Questions about the value of art in society

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2011, 02:59 PM

RE: Questions about the value of art in society
(28-11-2011 01:28 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Art happens.

Shit happens!

Art is created!

Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2011, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2011 05:49 PM by defacto7.)
How about Shit Art?

I have plenty in the fridge.. Wink

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2011, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2011 05:31 PM by houseofcantor.)
(28-11-2011 01:04 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  OK, let's approach it from another angle.

What is Art?

Art is emergent from the insanity of the artist. Humans are creatures of emotion. Art is emotion outside the human in a tangible form.

(28-11-2011 02:59 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  
(28-11-2011 01:28 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Art happens.

Shit happens!

Art is created!

Tongue

Here we go with the agency. Tongue

Between God and creation is the artist. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-11-2011, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2011 11:17 PM by defacto7.)
Now next time you need support for the arts, and your representative is a conservative Christian, send her/him this masterpiece of one of my favorite all time artists and a member of Brotherhood of Our Lady, an arch-conservative religious group of the 13th century... Hieronymus Bosch... A fine example of good Christian morality.

Download the high res version and look closely... IF you DARE!

But warning... don't look to the RIGHT!

I can see the money flowing in now....

And for further Christian entertainment I give you....

The Temptation of St. Anthony

[Image: 800px-Hieronymus_Bosch_003.jpg]

Sleep well!

28-11-2011, 11:02 PM
arts level of importants in society, I don’t know, what I do know is that I would die without music
[+] 1 user Likes seljusisk.'s post
28-11-2011, 11:26 PM
You wouldn't die, you'd make music. Quit that negative stuff. Tongue

29-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Is art essential? No, society can function without it - only essentials are food, water and reproduction... It makes for a happier society though. I think it can be made solely by enthusiastic amateurs, as great art has more to do with innate skill than rote practice of methods and knowledge of art. I think people get too much drilling in "this is art, that is not" in schools to make them of much use. Art doesn't follow rules, that's what makes it interesting. Anyone can paint by numbers or retell the same story yet again.

Better without God, and happier too.
29-11-2011, 08:53 AM
(28-11-2011 04:05 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  How about Shit Art?

I have plenty in the fridge.. Wink

And here we thought HouseofCantor was a weird dude!

Still, nothing new under the sun:

http://ww.goofball.com/news/Feces_Painti...Art_Lovers

and another:

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Sper...men-2.jpg/

Personally, i have no use for these innovations, nor any of the thousands of silly things people do in order to get attention and seem 'new' or 'different' or 'original' - all easier than learning the old-fashioned skills. (Which one of those guys above, Henning, actually has done; his more conventional work is okay.) I don't feel that anything valuable has been added to my culture, nor that, as a taxpayer, i owe it to my fellow citizens to make this kind of art public.
However, i do think it's a good idea to preserve sample artifacts from every stage of our past for all the people to see and learn about; i think that's an important part of understanding the present state of our civilization.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
29-11-2011, 11:05 AM
(29-11-2011 08:53 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  However, i do think it's a good idea to preserve sample artifacts from every stage of our past for all the people to see and learn about; i think that's an important part of understanding the present state of our civilization.

By all means, Mr. Spock. Wink

29-11-2011, 11:08 AM
(29-11-2011 08:53 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Still, nothing new under the sun:

Personally, i have no use for these innovations, nor any of the thousands of silly things people do in order to get attention and seem 'new' or 'different' or 'original' - all easier than learning the old-fashioned skills. (Which one of those guys above, Henning, actually has done; his more conventional work is okay.) I don't feel that anything valuable has been added to my culture, nor that, as a taxpayer, i owe it to my fellow citizens to make this kind of art public.
However, i do think it's a good idea to preserve sample artifacts from every stage of our past for all the people to see and learn about; i think that's an important part of understanding the present state of our civilization.

Bingo... proves the bible is right... "nothing new under the sun" Ecclesiastes. Now there is a brilliant multi dimensional view of the answer.

There ain't anything new. Until humans evolve another set of sense apparatus, it's all been done. It's ridiculous when people use fed funds to promote "new" that isn't. I agree 100%. There are millions of ways to experience creativity and most or all humans have never been to those places.

Money and snobbery! That is the only reason politics or governments are involved in the avant-garde arts.

I'm not saying that if one wishes to make "art" using shit or urine, fine. Call it entertainment. A few will get a laugh. But they need to pay for it themselves the gov doesn't pay for the advancement of entertainment.