Questions about the Atheistic Worldview

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2015, 05:29 PM
RE: Questions about the Atheistic Worldview
(22-09-2015 08:48 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(22-09-2015 08:16 AM)Worom Wrote:  Oh crap whoops, I just double checked the post dates Sad

Did you come here from DLJ's thread? I mean, no "oops" necessary as you added good info especially in light of DLJ's thread. Wink

Yes I did, I'm usually good about checking dates. I'm glad my info was good though Smile

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Well, I just happened to notice this sub forum, so excuse me for being late to this party! I will be happy to give you my answers.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  Hello members of TheThinkingAtheist,

1. How did we get here? (Origin) How do you explain the existence of human beings on this planet? How do explain the existence of the planet itself?

I don't know, no one really does. There are a lot of ideas and evidence that prove the big bang and evolution. We are simply the current and on going result of endless and countless processes happening on a scale much larger and much smaller then we can imagine.

This is I am assuming you are asking us what caused the beginning of everything and while we don't fully know the answers to that or what caused the first self replicating cells to appear, we do know a lot about all of the in between through science which observes, collects data, tests, repeats and then builds off what it establishes.

Quote:2. Why are we here? (Purpose) What are humans supposed to do with their lives? What is our purpose?

Why we are here is not the same thing as our purpose. Why we are here is explainable through the science of biology and the evolutionary processes that resulted in us being here.

our PURPOSE is whatever we want to give it. I have no purpose. I am kind of ok with that. Maybe I will find something later in life but I myself do not really need a higher calling per se. I am quite content on enjoying the things I do, learning more about the world around me and trying to make the world a better place. So, maybe in a sense that is my purpose. But we all make our own purpose in life. Some are still looking, others spend their life looking for purpose and that journey, that never ending search for purpose is in a way their purpose - To be on an adventure in life!

Quote:3. How do we know what is true and what's not? (Truth) How do you verify the truth of a statement or claim? What sources do you seek for wisdom, knowledge and information?

1. Is it testable?
2. Is it observable?
3. Is it repeatable?
4. Is it verifiable through external means outside of our own human senses?
5. Is it consistent with everything else that we so far know?
6. Can we continue to keep gathering more information from it?
7. Does it commit fallacy in any way?

That is how we know. The moment it breaks away from any of those, its validity becomes in question.

Quote:4. Where does evil come from? (Morality) How do you explain the existence of evil in the world?

Evil does not exist, Evil is a concept of the human mind based on the society it rises from. Every religion, country, and that is why all countries, states, sects, or any other group period!, has different laws and morals and Definatly why morality EVOLVES!!!! In the time of the bible, slavery was not only legal but even Jesus promoted slavery and how to treat your slaves etc etc. So was rape being a requirement for any forced marriage, execution for anyone working on the Sabbath and for a female not being a virgin when she gets married etc etc. These things have evolved over the years and now today, a society that acts like those "good" societies of the bible would be deemed monstrous and one of the worst violators of human rights period ever period.

Quote:5. How do we overcome evil? How can humanity improve and better itself? How can we achieve happiness? Is there a way to conquer the evil in this world?

Abandon religion for starters. As long as there is a single group out there that believes their group is superior to all others and that those other groups deserve to be tortured for all eternity for simply not being one of them is certainly an evil we would be better off without.

Imagine this, what would happen to Africa and the Middle East and everyone were to wake up tomorrow as an Atheist? No more terrorist groups, All those in Africa dying of Aids would tell the Christians who are force feeding them bibles and helping them to fuck off...start wearing condoms and start realizing that they have to work much harder to improve their lives instead of relying on the power of some invisible friend to do it for them.

Africa has tremendous resources and potential to become awesome, If religion such as Islam and Christianity were to simply vanish. Then do something about the last few Warlords there and Unify all African countries under a single flag like the United States with a Secular bill of rights and amendments like what we have and presto! Africa is well in reach of being able to grind its way up to the next world super power!

Quote:6. What happens when we die? (Destiny) Is there an afterlife? What is it like? How does one get there?

Probably nothing. Most likely nothing. There certainly is no reason at all to believe in a deity and no reason to believe in an afterlife.

I would like to believe, it would be nice. But I see no evidence for it so I shall keep living my life the best I can under the assumption that I will not live on.

Of course there are a few desperate things I may try to do. I can try ( if the technology exists at the time ) to download my consciousness into a computer like what is being said might be possible. Although that may just very well be a copy and not the actual me. I could also have my brain cryogenically frozen like what some out there do.

But, I don't think I will ever afford any of those things. So I will simply become a Tree when I die!

http://www.earthporm.com/bye-bye-coffins...nto-trees/

I am thinking maybe a spruce like that 9000 year old one in Sweden. Something that can last more then the next 5000 years or so.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
24-09-2015, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2015 07:16 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-09-2015 10:26 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Well, I just happened to notice this sub forum, so excuse me for being late to this party! I will be happy to give you my answers.

Okay FoxShadow, I'll play too. Big Grin

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  1. How did we get here? (Origin) How do you explain the existence of human beings on this planet? How do explain the existence of the planet itself?

These questions are premature. First, how do you explain the existence of you?

Quote:2. Why are we here? (Purpose) What are humans supposed to do with their lives? What is our purpose?

To make our own purpose.

Quote:3. How do we know what is true and what's not?

It's complicated.

Quote:4. Where does evil come from? (Morality) How do you explain the existence of evil in the world?

Erewhon.

Quote:5a. How do we overcome evil?

Medicate and sedate it.

Quote:5b. How can humanity improve and better itself?

Make the Golden Rule our primary guiding maxim.

Quote:5c. How can we achieve happiness?

I just choose it.

Quote:6. What happens when we die?

You ever been under general anaesthesia? That.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-09-2015, 06:05 PM
(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  Hello members of TheThinkingAtheist,

I have a project for school for which I am to interview someone outside of the Christian faith. I figured this website would be a good place to look. If anyone could take the time to answer the following questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that I am not here to argue with you. Instead, I am offering you a constructive platform to present your worldview. As such, I ask that you please try to keep your answers in an objective tone and abstain from profanity as much as possible (this is a school project). Thanks again for your help.

1. How did we get here? (Origin) How do you explain the existence of human beings on this planet? How do explain the existence of the planet itself?

I have a passing knowledge, but in general don't know, don't care. This had no bearing on my deconversion.

Why do we need a purpose? The fact that we exist is amazing. Just look at the statistical improbability of our existence. We are lucky to exist.
Quote:3. How do we know what is true and what's not? (Truth) How do you verify the truth of a statement or claim? What sources do you seek for wisdom, knowledge and information?

Truth is a label that we place on those things that conform with reality. If I say all apples are black, and I find a green apple, then the statement all apples are black is labeled not true. This is the way truth works. All statements that make claims about the real world must be confirmed by investigation into the real world.

What is meant by evil? If you mean evil actions, those are just labels that we place on actions that have negative social consequences. If you mean natural disasters, shit happens. The universe is indifferent to us, and sometimes things happen.

Quote:5. How do we overcome evil? How can humanity improve and better itself? How can we achieve happiness? Is there a way to conquer the evil in this world?

I don't understand this question. If you think that an action is bad, don't do it. If someone does a thing that is considered bad, they are removed from society. There will always be people that will do bad things, we just have to deal with them as they come along.

Quote:6. What happens when we die? (Destiny) Is there an afterlife? What is it like? How does one get there?

When we die we die. Done. Finished. No more. Nothing. There is no "what it is like" and there is no getting there. You cease to be. You are an ex-person. You shuffle off this mortal coil.
26-09-2015, 06:23 AM
My sister was kicked by a llama.
[+] 2 users Like jabeady's post
26-09-2015, 07:48 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2015 01:22 PM by The Polyglot Atheist.)
I'm sure someone else has replied too, I haven't checked the whole thread but here's mine:

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  How did we get here? (Origin) How do you explain the existence of human beings on this planet? How do explain the existence of the planet itself?

Human beings are the current result of Evolution, which happens and is still happening.

The formation of planets is a known process and happens thanks to gravity that makes formations of dust or rocks collapse into a spheroid.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  2. Why are we here? (Purpose) What are humans supposed to do with their lives? What is our purpose?

Our basic purpose is to live in order to reproduce to pass on our genes. You know, every living thing's purpose. But we're humans, so we can do more than that. In that case, your purpose is defined by you, whatever you want to dedicate your life to.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  3. How do we know what is true and what's not? (Truth) How do you verify the truth of a statement or claim? What sources do you seek for wisdom, knowledge and information?

Evidence, logic and reason are good tools to understand the world around us. They worked quite well so far.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  4. Where does evil come from? (Morality) How do you explain the existence of evil in the world?

What do you mean exactly? There is no "evil" entity. We judge things to be evil depending on their characteristics. Humans are responsible for doing things we can consider evil, who else?

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  5. How do we overcome evil? How can humanity improve and better itself? How can we achieve happiness? Is there a way to conquer the evil in this world?

Eh, sure there is, and I think it starts from the little things. If you do your best to create a good atmosphere and environment around you, you have already contributed to make this world a better place.

(08-02-2015 05:07 PM)NotAnAtheist Wrote:  6. What happens when we die? (Destiny) Is there an afterlife? What is it like? How does one get there?

Well, the evidence suggests that nothing happens. Your consciousness will simply stop because your brain will not be working anymore. There is nothing to suggest an afterlife because what we define life ends at death, by definition, and it requires something physical to exist. There is no mind without brain.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
26-09-2015, 07:55 AM
(26-09-2015 07:48 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  I'm sure someone else has replied too,...

Correct. Over 7 months ago.

Big Grin

26-09-2015, 09:59 AM
(26-09-2015 07:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 07:48 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  I'm sure someone else has replied too,...

Correct. Over 7 months ago.

Big Grin

Lmao, but the other replies are from today and yesterday soo...

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
26-09-2015, 10:07 AM
(26-09-2015 09:59 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 07:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Correct. Over 7 months ago.

Big Grin

Lmao, but the other replies are from today and yesterday soo...

Indeed. Soo... why not?

I enjoy these questionnaires ... makes one think about what one thinks.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-09-2015, 10:51 AM
(09-02-2015 07:15 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  All of these "school project" threads should be in their own section in order to not hafta repeat the same shit over and over again. Tongue

btw, don't say we never do anything for you.

Even if a 7-month response time is below par.

"We are here to serve"