Questions for Apologists?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
19-07-2012, 05:11 AM
Questions for Apologists?
If you could ask any question regarding God, the Bible, or Christianity, what would you ask?
I'm going to an Apologetics Conference this month and I want to gather up a few questions to see if I can get varied answers.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2012, 05:42 AM
RE: Questions for Apologists?
See if they how they rectify Judas's death, whether or not his intestines exploded from his abdomen or if he committed suicide.
Acts 1:18
Matt 27:5

If they say both then ask them about the book of Mark where Jesus appears to "the twelve" which Judas was apart. Also in Mark Judas neither kills himself or explodes.
Mark 14:20
In Matthew after committing suicide, which would send him to hell, ask him how Judas will sit on the twelve thrones, of Isreal, judging the twelve tribes of isreal.
Matthew 19:28

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
19-07-2012, 05:46 AM
I would like you to ask them to stop being apologetic and just, once and for all, say they are truly sorry.

Cheer

DLJ

[+] 9 users Like DLJ's post
19-07-2012, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2012 06:08 AM by Atothetheist.)
Do they believe in the standard model of God? (i.e all good, all powerful, all knowing?) Cuz if they do, I already am convinced their God is wrong.

Even if God defies logic, and is all powerful, the problem of evil should provide me with enough information to gauge the likeliness of the God they subscribe to

If God's word is infallible, and can never be wrong, why are there commands to kill people who worship other Gods (OT), and why don't we follow them now?

If the Bible is infallible, and can never be wrong, by definition, the Bible can't be wrong for the time, because it is always the truth.

Which translation is the best one for the Bible? This one is important, not only can you now know which Bible they prefer, some of the other apologists might say a different translation, this is to show you how diverse, and almost dogmatic there prefferances to the translations are.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
19-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Ask them how does a deity "act" before spacetime existed. (meaningless). They will say, "god exists outside space time". (Outside is space. The most they can assert is concurrence.)

Then ask how their non-created being is NOT Special Pleading. Then ask why they do not believe in Logic.

Ask them to give you one property of existence that does not require time.

Ask them anything about the Yahweh god. They won't have a clue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg

Ask them for proof of non infinite regression.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-07-2012, 07:14 AM
I try not to harp on being a prophet in atheistic environments, but let me give you some good advice:

Don't ask no questions ya don't want answered. Big Grin

I was questioning why someone would ask a question of apologetics on an atheist forum, but there seems to be a lot of that kinda thing happening. I see the Buckster brought up time - 'cause he's on it like that - and one of the first things you learn in prophet school - OTJ - is that god does not do sequential time.

The human mind does not do simultaneity. Not, and remain sane.

What I mean to say, is that I don't know wtf you're trying to say. You don't wanna ask questions of god, 'cause you don't want that fucker showing up. I speak from experience. Past that point, are you trying to find interesting questions of them, or are you trying to debunk them?

(19-07-2012 05:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  they are truly sorry.

Yes, they kinda are. Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-07-2012, 07:44 AM
(19-07-2012 07:14 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I see the Buckster brought up time - 'cause he's on it like that - and one of the first things you learn in prophet school - OTJ - is that god does not do sequential time.

The human mind does not do simultaneity. Not, and remain sane.

Yabut, Einstein has been proven correct, (Relativity). Even "Simultaneity" assumes some form of time in place already, it's still time, just not linear time. They will likely have only one or two who get that, and he can ask about Special Pleading. He can also use Relativity to refute the (non) intuitive universe. Ask them what a metric tensor is, or a Dirac Spinnor, and how they "reveal" god(s).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-07-2012, 08:21 AM
(19-07-2012 05:42 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  See if they how they rectify Judas's death, whether or not his intestines exploded from his abdomen or if he committed suicide.
Acts 1:18
Matt 27:5

Matthew just says that he hanged himself. Acts said he did the same; except it seems the rope or platform broke and he fell. But really, this is irrelevant because the Bible never claims to be literally inerrant.

It could very well be that one is true and one was embellished legend. This doesn't damage the claim of inspiration.

Quote:If they say both then ask them about the book of Mark where Jesus appears to "the twelve" which Judas was apart. Also in Mark Judas neither kills himself or explodes.
Mark 14:20

Matthias replaced Judas.

Quote:In Matthew after committing suicide, which would send him to hell, ask him how Judas will sit on the twelve thrones, of Isreal, judging the twelve tribes of isreal.
Matthew 19:28

Matthias.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
19-07-2012, 08:33 AM
(19-07-2012 05:56 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Do they believe in the standard model of God? (i.e all good, all powerful, all knowing?) Cuz if they do, I already am convinced their God is wrong.

All knowing
All powerful
All present

Quote:Even if God defies logic, and is all powerful, the problem of evil should provide me with enough information to gauge the likeliness of the God they subscribe to

Evil is necessary and created by God. If evil didn't exist, humans would be equal to God because they would be perfect.

Quote:If God's word is infallible, and can never be wrong, why are there commands to kill people who worship other Gods (OT), and why don't we follow them now?

Common misnomer. Bible never claims to be infallible. It is inspired by God. There is a message in the Bible that is meant to be taught; literal perfection wasn't God's goal or intent. Never was. The Bible still has a likeness of the times and written by men; however, the message is inspired.

What the Bible claims about it's scripture:
2 Timothy 3:16
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

As for your question, this was a command for the Jews. God commanded this as a preservation for the Messianic Line.

Quote:If the Bible is infallible, and can never be wrong, by definition, the Bible can't be wrong for the time, because it is always the truth.

See above.

Quote:Which translation is the best one for the Bible? This one is important, not only can you now know which Bible they prefer, some of the other apologists might say a different translation, this is to show you how diverse, and almost dogmatic there prefferances to the translations are.

There is no absolutely correct translation. There are more accurate translations. There are also literal translations (words are literally translated) and dynamic translations (thoughts and messages are translated from the words).

Literal translations are more accurate; however, if you wants the most accurate message, you will need to see what the Greek and Hebrew say.

19-07-2012, 08:35 AM
(19-07-2012 06:29 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ask them how does a deity "act" before spacetime existed. (meaningless). They will say, "god exists outside space time". (Outside is space. The most they can assert is concurrence.)

Then ask how their non-created being is NOT Special Pleading. Then ask why they do not believe in Logic.

Ask them to give you one property of existence that does not require time.

Ask them anything about the Yahweh god. They won't have a clue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg

Ask them for proof of non infinite regression.

Can you rephrase your questions? I want to try and answer these, but my brain isn't working right now.