faulty processing in the brain, medicine might help.

Happiness? That depends on how you were raised and what values you gleaned while growing up. One of the ways I achieve happiness is by sitting in the sunshine, drinking a cold one, watching the ducks in the pond and contemplating life. What makes you happy?

Conquering "evil"? Like I said, education and medicine. And, like all social animals do, we need to separate "evil" people we cannot help from society so they can do no harm.

Quote:6. What happens when we die? (Destiny) Is there an afterlife? What is it like? How does one get there?

When you die, you go back to whence you came before you were born. Blissful non existence. That would be my guess. But, who knows? No reason to insert a miracle being extracting our memories from what used to be our functioning brain. There is no indication of that at all.

I will be the first to say that we don't know it all, actually, we don't know much given what all there is and may be to know. Depending entirely on where we were born and how we were raised, we believe in any number of gods. It's what is called "the god of the gaps". Each culture wanted explanations for the inexplicable and took old, mouth to mouth stories told by story tellers and eventually wrote them down. They all read like fairy tales - some components of the instinct for survival of the species mixed with supernatural stuff to fill all the gaps. They make for good reading, but that doesn't make them real. Go study some history, and use ALL available sources, not just the churches, and you will see.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-02-2015, 07:15 AM
All of these "school project" threads should be in their own section in order to not hafta repeat the same shit over and over again. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post