Questions for Theists: God and Power

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Questions for Theists: God and Power
It's said that "God is all powerful. . . . omnipotent [is another way to say it and sound even more holy, I guess]. . . . that there is no power greater than God."

My question is, . . . if he is all powerful, . . . is there anything that can cause god even the most remote level of pain?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2013, 07:09 AM
RE: Questions for Theists: God and Power
I'm not sure the two ideas are related. Just because I can stop my son hitting me, doesn't mean that I always do.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
03-07-2013, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 09:39 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Hemorrhoids.
What do you think happens when you sit on a heavenly throne for gazillions of years.
Sheesh.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Can "ultimate power" or "all powerful" succumb to any danger/pain/attack?
03-07-2013, 09:11 AM
The simple explanation is that you're redefining omnipotence. By asking the question, "is there anything that can cause god even the most remote level of pain?", you are making the assumption that feeling pain lessens power.

God has emotions, and He hurts for His beloved. He already knows and has planned for bad things to happen because of His predestined plan, but He is still sadden at the effects that have to take place upon them.

Why would having emotions be considered to be less powerful?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
03-07-2013, 09:34 AM
(03-07-2013 09:11 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Why would having emotions be considered to be less powerful?

'Cause peeps are dumb. Welcome, theist. Long time.

Contending that the moral law of the universe is conservation of entropy, duplicity would too be conserved. God being self-aware in a collective consciousness of selves is redundancy the system doesn't need. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-07-2013, 09:35 AM
kingschosen, it is hard to not laugh at your signature thing with Benny Hinn, . . . watching the guy in the red sweater go down is just awesome! hehehe

I'm not really talking about emotions, . . . but physical pain. . . . for a being without pain receptors. Does it even make sense?
03-07-2013, 09:38 AM
"Question for theists" on this forum really just means "question for kingschosen."

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
03-07-2013, 09:43 AM
(03-07-2013 09:38 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  "Question for theists" on this forum really just means "question for kingschosen."

No that would be "questions for intelligent theists".
Just wait. The day is young.
PleasyJeeby will no doubt, before the day is out, say something laughable, (cut and pasted from a fundie webste). Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-07-2013, 09:46 AM
(03-07-2013 06:56 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  It's said that "God is all powerful. . . . omnipotent [is another way to say it and sound even more holy, I guess]. . . . that there is no power greater than God."

My question is, . . . if he is all powerful, . . . is there anything that can cause god even the most remote level of pain?

He is in constant hellish pain all the time because of his omniscience.
He knows the pain of every soul he sends to hell for all eternity.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post