Questions and Thoughts.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Questions and Thoughts.
So in the old testament God makes a lot of appearances and talked with the "chosen few" such as Abraham and Moses. So a lot of the talks that happen between these few chosen have only two(or one) people were talking God and said person. So in the instance of Moses on the mountain talking to God....how did the author know for sure what was said between them. Moses gave the gist of course of what was told by God but they wouldn't have know the exact phrases.

A lot of this goes on in the old testament and it obvious they just kind of made up the dialogue. So what is keeping them from putting their on man made twist on old folklore? What's keeping them from putting their own opinions in this book and putting God's name on it to make it legit. This whole thing is just a whole bunch of he said/she said and they try to make it seem like they're right because they were chosen(but no one else witness them being chosen they just heard a voice inside telling them this). Be honest with yourself if someone randomly came up to you saying God spoke to them and told them they were the chosen one you'd presume that they should seek mental help or just keep walking. Back then no one clearly understood the planet they were on let alone their own psyche.

Seeing as this is the only thing that put's the idea of a God in play and it is just a huge plagiarized version of previous books such as the Epic of Gilgamesh there is really no leg to stand on. It just still amazes me that people think that us atheist are being blind when all we did was read for ourselves to find answers to better understand for our faith(not all but for me I actually was trying to give religion a shot back in middle school). Most of the atheist I've met were honestly trying to become better Christians the first time they read the bible not out to rip it. So for someone who comes in trying to be open minded and come around to go the opposite way say's a lot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
18-07-2014, 10:35 AM
RE: Questions and Thoughts.
Yeah, it's ridiculous. Not only must the dialogs have been fabricated, but then they were passed down for years through oral tradition, and therefore probably completely changed, before they were ever written down. Of course, the religious will say that God's divine inspiration kept everything intact, but magic is their excuse for everything that doesn't make sense. I wonder how anyone even knows about divine inspiration in the first place. Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
18-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Moses supposedly wrote the first five books of the Bible, so he would have been privy to the conversations. Likewise, if he was indeed talking to God, then he would have been privy to the other conversations as well.

Of course, this would entail both Moses and God existing. I see no reason to believe either proposition.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
18-07-2014, 11:03 AM
(18-07-2014 10:59 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Moses supposedly wrote the first five books of the Bible, so he would have been privy to the conversations. Likewise, if he was indeed talking to God, then he would have been privy to the other conversations as well.

Of course, this would entail both Moses and God existing. I see no reason to believe either proposition.

Well supposedly, of course it also refers to stuff that happened long after the supposed death of Moses so there is that.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-07-2014, 12:10 PM
(18-07-2014 11:03 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-07-2014 10:59 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Moses supposedly wrote the first five books of the Bible, so he would have been privy to the conversations. Likewise, if he was indeed talking to God, then he would have been privy to the other conversations as well.

Well supposedly, of course it also refers to stuff that happened long after the supposed death of Moses so there is that.

Yabut, God told him what was gonna happen after he died. Once you bring God into it, anything is possible.
18-07-2014, 12:12 PM
(18-07-2014 12:10 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(18-07-2014 11:03 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well supposedly, of course it also refers to stuff that happened long after the supposed death of Moses so there is that.

Yabut, God told him what was gonna happen after he died. Once you bring God into it, anything is possible.

[Image: It_100a6a_663520.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
20-07-2014, 03:49 AM
Questions and Thoughts.
I'm not a Christian and I'm not trying to be biased. Your post poses a question which religious people will answer with: “Faith”. Its their faith which leads them to believe in the text of of Bible. Who knows it could be true as we havent seen god so if we cant prove it wrong then we cant prove it right either. The best answer regarding your post was written in the 18th century. Sir Thomas Paine published his work titled: “The age of reason” in which he writes, conversation between a man and god may take place and to him that will be the proof of god but when he goes onto tell others about it then it becomes hearsay. So I believe that every religious texts outthere is nothing more then a hearsay and stories from one being to another. In the process, more and more opinions gets added into it and the limitless exaggeration makes it more magical and somehow “believable to people”.
20-07-2014, 07:00 AM
(18-07-2014 09:53 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So in the old testament God makes a lot of appearances and talked with the "chosen few" such as Abraham and Moses. So a lot of the talks that happen between these few chosen have only two(or one) people were talking God and said person. So in the instance of Moses on the mountain talking to God....how did the author know for sure what was said between them. Moses gave the gist of course of what was told by God but they wouldn't have know the exact phrases.

A lot of this goes on in the old testament and it obvious they just kind of made up the dialogue. So what is keeping them from putting their on man made twist on old folklore? What's keeping them from putting their own opinions in this book and putting God's name on it to make it legit. This whole thing is just a whole bunch of he said/she said and they try to make it seem like they're right because they were chosen(but no one else witness them being chosen they just heard a voice inside telling them this). Be honest with yourself if someone randomly came up to you saying God spoke to them and told them they were the chosen one you'd presume that they should seek mental help or just keep walking. Back then no one clearly understood the planet they were on let alone their own psyche.

Seeing as this is the only thing that put's the idea of a God in play and it is just a huge plagiarized version of previous books such as the Epic of Gilgamesh there is really no leg to stand on. It just still amazes me that people think that us atheist are being blind when all we did was read for ourselves to find answers to better understand for our faith(not all but for me I actually was trying to give religion a shot back in middle school). Most of the atheist I've met were honestly trying to become better Christians the first time they read the bible not out to rip it. So for someone who comes in trying to be open minded and come around to go the opposite way say's a lot.

The existence of Moses as well as the veracity of the Exodus story are disputed among archaeologists and Egyptologists, with experts in the field of biblical criticism citing logical inconsistencies, new archaeological evidence, historical evidence, and related origin myths in Canaanite culture....in other words, more made up BS.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
20-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Who was there to write down in the beginning of Genesis when God said "Let there be light"?

This is an immediate tip-off to the type of game these ancient scribes were playing.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
21-07-2014, 09:39 AM
In all fairness, quotation marks shouldn't be used in these books.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]